How much success would you say you have in collecting detention?

Viceroy

As a Dispatch Manager, I have been successful in getting detention for my drivers I would say about 60% of the time, that's half of the battle though in terms of getting it approved by the broker and getting a revised rate confirmation from them for it. The other half of the battle is invoicing them for it and actually getting paid on the difference.

I would love to hear other driver's experiences with this. I find out of all the brokers I deal with, that JB Hunt loads are one of the hardest to collect detention from and same with TQL.

I work only with brokers, I do not have any dedicated accounts, I am an owner op with my own authority. I have yet to receive detention from any load that was supposed to pay it, Mercer, CHRobinson, TQL there a big joke. I have developed a new method of detention. After 2 hours I find a NEW LOAD. I gave promises of detention pay the one finger salute. Sorry this is probably not what you want to hear but this is a day in the life of 95% of the truckers out there.

Thats if their freight is not on my trailer, once it is on my trailer thats a different story. I have heard a story once about an owner op would charge for detention and if he wasn't paid he would put a lien on the company. Im not to sure how that works.

I have no issues getting detention compensation. Have gotten up to 11 hrs detention before. Several times 5-6 hrs. It all depends on who your customers are. I usually haul for customers that things are agreed to up front. So, suffice to say, grocery warehouses and big box store stuff usually doesn't ride in my trailer.

I suppose one could file a small claims action against the shipper/receiver. Most small claims court maximums are less than $5000 and the parties involved are not allowed to have legal representation present. Just the two parties and a judge. Similar to the stuff you see on TV like Judge Judy. Now this might be a viable way to go if one wants to take the time, as it would be easier to express the situation and get a favorable ruling. If the customer didn't show up, the ruling is in the plaintiff's favor. You got your legal judgement against the customer.

I had a dispatcher who was a ruthless bitch. She. Collected it almost every time. Matter of fact, when we hauled a military load on a GBL ( They have a new name these days) she would have us fax her a copy of the GBL. There is a section labeled "estimate" which is what the government is paying to have that piece moved. If she decided the broker was taking too much, she would call them back and raise hell, usually getting us more money than had been agreed to originally. She was a bitch, but she got things done.

Beeotch, that is.
I had one D.M. That was tough as nails, God Bless her. I always got paid what I was due. Another terminal had me lined up on a load that I was to be forced to run, She was like hell's no! Your going home! Just leave the load there and I will deal with them.

If you messed with Sam, ( that was her name) You where gonna have a bad day!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread