Its Harder Than It Looks

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Despite High Hopes, Self-Driving Cars Are ‘Way in the Future’
Ford and other companies say the industry overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles, which still struggle to anticipate what other drivers and pedestrians will do.

By Neal E. Boudette
  • July 17, 2019
A year ago, Detroit and Silicon Valley had visions of putting thousands of self-driving taxis on the road in 2019, ushering in an age of driverless cars.

Most of those cars have yet to arrive — and it is likely to be years before they do. Several carmakers and technology companies have concluded that making autonomous vehicles is going to be harder, slower and costlier than they thought.

“We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” Ford’s chief executive, Jim Hackett, said at the Detroit Economic Club in April.

In the most recent sign of the scramble to regroup, Ford and Volkswagen said Friday that they were teaming up to tackle the self-driving challenge.

The two automakers plan to use autonomous-vehicle technology from a Pittsburgh start-up, Argo AI, in ride-sharing services in a few urban zones as early as 2021. But Argo’s chief executive, Bryan Salesky, said the industry’s bigger promise of creating driverless cars that could go anywhere was “way in the future.”

He and others attribute the delay to something as obvious as it is stubborn: human behavior.

Researchers at Argo say the cars they are testing in Pittsburgh and Miami have to navigate unexpected situations every day. Recently, one of the company’s cars encountered a bicyclist riding the wrong way down a busy street between other vehicles. Another Argo test car came across a street sweeper that suddenly turned a giant circle in an intersection, touching all four corners and crossing lanes of traffic that had the green light.

(Read more here...)

I bet given 100 yrs the self driving ones will be better at it than we have for the last hundy.

Just a thought.

Probably one of the situations where that bullcrap makes sense. Out in the middle of nowhere, just run from one terminal to the other.
Yes, if it is going from UPS to UPS, they can set things up where they have drivers on each end to handle it, if they ever get to the point of sending them without a truck.

As it stands, though, they did it just like everyone else. Sent with a driver (two actually), and you see none of the dock maneuvers because the truck can't do that.

One of massive dust storms out there would be an interesting test case, I just hope I'm not in it's path.

Wait, what? If they send me in a self driving truck, they need to send an engineer with me too?
Me to drive the truck in an emergency and an engineer when the damned thing goes blue screen.

I really ain't worried about it. I got 19 years left in this B.S. and I don't think they will send a truck unmanned in that time and if they do, I will just find something else to do.

As I've repeatedly said over the years, self - driving vehicles become a truly viable thing only when every vehicle is on a common network to share current data and intentions. And at that point, it's better to have an external control. Big Brother will be driving you!

As I've repeatedly said over the years, self - driving vehicles become a truly viable thing only when every vehicle is on a common network to share current data and intentions. And at that point, it's better to have an external control. Big Brother will be driving you!

Just think. a warrant is issued for your arrest for upaid parking tickets. The minute that warrant become active, your car proceeds to a location, without your knowledge, where police are waiting to arrest you. hhhmmmmmm..........

Just think. a warrant is issued for your arrest for upaid parking tickets. The minute that warrant become active, your car proceeds to a location, without your knowledge, where police are waiting to arrest you. hhhmmmmmm..........
Half the people in this country would think that's just awesome. 🙄

Go to court or pay your tickets "and now your under control" I never thought I would quote a shitty band like Rage against the machine.

Half the people in this country would think that's just awesome. 🙄
and the heads are exploding on the other half right now, just thinking about it..... and wondering if they have any unpaid parking tickets.

and the heads are exploding on the other half right now, just thinking about it..... and wondering if they have any unpaid parking tickets.
No. The other half would never be stupid enough to buy a car that drives itself. 🙄

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread