Mileage??

HoneyBadger

I know that the mileage one gets has so many variables to it, but can you folks give me an idea of what to expect?
Type of engine, weight of truck, road conditions, weather conditions, traffic, driver, etc......all make huge difference.
I’m just trying to get a ballpark figure. We were using 4.5 to 5 mpg in our mock-up spread sheet. Are we even close?

Type of engine can't help.But the mileage starting out is around 25 cents per mileThe weight of trk varies.This trk is heavy because it larger then the last trk.Weather conditions also varies.You get up in the mountains this time of yr,expect snow.I go to Texas and its beautiful there right now.It mainly depends on the state.You better count on lots of traffic mainly in the heavy populated cities,no fun going thru a constrution zone either with dealing with so much traffic.For me it's not the traffic,i'm use to that but the slow pace.
I know that the mileage one gets has so many variables to it, but can you folks give me an idea of what to expect?
Type of engine, weight of truck, road conditions, weather conditions, traffic, driver, etc......all make huge difference.
I’m just trying to get a ballpark figure. We were using 4.5 to 5 mpg in our mock-up spread sheet. Are we even close?

Fuel mileage around 4.5 to 5 mpg is a good ballpark number to start with, especially if you are considering going with a used big house. I know that the newest rigs are boasting 6 to 7 mpg, but that is for an ordinary factory type sleeper rig, running in ideal conditions, i.e. pulling a dry box or reefer pulled up tight to the tractor, aerodynamic fairings on everything, running moderately loaded on flat ground (no hills, and staying away from the Rockpile Mountains) and keeping the speed down below 65.

Some owner operators I know have switched to super singles too, claiming that they get a mileage boost from them. Just carry one along as a spare, with tools to change it, so you don't get robbed by the roadside repair guys or get a defective equipment ticket from the Revenue Ranger who will stop by while you are waiting for repairs.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread