Let's argue about bedliners

Tazz

Infidel
Drop in or spray in and why?

Been looking at the drop in bed rug but I think I would have to have a tonneau cover for it.

I say just leave it alone.

Slide-in liners are for when there are rust holes in the bed.

But if there is no rust yet, don't put a liner in cuz if water gets between the liner and the bed it'll accelerate the rusting.

Spray in liners require a clean surface to adhere to. And that requires more WORK.

I say just leave it alone.

Slide-in liners are for when there are rust holes in the bed.

But if there is no rust yet, don't put a liner in cuz if water gets between the liner and the bed it'll accelerate the rusting.
Had a slide-in liner in my '92 Dakota. The few times I pulled it up, the metal under it was shiny and polished. The liner rubbed the paint off, but it also kept rubbing the rust off. I had that pickup for 8 years on the Oregon coast. Lived ocean-front. Didn't have a rust problem with that one.

Spray in liners require a clean surface to adhere to. And that requires more WORK.
That's why you pay somebody else to do it in a proper body shop.

The next pickup I had was a 2005 Ram. Had a Rhino-Liner put in it. It got chipped and scratched just like regular paint, so not really impressed with it. Also, that rough surface is slippery and I had to double-tie everything.

So, with this GMC, I'm taking it to get a Bull-Liner. The material is not rough. It's more like a rubberized coating. There are two grades: 1/16" (standard) and 1/8" (industrial). The difference in cost is about $100. I'm going with the thicker one.

Been looking at the drop in bed rug but I think I would have to have a tonneau cover for it.
neither.

i have had 3 trucks now, the first had an oak flooring, so i didn't cover it.

the other 2 had drop in, and frankly, i hated them. PITA to remove and clean the bed yearly. if i should ever get another truck.>??

a simple mat from either a home improvement store, or JC Whitney, and i'm done.

in all my time owning trucks, i never dinged up the sides anyways, and if so, a simple can of factory color spray paint will clean it up for when i trade it in. the new owner can deal with the scratches it has. it is after all, a truck.

and also, no cap, no tonneau cover of any kind. too expensive, and a PITA to remove everytime i want to dump stuff back there.

also, a PITA to shovel snow out of.....!!!!!

so i don't, i drop the gate and drive around till it all falls off.

no laws (yet) about that....

Spray in. Looks good, works good.

Drop ins will scratch the paint and create rust issues.

Spray in. Looks good, works good.

Drop ins will scratch the paint and create rust issues.
thing is, spray in, like a Rhino(??) they have to remove the paint, prep, then spray the liner. too expensive in my book(s).

previous ownership of 3 trucks dictate my future expenditures for truck beds. yes, scratched beds will form rust, but a regular maintenance of the bed, much like oil changes can be done on the cheap.

i really like my 1980 chevy stepside, and it's oak flooring. when i traded it in, back in 1986 for another new truck, this time a fleetside, is when i started the plastic liner from the dealership, can't remember what GM sold back then. but i also have a knack for installing bed rails as well. this too added to the BS of removing those, then removing the liner for a yearly cleaning.

my last truck, had a liner as well, from the Ford dealership. very nice, had cut outs for the factory ties downs in the bed. but here too, i put on a nice set bed rails, as well as the tubular steps..

if i were to never remove the liners for a yearly cleaning, i'd not care to spend the money for a drop in plastic, over a sprayed liner.

i keep (usually) all my trucks on average of 8 years.

in all this time, i absolutely never had any major rust issues, nor minor ones.

i'd much rather spend the extra money on tubular steps (over running boards), mud flaps, and bed rails. unless a new truck is a basic model, most come nowadays with some sort of factory chromed wheels, which i do not replace with outlandishly priced aftermarket ones.

yes, customizing a truck is a personal thing for sure.

but in the end, it's still a truck, a basic workhorse. no one will get more than book value at either trade-in or private sale time.

low mileage does not count, for used anything, save for maybe a class 8 truck.

it is still most times, "by the book" at resale time.

anyone spending more than book value, is a fool.

even these restored trucks we all see, in the paper, online, and on tv shows..... not really worth 10's of thousands of dollars over a brand new one, with a full factory warranty.

it'll be a cold day in hell, i ever buy a used truck, well over 30 years old, for $30,000, with faded paint, from a guy in Texas at the Gas Monkey Garage.....

but some will.......

a sucker is born every minute.....PT Barnum was right.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread