Hunting/Fishing photos and stories

I tried bear baiting for the first time this year. It's difficult to get them to come to bait in my area. We're in ag country and they have so many available food sources. I had no success but it was fun. I'll try again next year. Built this board walk and bridge to my bait site. Dumped chocolate frosting, Skittles, trail mix, and assorted breads and sweets. Here's a few bears I had on camera. 20190818_153718.jpgIMG_20190706_121528.jpgIMG_20190527_065229.jpg

I tried bear baiting for the first time this year. It's difficult to get them to come to bait in my area. We're in ag country and they have so many available food sources. I had no success but it was fun. I'll try again next year. Built this board walk and bridge to my bait site. Dumped chocolate frosting, Skittles, trail mix, and assorted breads and sweets. Here's a few bears I had on camera. View attachment 59129View attachment 59130View attachment 59131
Where do you live?

The only bears here in Illinois are the ones with badges.

We've got deer, coyotes and bobcats though. Coyotes have attacked pets and one even stalked a small child in Chicago city limits not long ago. Bobcats have recently been seen as far north as I-80 near Joliet.

Where do you live?

The only bears here in Illinois are the ones with badges.

We've got deer, coyotes and bobcats though. Bobcats have recently been seen as far north as I-80 near Joliet.
MN an hour north of Minneapolis.

They have been slowly expanding their range south.

I get them fairly regularly on my cameras. Go less then an hour north of me and they are all over.

Yes that is a Northern Pike
The only spearing I've done was when I was really young, Northern Pike and Red Horse Suckers (think that's what they're called?) We usually just called them "Suckers"... Our spearing for Northern Pike, was very early in the spring, when enough ice had left the creek so you could see through in spots. After the ice was gone, the Suckers were running. Spearing a Northern was really rare for us. Suckers would (and I would assume the Northern's as well) run up the river, right at the bank, and because the river washed out the bank, they were usually slightly under the bank. We were usually reaching out, away from us, and spearing under our feet, under the bank.

The point to that whole lead up... When you are trolling or casting for Northern, you want your lure, to be right above them, because their eyes are above, and see up, much better than down. When you are spearing them through the ice, you are directly above them. Are you fast enough with the spear, that before they see movement it's too late? Are you trying to spear from slightly behind, so they don't see it coming? Or is all of this just plain nonsense, and it doesn't matter at all... see a fish, and hammer down with the spear?

The only spearing I've done was when I was really young, Northern Pike and Red Horse Suckers (think that's what they're called?) We usually just called them "Suckers"... Our spearing for Northern Pike, was very early in the spring, when enough ice had left the creek so you could see through in spots. After the ice was gone, the Suckers were running. Spearing a Northern was really rare for us. Suckers would (and I would assume the Northern's as well) run up the river, right at the bank, and because the river washed out the bank, they were usually slightly under the bank. We were usually reaching out, away from us, and spearing under our feet, under the bank.

The point to that whole lead up... When you are trolling or casting for Northern, you want your lure, to be right above them, because their eyes are above, and see up, much better than down. When you are spearing them through the ice, you are directly above them. Are you fast enough with the spear, that before they see movement it's too late? Are you trying to spear from slightly behind, so they don't see it coming? Or is all of this just plain nonsense, and it doesn't matter at all... see a fish, and hammer down with the spear?
You have to move slow then get the head of your spear in the water before you release it. When you release your spear I tell people act like it's a pool cue.

The darker the house the better if there's very much light you can get shadows and the pike will pick up on that and spook them.

Crystal clear water is fun to spear but the pike spook much easier. I prefer to spear slightly stained waters as they do not seem to pick up on movement as much.

Doubtful.

I'm having some work done on my camper and the 1850 or 2050 is likely where I want to be some day.

Not sure why.

The 1850 just adds a foot to the cockpit area. But double the engine size
That's comparing the 1750 to the 1850, correct?

What is the difference between the 1650 and the 17 or 1850? I don't remember the engine size... but I rent a 1650 for a weekend when I go up to Lake Vermillion in the spring with my brothers and pop.

How are these boats classified?

1850 means it's 18 ft length, 50 has something to do with the width? 50 inches? :dunno:

I already tried looking this up. But that's what I think I've figured from the mud skipper Facebook page.

These are like 98" beam.

The 17 or 18 is the length. My 1750 is actually 17' 11". The discovery and Kodiak lines are 1700 or 1800. So no idea on the 50.

Pro tiller models are the same hull as the fishhawk. Heavier aluminum than the Kodiak or discovery.

The 1850 protiller can only take a 90 HP motor vs the console which can take up to a 225 up. The 2050 models will take any motor you want to put on it, if you care to put a Merc 450R.

2019 they increased the transom and rear deck flotation to go from a 125 rating up to the 150 rating. Goes from a 43 mph boat to mid 50's.

My brother took these pictures yesterday. He went out with a friend, to help his friend make his dives longer, using less air. The water was 54 degrees, at 80 feet deep. Water visibility was about 30 feet.
Lake Pleasant, AZ

Diving1.JPGDiving2.JPGDiving3.JPGDiving4.JPG

Fishing stories, not like the exaggerated biggest fish.
When I was young a buddy and me went fishing. Great success! I caught 2 Bass. I brought them home. My Mom is a girl from the hills that grew up fishing and knows how to clean a fish.
I brought home these 2 bass in a cooler and was so proud. I open the cooler for Mom to see my catch and clean and cook them.
Mom says, WTF am I supposed to do with these tiny bass? :rolllaugh:
I love to go out fishing but I really suck at it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread