How much would it take

Ottomatic

For all O/O, how much would a fleet need to pay to make it worth your while crossing over to the dark side? Or what other kind of perks/benefits?

OK, I don't think I got my point across. I am trying to get into the industry, and I want to learn how do people see fleets VS being an O/O. So far, I understand that being an O/O can pay more but it comes along with many extra hassles (finding your own loads, making large monthly payments, repairs, maintenance etc…) and fleets pay less but have less of these hassles. I wanted to understand what makes everyone decide one over the other.

OK, I don't think I got my point across. I am trying to get into the industry, and I want to learn how do people see fleets VS being an O/O. So far, I understand that being an O/O can pay more but it comes along with many extra hassles (finding your own loads, making large monthly payments, repairs, maintenance etc…) and fleets pay less but have less of these hassles. I wanted to understand what makes everyone decide one over the other.
i don't want the headaches, i don't want the responsibilities, i want to park the truck and go home and not return to lube/grease it or change the oil, i don;t wanna be bothered with the paperwork,

i wanna enjoy my free time.

You can also be an O/O and work as a broker. Pull their wagons and freight. You don’t have to be a one truck independent, it’s one alternative

Based on what I'm going through right now with my shoulder, I like having the workman's comp. Plus all the stuff @GAnthony mentioned.

Being an O/O isn’t being a trucker. It’s being a business owner. You have all the overhead, all the paperwork, when you have a freight claim you pay the bill. Ect ect. Company guy. You drive, you pump fuel, you check the load. They manage the business side of it. Some guys want to run a business and some guys don’t. It can be rewarding to be the business owner, but great reward requires great risk.

Being an O/O isn’t being a trucker. It’s being a business owner. You have all the overhead, all the paperwork, when you have a freight claim you pay the bill. Ect ect. Company guy. You drive, you pump fuel, you check the load. They manage the business side of it. Some guys want to run a business and some guys don’t. It can be rewarding to be the business owner, but great reward requires great risk.
Agreed. I know both sides of the coin. If something’s broken as a company ride, you make the call and hop in the bunk. It may take some of your time, but a good company will pay you for sitting

O/O, it’s all you. If it’s broken, either now you gotta fix it, limp it home to fix it, pay to have it fixed, or delete the offending part :biggrin-2:

It’s a lot more responsibility, but it gives you more freedom, too. It’s my ride, I get to choose how to set it up. None of the company ride BS of crap trucks, SLOW trucks, nowhere to jam gear, no headache rack, crappy air horn, crappy tires, crappy work lights, no long hood, no chicken lights, it’s a long list but company rides are usually pretty plain Jane

Oh, and automatics. I would never buy one, but some company guys get forced to drive the junk. I think you said you got better fuel mileage with a stick?

Agreed. I know both sides of the coin. If something’s broken as a company ride, you make the call and hop in the bunk. It may take some of your time, but a good company will pay you for sitting

O/O, it’s all you. If it’s broken, either now you gotta fix it, limp it home to fix it, pay to have it fixed, or delete the offending part :biggrin-2:

It’s a lot more responsibility, but it gives you more freedom, too. It’s my ride, I get to choose how to set it up. None of the company ride BS of crap trucks, SLOW trucks, nowhere to jam gear, no headache rack, crappy air horn, crappy tires, crappy work lights, no long hood, no chicken lights, it’s a long list but company rides are usually pretty plain Jane

Oh, and automatics. I would never buy one, but some company guys get forced to drive the junk. I think you said you got better fuel mileage with a stick?
@DYLAN_131 to the rescue!

For all O/O, how much would a fleet need to pay to make it worth your while crossing over to the dark side? Or what other kind of perks/benefits?

I'm not a O/O but I'll take a guess that it has to do with all the BS/rules companies have or have to deal with them, while pay would be second rate.
No matter what great pay it is, if you have to deal with unreasonable amount of BS, then the pay is not worth it.
Less BS an decent pay = more headache free pay, that very well be guarantied pay for runs = happy driver = driver stays longer = less your company pays out to rehire = more profits for all !
But companies are too FN stupid to realize this ! An this is OTR an local.

Pay your people that make you money (Drivers) a decent wage or go F yourself !

People like to say drivers are a dime a dozen, well brain dead dispatchers are a dime a dozen too !
drivers can dispatch (far better) than a dispatcher can drive (IF they can get a CDL?)
The best dispatcher is someone that was a driver !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom