I'm looking for some honest feedback.

To the original poster: I was 50something when I started driving. I team drove with my husband for a company. I and he were new to driving and went through the company's training. I loved it. LOVED it. I'd still be doing it but I love my husband more than driving.

Here's what I'm going to tell you though: it's not a hobby. It's not easy. It's sometimes dirty, messy, gross and embarrassing. You sweat, you break nails, you ruin clothes, you see men urinating at fuel pumps and sometimes other drivers are pigs. And sometimes they're the sweetest, kindest people you'll ever meet.

But nothing can replace the confidence I gained by becoming a good driver. My safety awards are precious to me. The respect given to me by my fleet manager remains priceless. The day I alleyparked that truck in a New Jersey one lane alley while dodging other vehicles was golden. The cop in Chicago that applauded me for my skill and I mean that man stopped and clapped his hands for me then took off his hat and bowed is something I will NEVER forget. Driving through NY, through L.A., through the mountains...girl there is NOTHING this old woman can't do! And I learned that finally at a truck driving academy.

I miss it every single day.

But it's not a time filler, it's a profession and one we must be good at. Because in front of you will be a non attentive driver, who is texting, drinking her coffe and putting on mascara while she drives her kids to school. And when she slams on her brakes or weaves into your lane the only thing that will save her kids' lives is your skill.

But if you want this profession I say go for it! Go to a company not a private school. The companies want to hire older drivers because of the quotas they need to meet. LOL And they want women. They'll be able to send you for training with another female if that is your requirement. Do it full time then go to a schedule where you share a truck with another driver. Several of the companies do this now. You'll be out 8 days then the other driver is out 8 days. Or seven or six depending upon the company.

That's my advice for what it's worth. Oh and one other thing....no matter how hard you work there's going to be some jerk at a truckstop somewhere who thinks women shouldn't be driving. He's going to say something to you about it. He can't help it.....he drank anti-freeze and killed his brain so just laugh it off and go on.

Last edited:
Just wondering why Kate is remaining very Quiet throughout this Discussion...I was hoping that being the Author She might have something to say on the Opinions/Advice so far...

We have earned that right to be Crabby and Grumpy:grandpa:...but in a lot of Instances I Bow to Superiority when it comes to some of the younger Drivers I've had the misfortune to meet up with:paddle:...Drivers who think of no-one but themselves...not interested in Comradeship or Chats...In my time we were like "One Big Family" not anymore...but I'm glad I was part of that Era...I don't know If I'd enjoy beginning again...then again I suppose in 30/40 yrs time some of todays Youngsters will be Typing the same as I'm doing now...

Yeah, all 2 of them. I don't really see that many of "today's Youngsters" sticking around the trade that long. Not really criticizing them.... they've been taught from their first day that "hard work" and "tough times" are BAD and when things aren't FUN anymore QUIT.

I know exactly what you mean by the "One Big Family" and yeah, I miss it too. The "old" truckstops were built/ran on that model rather than the "fuel and git" that is prevalent today. Nowadays they'd call that a "support network" and try to insert psychiatrists and other "educated people" to control and "help" us. :rolleyes:

The sad part is, the "newbies" don't even realize what's been done to them. I shudder to think what their kids will be like.

Yeah, all 2 of them. I don't really see that many of "today's Youngsters" sticking around the trade that long. Not really criticizing them.... they've been taught from their first day that "hard work" and "tough times" are BAD and when things aren't FUN anymore QUIT.

I know exactly what you mean by the "One Big Family" and yeah, I miss it too. The "old" truckstops were built/ran on that model rather than the "fuel and git" that is prevalent today. Nowadays they'd call that a "support network" and try to insert psychiatrists and other "educated people" to control and "help" us. :rolleyes:

The sad part is, the "newbies" don't even realize what's been done to them. I shudder to think what their kids will be like.

It's a totally new Era today...Alien to me as my Era was to todays Youngsters...to a degree I was naive and Innocent but I was being paid to deliver from A to B and that's what I did and if I could help someone on the way it was no big deal it was just the Natural thing to do...many a time I've pulled into a Layby {Rest Area} and shared my Coffee with another Driver...Chatted a while before going our separate ways maybe to never meet again but with a Cheery wave and a smile...Priceless...

If Blogs were popular I could spend Hours reminiscing with "Road Stories" but we all know that's not going to happen...maybe the next best thing could be a Thread telling Tales of Experiences be they "Good..Bad or Indifferent"...think I'll be taking my Memories with me when my times up...

Hey TexasNana thanks for the honest and useful feedback! Gives me a lot to think about, if trucking isn't for me I don't want to waste any time or energy and as we all know at a certain age time is not to be wasted. Thanks to all of you for taking your time to respond, now I have to make some decisions. To be honest I'm leaning towards keeping on driving my bus and riding my horse during all those sweet school vacations.

At the risk of stirring up a Hornets Nest I'm reiterating my opinion that I consider my Driving a "Hobby/Pastime" because of my situation...Several Members contradicted my use of the word...that's fine I've no problem with that but if your going to define what's a "Hobby" to some and what's not you also have to Question some of my other "Hobbies"...Carpentry...Gardening...Native American Studies...to name but a few...these "Hobbies" are full-time Employment to a lot of People...am I belittling their years of Study/work by striving to achieve the same...Truck Driving is no different,it's a learned Skill that requires years of Experience to reach the Ultimate Peak and when you've reached and gone beyond that and no longer depend on it for a living you retire...

Choosing to return to P/T Driving I did so because I enjoy the Life and the Driving as I do with my other "Hobbies"...in saying that I was not looking to belittle a Career that is "Bread and Butter" to the Majority of Members here and I'd hoped those Members would have realised that but unfortunately Human Nature tends to Interpret otherwise {perhaps I'd be no different}...I've spoken to several Retired Drivers who are back at the Helm because they enjoyed their work and missed the Comradeship,it's something that gives them Pleasure and enjoyment and I can think of no other word except...:confused3:

At the risk of stirring up a Hornets Nest I'm reiterating my opinion that I consider my Driving a "Hobby/Pastime" because of my situation...Several Members contradicted my use of the word...that's fine I've no problem with that but if your going to define what's a "Hobby" to some and what's not you also have to Question some of my other "Hobbies"...Carpentry...Gardening...Native American Studies...to name but a few...these "Hobbies" are full-time Employment to a lot of People...am I belittling their years of Study/work by striving to achieve the same...Truck Driving is no different,it's a learned Skill that requires years of Experience to reach the Ultimate Peak and when you've reached and gone beyond that and no longer depend on it for a living you retire...

Choosing to return to P/T Driving I did so because I enjoy the Life and the Driving as I do with my other "Hobbies"...in saying that I was not looking to belittle a Career that is "Bread and Butter" to the Majority of Members here and I'd hoped those Members would have realised that but unfortunately Human Nature tends to Interpret otherwise {perhaps I'd be no different}...I've spoken to several Retired Drivers who are back at the Helm because they enjoyed their work and missed the Comradeship,it's something that gives them Pleasure and enjoyment and I can think of no other word except...:confused3:

I think I can "explain" the problem somewhat. Down here in the USA I've run across many " middle age" folks doing trucking that got "downsized" or passed over by technology from various "professional" jobs. They took up trucking because nobody else wanted them anymore. Their common mantra is "I'm just doing this until I can find a REAL job" and they look down their noses at those of us who do this for a living. Several of us here have been "banned" from another site that likes to coddle these types....plus the whiney assed "newbies and wannabe's who cry about "It should be made easier for them (my personal bugaboo).

See, when you say "hobby" it translates over here as "something I do for amusement"..... or "I don't take this seriously". Don't worry about it, you're cool. :thumbsup:

I think I can "explain" the problem somewhat. Down here in the USA I've run across many " middle age" folks doing trucking that got "downsized" or passed over by technology from various "professional" jobs. They took up trucking because nobody else wanted them anymore. Their common mantra is "I'm just doing this until I can find a REAL job" and they look down their noses at those of us who do this for a living. Several of us here have been "banned" from another site that likes to coddle these types....plus the whiney assed "newbies and wannabe's who cry about "It should be made easier for them (my personal bugaboo).

See, when you say "hobby" it translates over here as "something I do for amusement"..... or "I don't take this seriously". Don't worry about it, you're cool. :thumbsup:

Very well put...looks like another case of misunderstandings and different Cultures...I take my "Hobbies" very seriously otherwise I would not be wasting my time on any of them...I apologize if anyone thought "I was just doing this til' I got a better Job" nothing could be further from the Truth...I am proud to say I was a Truck/Coach Driver and many People including Youngsters have often expressed their wish to see as many places as I have from the Cab of a Truck...

Anyway now that I have seen the error of my ways I'll choose my wording more carefully in future...but please allow for the odd "Trip" as I Tip-Toe through this Quadmire of different Cultures...Thank you...:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Very well put...looks like another case of misunderstandings and different Cultures...I take my "Hobbies" very seriously otherwise I would not be wasting my time on any of them...I apologize if anyone thought "I was just doing this til' I got a better Job" nothing could be further from the Truth...I am proud to say I was a Truck/Coach Driver and many People including Youngsters have often expressed their wish to see as many places as I have from the Cab of a Truck...

Anyway now that I have seen the error of my ways I'll choose my wording more carefully in future...but please allow for the odd "Trip" as I Tip-Toe through this Quadmire of different Cultures...Thank you...:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Not a problem sir. Heck, they've learned to put up with me and Rigjockey.... both Canadians. ;)

I think I can "explain" the problem somewhat. Down here in the USA I've run across many " middle age" folks doing trucking that got "downsized" or passed over by technology from various "professional" jobs. They took up trucking because nobody else wanted them anymore. Their common mantra is "I'm just doing this until I can find a REAL job" and they look down their noses at those of us who do this for a living.

There are also plenty of people who left a pressure cooker career to seek out a less structured way to earn a living.
I've met people in this industry who knew a lot more about a lot of things in 5 years than I did in 20...
AND I've met people who spent 30+ years trucking who still didn't know shit from apple butter.
I still run into both types pretty regularly.

If you're thinking I had a problem with the use of the word "hobby"..........no. I just don't want the woman to think it's easy and always fun. Personally my husband and I left other professions when we went to truck driving. I myself left a vocation in ministry and I refer to leaving it for truck driving as "running away to join the circus". lol

I'm the one who was called a hobby trucker by someone on here. It made me so angry I don't even remember who said it now. :D

Whoever said it was kidding around, because that's what we do on here 99% of the time.

But the term actually sorta fits (close enough anyway).

Not so much by choice, just some obligations at home that prevent me from driving full time.

I talked with this guy becoming a truck driver from New York, he told me that his grandfather still driving for his 80 years old from Georgia today. Be Safe!

Last edited:
I'm interested in transitioning from bus driving to trucking. I'm 61 and in great physical shape, at this point I don't want or financially need to to drive full-time. My questions are: Is it possible to find a job driving part-time and do you think I'm too old to get hired? Would love any honest feedback.
Thanks,
Kate
61 is not a good time to start in trucking period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread