I got a ton of questions

christina_e

First..

I want to find schooling, but i know for long haul drives I need 150 miles... what school would you recommend and why?

Second:

I want to buddy up with someone for awhile, can I choose who I buddy up with?

Third:
Are you looking for a buddy driver? What kind of qualifications do I need to drive with you??

(1) I would research the schools that will provide you more insite then just getting you able to pass your CDL testing. If you do not have the option of attending a school without the use of a company training program. Then I would be doing my rsearch on what those companies have to offer and are you willing to ride out their contract obligations in order to achive your goal.

(2) When contracting training through a company or coming on as a new driver, most companies will ask you your recommendations, but normally will put you in what every training truck they have available. You can expect to be with that trainer for 3 to 6 weeks, depending on the company.

(3) I cannot really answer this question for you, for I have never teamed a truck with anyone except to train a few new drivers.

Welcome to the forum, Christina

First off, I would erase that 150 mile number from your memory, permanently.

Also, I wouldn't concern myself with any sort of buddy driving, unless you have a friend that is going to start driving as well, or possibly make a good friend while in orientation with a company. Even then, concentrate on getting your training first.

Due to a friend of mine who's brother is currently in training, I have learned quite a bit about Prime's training program, and judging by this guy's experience, it is working out pretty well. I believe he has to drive 60,000 miles total before he gets into his own truck. He got his permit, got hired, then got assigned to a trainer.

During his training to get his actual CDL, he drove something like 30,000 miles (not positive on the total miles, but he did a lot of driving). During this process, he drives ever mile that the truck moves, and the trainer is always in the passenger seat. At no time does the trainer drive the truck in regards obtaining miles. After this time period, he went back to Missouri and took him test to get his CDL. In his case, he was able to go back out with the same trainer (they got along well), and drive in a team operation for the remainder of his training.

Warning, they will push you to get into their lease program. Check it out carefully. I tried it years ago, and it was horrible as far as I was concerned. I hear it has changed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread