Just got back from a ride along, I'm happy to say I had alot of misconceptions.

Raycubed

It was kind of a last minute decision that was made the night before we left. I had all sorts of excuses for reasons not to go, needless to say I ended up going home that night and grabbing my laundry and sheets, pillows and whatnots.

My first and and biggest misconception was the "dreaded truck stop showers" I had built up visions in my head of what they'd be like that didn't differ much from a screening of Shawshank Redemption. I had envisioned anything between one giant room with nothing but multiple shower heads and broken tiles to something out of the sitcom MASH. (keep in mind I currently have no delusions of grandeur, I have read the "worst Truck Stops thread" lol)

The friend that convinced me to go travels with his wife and she reassured me that most were "not bad at all" I told myself "we'll see,we'll see". Out of preference he only stopped at flying J's, the first one being in Kansas city. Being the first night I was in no need of a shower but was dieing of hunger. We grabbed a bit of food from the hot bar and called it a night.

Juuust as I start to close my eyes and drift away, which took awhile as I was getting used to my new bed for the next 10 days. we were awoken by a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on the drivers door, being in a new place in a new situation I was a little disoriented at first, propping myself up asking "wtf! is that". Warren my friend sighed and said "damned lizard" he rolled down the window and asked her to go away (perhaps not in those exact words) I think I ended up falling asleep about an hour afterwards.

The next morning came waay to early. Warren said he wanted to get out of KC and after that we could stop somewhere to grab a bite to eat. We hopped out of the sleeper and I got a crash course in a PTI and we were good to go.Virginia....here I come.

Day two set in and I was having all in all a good time. Good tunes and good conversation seemed to make the miles fly by. before I knew it the sun was starting to set and it was time to find a place to park for the night. We were just inside of Indiana (I think? I need to get better at remembering where and what road) but it was time for the "dreaded shower".

Warren was nice enough to let me use his points for my showers and it was off to the lounge to wait for our numbers to come up. I can't express how pleasantly surprised I was when I got to my shower (I don't think i'll ever forget the shower number (7) as I was so worried I'd miss the call overhead). Needless to say... I was impressed, the shower was cleaner and nicer than some motels I've stayed in. I felt like a million bucks.

Thankfully night two was nothing but peace and quiet. No one beating on the doors, no subwoofers from people cruising around the stop. But for the life of me I could NOT sleep, every muscle in my body ached like I had done hard manual labor that day. Come to find out I wasn't letting the jump seat do the work I guess I was fighting the bumps and the bucks. Thankfully, by the end of the trip I had become accustom to letting the seat do the bouncing and the rocking.

I believe it was day three as we started to roll into West Virginia. I'd never seen the Appalachian mountains and was in awe of all the hills and trees with their fall colors. I was instructed (tongue in cheek) not to call them mountains as I have not seen the Rockies yet lol.

By day four I was shocked as to how much money I had already spent (misconception No. 2). I thought for some reason I would be able to live "relatively" cheaply but before I knew I had already blown 45 bucks. Lesson learned....bring your OWN food Ray....plus the hot bar stuff is good in all....but not THAT good. Of course being a cigarette smoker did not help the $$ situation much, Second lesson learned is to buy a carton of smokes before hitting the road. I was surprised to see how much the cost of cigarettes varied from state to state.

Misconception No.3 (The Drivers)

In my mind I had pictured everything from the haggard Richard Petty looking types to the sweat pant/sweatshirt rolly pollies that look like it would be easier for them to roll to the stop than walk.

All in all, SOME not all of my misconceptions about the drivers were indeed true. But what I did find was a majority of the drivers seemed to take care of themselves. Heck, I even saw one guy at a fuel island that hopped out of his truck wearing a white collared shirt and khaki slacks.

For some reason I had it in my mind that most drivers were just kinda grumpy and wanted to get to their appt. as soon as possible without conversating to anyone. FALSE! what I found was a group of men and women that were quick to smile and joke or shoot the breeze with if they had the time. I found a group of men and women who the most down to earth people I had ever met in my 27 years on this globe. I'm proud of the work they do and I realize the United States would be a drastically different place without these men and women.

I could probably go on and on about my trip but to make a long story short I've got my CDL handbook here beside me in preparation for getting a learners permit, so the next time out I can get some drivers seat time. Oh and I still need to find an office that can perform my DOT health card exam.

I hope to catch ya guys on the road.

Safe Travels all

-Ray

Sacramento to Elizabethtown, NJ in 4.5 days in a 62mph Swift truck when I was running company side.

I have also like you had to climb up on the steer tire but i just waved a Bic lighter over the jets to get them thawed and trying not to melt them at the same time. Gotta do what we gotta do to keep moving.

A cigarette lighter is plenty enough heat, but most of the time there's too much wind. So I carry a propane torch & just wave it back and forth past the nozzle. One or two passes & it's clear, ... then you gotta immediately get off the truck & hit the washers ASAP to flush the temporarily melted water out of the end of the nozzle before it re-freezes.

Then climb back up & do the other one, LOL.

A cigarette lighter is plenty enough heat, but most of the time there's too much wind. So I carry a propane torch & just wave it back and forth past the nozzle. One or two passes & it's clear, ... then you gotta immediately get off the truck & hit the washers ASAP to flush the temporarily melted water out of the end of the nozzle before it re-freezes.

Then climb back up & do the other one, LOL.
Yup I was thinking thats why you used the torch because of the wind.

They usualy only freeze when the engine has been shut down for a while.

I have some experience with this chemical, Ethylene- Glycol is the very product they use in type one DE-icing on aircraft. Once used it is re-claimed and turned into washer fluid and coolant.

It is only effective when heated and mixed with water. I know you have flown planes and probably know all about that.

I

If you ever want know what ethylene-Glycol taste like and I am not sure why you would? It tastes very sweet like pure sugar. Thats why animals get into coolant, Drink it and die. I know how it tastes because up untill a few years ago it was considered safe and we did open air over wing de-icing. It got all over you face and tou where covered in it by the end of you shift.

If you licked your lips or even showering when getting home it does not wash of easy and you would get a taste of it. After many years of being exposed to this chemical it was deemed unsafe for humans, No ****! How many pets die every year from getting into the stuff. That must be why they called us ramp rats. Experimented on and not valued as highly as dogs! lol

Yup I was thinking that's why you used the torch because of the wind.

They usually only freeze when the engine has been shut down for a while.

I've had them freeze when driving in freezing rain. If I'm not using the washers, like I'm the only vehicle on the road & nobody's spraying filthy crap on my windshield as they're passing me, the water gets inside the end of the jet & freezes. By the time I need them, they don't work, so I stop & grab my torch.

I have some experience with this chemical, Ethylene- Glycol is the very product they use in type one DE-icing on aircraft. Once used it is re-claimed and turned into washer fluid and coolant.

It is only effective when heated and mixed with water. I know you have flown planes and probably know all about that.

I

Nope.

The only time I've ever been in a plane in icing conditions, it's either been in a commercial airliner, or it was an illegal flight with a pilot & plane not certified for IFR conditions & we were only in those conditions long enough to find an airport & get on the ground.

It was kind of a last minute decision that was made the night before we left. I had all sorts of excuses for reasons not to go, needless to say I ended up going home that night and grabbing my laundry and sheets, pillows and whatnots.

My first and and biggest misconception was the "dreaded truck stop showers" I had built up visions in my head of what they'd be like that didn't differ much from a screening of Shawshank Redemption. I had envisioned anything between one giant room with nothing but multiple shower heads and broken tiles to something out of the sitcom MASH. (keep in mind I currently have no delusions of grandeur, I have read the "worst Truck Stops thread" lol)

The friend that convinced me to go travels with his wife and she reassured me that most were "not bad at all" I told myself "we'll see,we'll see". Out of preference he only stopped at flying J's, the first one being in Kansas city. Being the first night I was in no need of a shower but was dieing of hunger. We grabbed a bit of food from the hot bar and called it a night.

Juuust as I start to close my eyes and drift away, which took awhile as I was getting used to my new bed for the next 10 days. we were awoken by a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on the drivers door, being in a new place in a new situation I was a little disoriented at first, propping myself up asking "wtf! is that". Warren my friend sighed and said "damned lizard" he rolled down the window and asked her to go away (perhaps not in those exact words) I think I ended up falling asleep about an hour afterwards.

The next morning came waay to early. Warren said he wanted to get out of KC and after that we could stop somewhere to grab a bite to eat. We hopped out of the sleeper and I got a crash course in a PTI and we were good to go.Virginia....here I come.

Day two set in and I was having all in all a good time. Good tunes and good conversation seemed to make the miles fly by. before I knew it the sun was starting to set and it was time to find a place to park for the night. We were just inside of Indiana (I think? I need to get better at remembering where and what road) but it was time for the "dreaded shower".

Warren was nice enough to let me use his points for my showers and it was off to the lounge to wait for our numbers to come up. I can't express how pleasantly surprised I was when I got to my shower (I don't think i'll ever forget the shower number (7) as I was so worried I'd miss the call overhead). Needless to say... I was impressed, the shower was cleaner and nicer than some motels I've stayed in. I felt like a million bucks.

Thankfully night two was nothing but peace and quiet. No one beating on the doors, no subwoofers from people cruising around the stop. But for the life of me I could NOT sleep, every muscle in my body ached like I had done hard manual labor that day. Come to find out I wasn't letting the jump seat do the work I guess I was fighting the bumps and the bucks. Thankfully, by the end of the trip I had become accustom to letting the seat do the bouncing and the rocking.

I believe it was day three as we started to roll into West Virginia. I'd never seen the Appalachian mountains and was in awe of all the hills and trees with their fall colors. I was instructed (tongue in cheek) not to call them mountains as I have not seen the Rockies yet lol.

By day four I was shocked as to how much money I had already spent (misconception No. 2). I thought for some reason I would be able to live "relatively" cheaply but before I knew I had already blown 45 bucks. Lesson learned....bring your OWN food Ray....plus the hot bar stuff is good in all....but not THAT good. Of course being a cigarette smoker did not help the $$ situation much, Second lesson learned is to buy a carton of smokes before hitting the road. I was surprised to see how much the cost of cigarettes varied from state to state.

Misconception No.3 (The Drivers)

In my mind I had pictured everything from the haggard Richard Petty looking types to the sweat pant/sweatshirt rolly pollies that look like it would be easier for them to roll to the stop than walk.

All in all, SOME not all of my misconceptions about the drivers were indeed true. But what I did find was a majority of the drivers seemed to take care of themselves. Heck, I even saw one guy at a fuel island that hopped out of his truck wearing a white collared shirt and khaki slacks.

For some reason I had it in my mind that most drivers were just kinda grumpy and wanted to get to their appt. as soon as possible without conversating to anyone. FALSE! what I found was a group of men and women that were quick to smile and joke or shoot the breeze with if they had the time. I found a group of men and women who the most down to earth people I had ever met in my 27 years on this globe. I'm proud of the work they do and I realize the United States would be a drastically different place without these men and women.

I could probably go on and on about my trip but to make a long story short I've got my CDL handbook here beside me in preparation for getting a learners permit, so the next time out I can get some drivers seat time. Oh and I still need to find an office that can perform my DOT health card exam.

I hope to catch ya guys on the road.

Safe Travels all

-Ray
Here I'm gonna try to "answer" in 1 reply..

Showers ...Most places got about the same

Instead of Hot or Cold water actually what gets me more is the placement of showerhead and ya gotta dive low cause it was made for some 5 foot soul skinny as toothpick..

As far as "People" out on the Road...

Some GOOD ....Others BAD

Never be Judging either...

I've met good "Racial" people even a Woman who "Spotted" Me into a Tight place ...

Also the Rah Rah.. White Trash Morons

So there's 2 sides of that coin

Here I'm gonna try to "answer" in 1 reply..

Showers ...Most places got about the same

Instead of Hot or Cold water actually what gets me more is the placement of showerhead and ya gotta dive low cause it was made for some 5 foot soul skinny as toothpick..

As far as "People" out on the Road...

Some GOOD ....Others BAD

Never be Judging either...

I've met good "Racial" people even a Woman who "Spotted" Me into a Tight place ...

Also the Rah Rah.. White Trash Morons

So there's 2 sides of that coin
You just answered a thread from 8 years ago. 🤣

If he's been sitting on his ass holding a steering wheel and eating fast food every day for 8 years, he's probably @RaySpherical by now. 🤔
I lost my gut although it's slowly Coming Back..

Thats because I sit on my #$$ all-day eating fast food n stopped walking..

Another 10/15 pounds gonna be pushing "Co-Morbidity" threshhold and gonna have to Bivoac into a Cave somewheres..

Well "Stocked" of course just haven't Completely decided upon the spot..

Once I gotta plan in place stockpiling Food, Jugs Water, Ammo and Pipe Bombs..

Hes probably got 2 million miles under his belt by now and probably grumpier than a Griz with hemorrhoids!
Way back in the day like 2003 I bought this on Cassette Tape at a TA..

Was running a 1995 Shaker Squarenose FL series..

My only Prior Experience was boom truck and some flatbed at the Lumber yard after Tech College..

Passed my Road Test "Hired" anyways

Way back in the day like 2003 I bought this on Cassette Tape at a TA..

Was running a 1995 Shaker Squarenose FL series..

My only Prior Experience was boom truck and some flatbed at the Lumber yard after Tech College..

Passed my Road Test "Hired" anyways

Truth be told spent vast majority of my time there on a Forklift or if I slept in was late got to push a dumpster around till lunch time n pick up all the trash

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread