Jason's Law for Truck Safety

Lay out exactly how and where the $120 Million is going to be spent, and a roadmap for future progression of this law, and I will decide whether I support it or not.

If I were in the government I would do exactly that...you are smarter than that I would hope. You knew what I ment when you read my post.

We have been working getting this to congress.

Have you been in contact with your elected officials? Or are you waiting to see what happens and then join in?

Ya know, even though I drive yet but I plan on it. I support this bill and like everyone said it's a start. You can't just put all the money towards one project and besides we got to take baby steps before we can walk. It's about time this industry got positive change!

Me? Neither. I not excited really about the Government getting involved in truck parking, nor do I feel a reason I should be excited about it.

I look at this an can only think about how truckers have flocked away from the independents in favor of all the big national chains, which has been a big contributor in the lack of parking, and now we want to get the Government to come take care of us on this issue as well.

If you want the Government involved in another aspect of this industry, then by all means, support it. I'm personally not interested in it because I have no faith in it working without it taking 10 times more out of my pocket than needed. I would rather see all you truckers who are pushing for this law, who know it will result in more taxes, spending that extra dollar or so on the independent truck stops which would probably do the parking situation a whole hell of a lot more good.

But, that will never happen. The truckers who do not support this will still use the big chains when the parking is available. You, may not but others will trust me.

So if I understand it right, if Ma and Pa truck stop has all the big potholes and dirt parking lot and no lights or camera's and only has enough room to park a few trucks in.

Then across the street is a big Pilot or Flying J, or a Petro or T/A you know one of the big chains and it has nice black top lot well lit and plenty of parking...your going to Ma and Pa's?

I don't think so.

Of course here is another one of a million things we the tax payers have to support.But look at it this way if that 120 million was'nt used for this we would be using it for something else that may not even pertain to the american people.Who knows if it were'nt for this that money may be used for illegal immigration research sorry just had to add one of my earmarks.LOL

And they are in that shape why? Because truckers supported the big chains that starved them almost out of existence.

And now, because parking is so much less available, we should be happy to spend that money we were saving at the big chain truck stops and give lots more to the Government via taxes? Makes sense to me.

Again, let me see something written up well that explains all of this, where the money is going to go, and the roadmap for the future, and I will decide if it is something I should follow like the Pied Piper. Until then, I will look at how many things the Goverment has gotten started, with the support of us Citizens, only to have us screwed in the end, or watch epic failure take place.

Simply not going to go support something that is nothing more than a rough outline. That makes about as much sense as going out and voting for "change". That worked out well.

I guess it is a matter of preference. I want less Government intrusion, not more.

Here's another thought, stop spending the money on the great ATA (yet another great waste of money), and direct that money to a useful plan for safe parking.

I only have a moment to post & this may be redundant to what others have said.
One Dollar is better than Zero Dollars.
Every single state is lining up to collect their Infrastructure Stimulus Government Payout.
Truckers should be part & parcel to the Infrastucture monies being doled out right now, "Jason's Law" or not.
On Twitter I met an ex-Trucker who has a small grass roots group in SW Georgia for "Fair Tax" & he is huge on revealing Government Waste on such programs that turn into "back-slapping" sessions.
Between he & I collaborating BOTH of our Missions on Twitter began to blossom.
Number 1 by talking to politically active people & concerned citizens who demand accountability & transparency in Government.
We made efforts to follow politicians NOT Truckers who are already aware of the issues.
This has made people come to us for more information & TRUE facts.
I encourage everyone to write, call, email, & Tweet on Twitter Without HATE.
People, Non-Truckers are genuinely interested in Truckers in a New Way.
Politicians are getting on Twitter because they MUST to stay relevant.
I support "Jason's Law" & its terrible that this tragedy had to occur for anyone to pay attention to this issue.
Perhaps we should be a team of rivals though & get the word OUT to the people & out of the Trucking Industry Leaders who have been unable to effect changes.
People care about human beings NOT Organizations.
All of us have a story to share to help
Posted via Mobile Device

Of course here is another one of a million things we the tax payers have to support.But look at it this way if that 120 million was'nt used for this we would be using it for something else that may not even pertain to the american people.

Knowing our Government, we could very well be spending tax money to get something started that will end up in Government owned parking areas, which are leased to a foreign company who will turn around and charge us by the night to park on the areas we paid to set up.

I'm not saying to support it, or not support it, but everyone owes it to themselves to be properly and thoroughly informed about the plan of action before they make their decision.

Truck stops do not want additional parking areas to be made such as Rest Areas or Truck only parking areas. They cannot get the revenue from a truck that is not parked on their lots.

I look for those truckstops to eventually start charging for parking.

In the interest of staying on topic, let me first say that top priority was given to increased parking at existing rest areas on interstate highway system, then at commercial truck stops, then possibly opening up other facilities for additional parking.
The priority focus is good and I don't know how patronizing mom&pop truck stops would go a long way to increase parking.
That said, Bullwinkle brings up a fair point that underlies bigger issues.
Most of us agree that involving gov't invites wasteful, inefficient and even unwanted spending.
But some projects are too big or widespread to depend on local or regional funding.
That's why Eisenhower made the interstate system a federal project requiring all of us to contribute.
And as persuasive an argument as it is to keep gov't out and let private enterprise fix it, unless it's a really, really good idea - it's not going to fix a really, really big problem. That's the dilemma.
It also brings to light the problem of constant saying "no" to proposals without having a better solution. Eventually people will demand the problem be fixed and consequences be damned. No one offered a better plan and "no" became unacceptable.
Trying to tiptoe around party politics here, but you get my point.
If the answer to proposal is "no", then have a good plan to offer, otherwise....

Has anyone even read the text of this legislation? I know you haven't Bull because you have actually commented on the funds source and being taxed more money. The money is being allocated from the Highway Trust Fund. As for the details of how this would be implemented...read the legislation's text, my friend.

This legislation directs the Secretary of Transportation to implement a pilot program and address the issue of truck parking, and I see this as a huge opportunity to get this serious issue addressed and achieve some positive change for truckers. Is that not what we're all about...positive change for once. Well it's becoming obvious maybe it's not all of us, but at least a good chunk of us have realized the reality of dealing with the a-holes on the hill ~ and dammit we have an opportunity to actual get something done at least with one of the many issues truckers deal with daily.

-ss-

Has anyone even read the text of this legislation? I know you haven't Bull because you have actually commented on the funds source and being taxed more money. The money is being allocated from the Highway Trust Fund. As for the details of how this would be implemented...read the legislation's text, my friend.

This legislation directs the Secretary of Transportation to implement a pilot program and address the issue of truck parking, and I see this as a huge opportunity to get this serious issue addressed and achieve some positive change for truckers. Is that not what we're all about...positive change for once. Well it's becoming obvious maybe it's not all of us, but at least a good chunk of us have realized the reality of dealing with the a-holes on the hill ~ and dammit we have an opportunity to actual get something done at least with one of the many issues truckers deal with daily.

-ss-

Don't hold your breath on Ray Lahood doing anything good for truckers. He was my representative for many years. I know his history.

Don't hold your breath on Ray Lahood doing anything good for truckers. He was my representative for many years. I know his history.

It's going to be pretty difficult for LaHood to ignore a NTSB Special Investigation Report "Truck Parking," from 2000 and the subsequent committees findings...as well as impact study findings and surveys. Many of us are already aware of the process which occurs if this bill gets passed, and are prepared to act regarding the presentation of this, as well as a hell of lot more, when the moment arrives.

Also, do keep in mind it won't be LaHood handling the setting up of the pilot program's process and requirements. It will be most likely deligated to one of the many departments within the U.S. DOT. My guess would be that FHWA will be the department to handle this particular pilot program.

-ss-

I just know the way he operates.

He will work for delays as much as possible. The truckstop companies will be in his pocket as well.

Here's another thought, stop spending the money on the great ATA (yet another great waste of money), and direct that money to a useful plan for safe parking.

I disagree with most of what Bull is saying here, but this I agree with. The ATA has done very little for drivers, except issue million mile patches you can barely read.

I'll continue to support this bill, but agree with Bull that a real layout plan for the money is needed.

Not supporting a baby step means difficulty walking later on, so no supporting the bill now makes no sense.

Yes, SS, I have read the legislature, and yes, I know the money is supposed to be coming from the Highway Trust Fund. Newsflash, there is no money there, which is why we keep getting bills introduced to try and find a way to tax us even more than we are being taxed now.

Like I said, lets see a full plan of action, specifically how the money will be spent, and a roadmap for the future of this plan. At that point, I might support the Government sticking their nose further into trucking.

At some point, we have to realize that we can't keep looking to the Government to throw money at problems. Maybe everybody should take a step back and understand why parking has become the problem that it has become and start fixing the problems, not throwing a patch over a big problem.

Not to mention, we need a much better evaluation of how much money will end up being spent on this project.

10-4, Bull. What you are looking for does not occur until a "Pilot Program" bill is passed. That is how it works regarding legislation pertaining to pilot programs. And let's do at least come to an agreement - or agree to disagree - that issues pertaining to interstate commerce requires federal gov't. Reason...it is a national activity which our constitution enumerates the power to Congress to oversee such interstate activities.

I will respectfully step out of this.

-ss-

Yes, SS, I have read the legislature, and yes, I know the money is supposed to be coming from the Highway Trust Fund. Newsflash, there is no money there, which is why we keep getting bills introduced to try and find a way to tax us even more than we are being taxed now.

Like I said, lets see a full plan of action, specifically how the money will be spent, and a roadmap for the future of this plan. At that point, I might support the Government sticking their nose further into trucking.

#1, They are going to raise your taxes anyway. That's what democrats do. That's all they do. I'm not sure 120 million is really anything to worry about, and I don't think it's going to make your property taxes skyrocket. This amount of money is going to be as effective as polishing a turd, but would you simply rather have nothing? Nothing at all? No sort of movement whatsoever?

#2, As far as a road map for this plan, they don't even have that for the 787 billion they just magicked up, what makes you think yours is a realistic standpoint?

#3, What specifically do you think are the problems that caused the parking shortage? Because for the last few months, I haven't really seen one. At least, the parking issue isn't as bad as it was say, two years ago. Understandably, this is a negative as it means a lot of people are out of work, but it doesn't explain your issue at all.

#3, What specifically do you think are the problems that caused the parking shortage? Because for the last few months, I haven't really seen one. At least, the parking issue isn't as bad as it was say, two years ago. Understandably, this is a negative as it means a lot of people are out of work, but it doesn't explain your issue at all.

For me personally, I have never been of the mindset that it is as bad as it gets made out to be. Sure, there are places where there simply isn't any parking, but over time I learned where those places were and would stay a little farther away from my destination, rather than taking a chance that parking would be there. That said, when I leave for Ohio in the morning, I will probably end up pissed off because I have nowhere to park all because of the comment I just made :)

As I have said multiple times in this thread, I don't like the idea of Government getting involved in the trucking industry any further than they already are. I simply don't like it.

Some of the problems:

The key problem is the insane hours of service restrictions placed on drivers. As I said in this post, I am a guy that will park a ways away from my pickup or delivery location if the chance is great that parking will be a problem in the city. When you do like I do, it puts a strain on your available hours once you deliver, so most try to get as close as possible to their destination, without regard for the potential parking problem. 99% of the time, I would bet that if a driver thought ahead and stopped a little early, the parking issue might not seem so big. Also, if some common sense was applied to the Hours of Service, drivers could go and find safe parking, without having to worry about going over that magical number that suddenly tells a driver he has to go to sleep.

Another problem is training. I have set at truckstops watching drivers circling the parking lot multiple times before giving up and leaving, simply because the only available openings were single spots. Makes me wonder how they get parked to load or unload if they are afraid of backing into a single truck stop parking space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread