Jason's Law for Truck Safety

Maybe they are really tired and are making a wise choice.

But the ones that really amaze me are the ones that park along the scale or somewhere and there are many open spots. I figure they cannot back up or they only do drop and hook in the middle of lots.

Another problem is training. I have set at truckstops watching drivers circling the parking lot multiple times before giving up and leaving, simply because the only available openings were single spots. Makes me wonder how they get parked to load or unload if they are afraid of backing into a single truck stop parking space.

Part of that issue is the amount of space that you actually have to maneuver. There's been a few times where I've pulled in to a parking lot, saw the spot, looked at the space available to maneuver, and mentally just wasn't up to it. Many truck stops have reduced the amount of space to get that rig maneuvered to the bare minimum in the quest to get more spaces. (Add some of the boneheaded parking I've seen some drivers pull, and it just isn't worth trying to wiggle into that spot.)

Part of that issue is the amount of space that you actually have to maneuver. There's been a few times where I've pulled in to a parking lot, saw the spot, looked at the space available to maneuver, and mentally just wasn't up to it. Many truck stops have reduced the amount of space to get that rig maneuvered to the bare minimum in the quest to get more spaces. (Add some of the boneheaded parking I've seen some drivers pull, and it just isn't worth trying to wiggle into that spot.)

Most of these spaces (not all of course), a driver can get into. It might require a proper set up, actually getting out of the truck, and might require some of the ignorant drivers who like to sit and laugh at other drivers to get out and help a little (especially when the driver trying to park is tired, and/or inexperienced)

I for one, have not like for years how Petro makes you nose into spots. With the IdleAire, it isn't so bad, but when I see guys do it out of laziness in really crowded lots, I think Good luck getting out.

Quick story about 2 morons. Swift vs. Prime. Last night, Hurricane, WV. Swift noses into a parking spot, crooked as can be within the lanes. Straight, but crooked within the lanes. Prime, takes the "handicapped" (Don't get me started on that either) spot next to him, and has plenty of room on his right side near the aisle. Swift starts to back out of the spot, waaay too close to Prime's left side mirror. THE PRIME DRIVER IS SITTING THERE WATCHING THIS, IN THE DRIVER SEAT. I walk past, take my leak, buy my case of water for the fridge, walking back out TA DA Swift wiped out the mirror on the Prime truck. Why didn't the Prime guy either ground guide the guy out, or move his truck 12 inches forward and to the right? Equal parts stupidity, that's why. Both of 'em, stupid equally. Oh, and it was mega early, and still plenty of parking left.

Bull, I think you're right about trip planning with regard to parking. In part. Right now, I'm 180 miles from where I need to be in the morning, so I'll have to get up early, and deliver just after 7 or 8. Now, it's not a big deal for me, because I don't really do appointments, but someone delivering to a Winn Dixie, Publix, SuperValu, or any other god awful grocery house might easily screw themselves by being 15 minutes late if they hit a small traffic jam in that 180 miles.

Aside from the obvious message this sends forth (which is SCREW PULLING REFERS), I think it's also important to understand that your plan may not work for everyone. Maybe some of those guys got loaded late, and need to rush to that totally overcrowded place to grab a whopping 2 hours of sleep before going in to deal with lumpers and crap. Granted, that's not a mainstay, but it happens a lot. REscheduling appointments at grocery houses because a driver missed an appointment isn't easy, and may take days.

So you're right, the HoS rules are (and I said this in another thread, and got lambasted) impractical, foolish, and ignored all too often.

So again, we agree. The government doesn't have all the answers.

But they're trying to help out this time. Not regulate or restrict.

How about they grant the money to someone who builds parking lots, or a paving company, or something like that? A private company (and I think we agree on this again) would use the money a lot better. Still, it wouldn't build many lots, but places like LA, San Diego, this week in my case, Wilmington, NC could use a paved, lighted, secure lot to park in. Even if all it had were porta poopers.

A particular truck stop I was in this week could really benefit from some extra parking. The WilcoHess in Troutman, NC doesn't have a very big lot to begin with. The dirt lot behind the place was barricaded off, and there's a huge bluestone lot that could really be used for probably an extra 20-30 trucks.

With the dirt lot, and the bluestone lot, this place could easily fit about 100 trucks more than it does now.

And this is one place that could really use it. NC doesn't have a lot for parking along I77.

Ok, I have something to say.....First of all Roadmedic most truck stops already charge for truck parking, Some even if you buy fuel.
Also I myself don't see many area's being built with that money from all mention above and the fact land will need to be bought. Which will most likely be over inflated.
I'm talking about rest area's as far as the bill.............

This parking prob has only been getting worse than better...Ive havent been otr in 8 years but when I drive by my local t/s I feel the pain the drivers are going thru. I really object to the money without a viable PLAN. Seeing how it is most drivers want to park in a well secure area I believe the trucking industry ought to look at trucking zones or districts around the country in every state where trucks can park. the private sector is in the truck stop business for profit and not so much for the best interests of the driver i.e charging to park at ontario, ca t/a

Family thanks truckers, lawmakers for supporting grassroots efforts for ‘Jason’s Law’

Family thanks truckers, lawmakers for supporting grassroots efforts for ‘Jason’s Law’
5/13/09
The family of slain New York trucker Jason Rivenburg started an online grassroots petition just two months ago as a way to deal with their grief.
Cassandra Hardendorf, Jason’s aunt, wrote the petition for “Jason’s Law” for safe and secure parking for truckers nationwide after he was fatally shot for $7 while parked at an abandoned gas station in South Carolina.
Their voices have been heard.
So far, more than 6,270 truckers and their families, including many OOIDA members, have signed the petition for “Jason’s Law.” Click here to sign the petition. Bills have has been introduced in both the U.S. House and Senate by lawmakers from New York state.
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2009/May09/051109/051309-03.htm

I have to pay a "donation" to sign the petition, for better use of tax money I'm already paying?

I guess I support the law, but not the petition. I didn't know petitioning required a "donation". :rolleyes:

Knowing our Government, we could very well be spending tax money to get something started that will end up in Government owned parking areas, which are leased to a foreign company who will turn around and charge us by the night to park on the areas we paid to set up.

I'm not saying to support it, or not support it, but everyone owes it to themselves to be properly and thoroughly informed about the plan of action before they make their decision.
You said a mouthfull there bullwinkle.I can't agree or disagree because everything you said is right on the money.We all need to look deeper into this instead of coming up with our own assumptions.That's what's wrong with todays society we all come up with what is happening to our money and not looking into it including myself.Media plays a big part in it and they don't know anymore then you and I do.

I have to pay a "donation" to sign the petition, for better use of tax money I'm already paying?

I guess I support the law, but not the petition. I didn't know petitioning required a "donation". :rolleyes:

Nope.
Just signed without donating, simply backpage or close out.
"Signature recorded" was displayed at top of donation page. Just don't hit "next" at the bottom.

Most of these spaces (not all of course), a driver can get into. It might require a proper set up, actually getting out of the truck, and might require some of the ignorant drivers who like to sit and laugh at other drivers to get out and help a little (especially when the driver trying to park is tired, and/or inexperienced)

I hate to sound like one of the "grumpy old guys" or something, but I distinctly remember when i first started driving that if you were in the aisle, waiting on a guy to back into a spot, it was customary to turn off your headlights so that you didn't shine them in his mirror, then in his face as the right side of the truck came around to follow the trailer into the spot.

Not long ago, I actually saw a guy with with lights on, shining at the guy, AND he was on the CB acting like a jerk. I wanted to yank him out of his cab, and beat his brains in with my flashlight.

Instead as I walked by, I just knocked on his door, as he opened his window and started with some smartass comment about how bad the guy was doing, I held up my hand to shut him up, and told him that turning his headlights off would help, and maybe he wouldn't have to sit there so long. Then I called him an asshole, and left to go take my shower.

I get pretty short of patience sometimes. *shrug*

Not to skew the topic too much, but the point is, help from other drivers getting into tight spots can really help a guy sometimes. And that's what is supposed to happen. That's "the brotherhood" you guys keep talking about. It's still there, it's just not as big.

Knowing our Government, we could very well be spending tax money to get something started that will end up in Government owned parking areas, which are leased to a foreign company who will turn around and charge us by the night to park on the areas we paid to set up.

I'm not saying to support it, or not support it, but everyone owes it to themselves to be properly and thoroughly informed about the plan of action before they make their decision.

Well, that's no where in this legislation, although all things are possible.
We could assume that spending money on military budget could result in selling arms to our enemies, therefore we shouldn't authorize military spending.
Come to think of it, the CIA has been caught doing just that. That's why we are to be vigilant.

Military is controlled by our Government, so not going to get into comparing this with trucking, which should not be controlled by our Government.

I hate to sound like one of the "grumpy old guys" or something, but I distinctly remember when i first started driving that if you were in the aisle, waiting on a guy to back into a spot, it was customary to turn off your headlights so that you didn't shine them in his mirror, then in his face as the right side of the truck came around to follow the trailer into the spot.

Not long ago, I actually saw a guy with with lights on, shining at the guy, AND he was on the CB acting like a jerk. I wanted to yank him out of his cab, and beat his brains in with my flashlight.

Instead as I walked by, I just knocked on his door, as he opened his window and started with some smartass comment about how bad the guy was doing, I held up my hand to shut him up, and told him that turning his headlights off would help, and maybe he wouldn't have to sit there so long. Then I called him an asshole, and left to go take my shower.

I get pretty short of patience sometimes. *shrug*

Not to skew the topic too much, but the point is, help from other drivers getting into tight spots can really help a guy sometimes. And that's what is supposed to happen. That's "the brotherhood" you guys keep talking about. It's still there, it's just not as big.

This would definitely help the parking issue, most likely more than creating Government funded parking. Lots of drivers preach the brotherhood, yet I rarely see a driver out there helping out another driver. Instead, they want to intimidate them because of the name on their truck.

Military is controlled by our Government, so not going to get into comparing this with trucking, which should not be controlled by our Government.
TWIC cards, DOT, FMCSA, Highway Patrol, Customs, etc.
Sure, I'd go along with abolishing gov't control.
But since that isn't the world we find ourselves in, I'll stand by the analogy.
Never said military was exactly the same as trucking, but the point brought up was about possible misuse or misdirection of taxpayer's money.

Never said military was exactly the same as trucking, but the point brought up was about possible misuse or misdirection of taxpayer's money.

And this is exactly why we need more details before running off in support of something the Government is in charge of.

You mention TWIC, that is already being abused by people not using it for what it was intended for. Won't be long until TWIC infiltrates most aspects of trucking, not just ports.

Just about everything you mentioned regarding Government involvement in trucking is proof that we need to be very careful about letting them get yet another finger of involvement in the industry.

I completely agree that government should be kept out as much as possible. Everytime I hear someone talk about HoS, and how it needs "reform" I cringe.

But reference the truck stop I talked about earlier. There are places where this money could really be used. Of course, this amount of money might just fund the study to find this and other places, and not actually get anything done, but I still think it'd be a start.

Oh, and how about when a truck stop is EMPTY, and a guy parks on the ramp across the street, and litters, and high idles the truck at 62 degrees, in front of a residential neighborhood, we use part of that money to have a goon squad to smack him around. God, thats stupid.

The "study" is the first waste of money that will be made. I am sure trucking associations would glady poll their members "for free" and give very accurate results on where truck parking is the biggest issue. I think just the members of this forum could come up with a good list for this.

I also think a little common sense regarding putting an end to this ignorant 14 hour clock would alleviate this problem some as well. With this rule, we are forcing drivers to get as close to their destination as possible, which results in even more overcrowding of truckstops near big cities. A little more flexibility in the hours of service would allow those drivers to stop an hour or three away, without killing their chance at productivity the next day, not to mention it would cut down on the falsification of logs by drivers that already do this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread