I'm looking for some honest feedback.

I was reading somewhere that a driver was still gonna go with the load to watch over it. but who knows what there gonna do:confused-96:. I don't see them coming out for a long time because insurance companies would have to rewrite the script to there polices and the cost to manufacture the trucks:stare1:! and from what else I was reading theres only gonna be a drivers seat :D and one bunk for one driver:eek: but who knows what these moronic idiots are gonna do:confused-96:. I don't think even they know what there gonna do:confused:

I was reading somewhere that a driver was still gonna go with the load to watch over it. but who knows what there gonna do:confused-96:. I don't see them coming out for a long time because insurance companies would have to rewrite the script to there polices and the cost to manufacture the trucks:stare1:! and from what else I was reading theres only gonna be a drivers seat :D and one bunk for one driver:eek: but who knows what these moronic idiots are gonna do:confused-96:. I don't think even they know what there gonna do:confused:
There's no way in hell any company is going to pay the price for an autonomous truck and accept the liability & insurance rates and still pay a driver to ride along & babysit.

The purpose is to get rid of drivers since it's a job that can't be exported to China or India.

I hope the first company that uses one has their truck hacked and crashed into a crowd of democrats & gets sued out of existence. Or that their CEO gets beaten to death by a bunch of drivers.

There's no way in hell any company is going to pay the price for an autonomous truck and accept the liability & insurance rates and still pay a driver to ride along & babysit.

The purpose is to get rid of drivers since it's a job that can't be exported to China or India.

I hope the first company that uses one has their truck hacked and crashed into a crowd of democrats & gets sued out of existence. Or that their CEO gets beaten to death by a bunch of drivers.
and who's gonna fuel the POS:confused-96:

I do think a pjysical with a company will be a answer you may seek..I think you can work up to age of 68..I think...im am going continue to drive long as im able..#ss dont pay much and people are still working way up in there 60s

I do think a pjysical with a company will be a answer you may seek..I think you can work up to age of 68..I think...im am going continue to drive long as im able..#ss dont pay much and people are still working way up in there 60s

My Brother-in-Law will be 80 next Birthday and is still :shift: Arctics and shows no signs of slowing down...I hope I'm as :yippee-1: if I reach that Age...

Last edited:
I just passed my medical with flying colors for my CDL so that isn't an issue. What concerns me is getting experience with a combination vehicle, I've been driving passenger buses. Any comments on possibilities with getting hired in some capacity and still needing on the road experience with a truck? I do feel more hopeful with the info you all have been giving. Although I am wondering what Duck is indicating, is the industry moving towards driver-less trucks? A driver-less car is one thing but a huge vehicle without a human operator sounds risky.

He has...Truckin'...:harumph:
SHE, not a he....

and using trucking as a "hobby" is just the wrong answer. There is so much that can go so wrong quickly. Had she a lifetime of experience it would be a different outcome, but not as a rookie with little to no experience to do this "casual".

If it's because you want to go out and see some country side, look into hauling RV trailers with a pick up truck. But a Class 8 truck isn't any sight seeing vehicle.

OOooppss...Sorry...my mistake,no insult intended...when I read Kate's inquiry I was putting Her in the same Category as myself ...being Retired I'm not depending on a regular Wage and I drive purely for the pleasure and Enjoyment it gives me it also keeps me Occupied hence my referring to Driving as a Hobby/Pastime...I'm also aware of the rigors involved in Driving Heavy Vehicles and I was not suggesting that She Jumps straight into Class 8...I'm pretty certain Kate knows Her limits and I took Her Question in the broad sense of switching from Driving one Type of Vehicle to another...It can be done with Limitations and I'm sure Kate is aware of that...
Sorry if you thought I was belittling you and your Colleague Drivers...that I would never do...

driving a school bus never helped with getting a job in a class 8. Two entirely different skill sets. Straight truck vs combinations. Airbrakes weren't always on a bus and the trannies were either an automatic or a fully syncho'd 5 speed. Some of the older busses even had a 2-speed differential.

driving a school bus never helped with getting a job in a class 8. Two entirely different skill sets. Straight truck vs combinations. Airbrakes weren't always on a bus and the trannies were either an automatic or a fully syncho'd 5 speed. Some of the older busses even had a 2-speed differential.
Nah.

I read an article about a company that hauls fireworks. The boss was quoted as saying he likes to hire former school bus drivers.

The reason was that although the vehicles are entirely different, it's the driving habits he was looking for.

To each there own. I wouldn't hire a former school bus driver for class 8. I get where he's coming from though. Parents will bitch in a heartbeat if little suzy comes home complaining about how the driver drove her to school and made her seasick.

driving a school bus never helped with getting a job in a class 8.

Your constantly remarking about a Class 8...nowhere in Kates Thread did She make reference to that all She wanted to know was if it was possible to Transfer from Coaching to Trucking...If the Query was reverse I'd say Yes but start off in the small Coach and gradually work your way up to the Larger...no doubt the same Logic would apply Driving Trucks...

Your constantly remarking about a Class 8...nowhere in Kates Thread did She make reference to that all She wanted to know was if it was possible to Transfer from Coaching to Trucking...If the Query was reverse I'd say Yes but start off in the small Coach and gradually work your way up to the Larger...no doubt the same Logic would apply Driving Trucks...
Class 8 is shorthand for tractor-trailer over 26,000 pounds....what y'all call "artics."

There is no upper age limit on driving truck. I personally work with two octogenarians who put 50-somethings to shame in driving ability, health and quick thinking.

Last edited:
There is no upper age limit on driving truck. I personally work with two octogenarians who put 50-somethings to shame in driving ability, health and quick thinking.
I bet they're always crabby though. ;)

Nah. Wallace doesn't have time to be cranky and Don ...well, the only time I've seen him in a negative mood was when that chick committed suicide on his truck a couple'a years ago.

We have earned that right to be Crabby and Grumpy:grandpa:...but in a lot of Instances I Bow to Superiority when it comes to some of the younger Drivers I've had the misfortune to meet up with:paddle:...Drivers who think of no-one but themselves...not interested in Comradeship or Chats...In my time we were like "One Big Family" not anymore...but I'm glad I was part of that Era...I don't know If I'd enjoy beginning again...then again I suppose in 30/40 yrs time some of todays Youngsters will be Typing the same as I'm doing now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread