How many miles do you average each week?

severina

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a similar thread. How many miles do you average? It would help to also know if you team or drive solo, and if you're l/o, o/o, or company. And who your carrier is, if you're able to say.

I feel like I'm becoming a nuisance by asking so many questions, sorry guys :hide:

My job isn't like most. I work for a private carrier and rarely have to wait for a load. Every load out is followed by a load right back to our yard or back empty. Our delivery area is MN to TX to FL to NS. In 26 months, I drove 360,000 miles, home every weekend, and sometimes once or twice thru the week.

The objective is to drive as few miles as is possible, while maintaining a decent revenue.
I guess I take that to the next level. I like to work a lot and make a lot of money.

My job isn't like most. I work for a private carrier and rarely have to wait for a load. Every load out is followed by a load right back to our yard or back empty. Our delivery area is MN to TX to FL to NS. In 26 months, I drove 360,000 miles, home every weekend, and sometimes once or twice thru the week.

I guess I take that to the next level. I like to work a lot and make a lot of money.

I like to work a little, but take high paying loads. My goal is the 10 mile load paying $10.000.00 or more.

For a truckload common carrier of the type your fella is going to I would say 1800-3000 to be a pretty fair estimate. This figure can vary from one company to the next and from week to week. It can vary seasonally as well.

And as if I'm not being vague enough, there are other factors that come into play, such as the last Presidential election that sent many companies into a tailspin, from which some never recovered.

All of us don't work such unpredictable schedules. Some drivers do the same thing for months or even years at a time with little or no deviation. I'm speaking of LTL carrier jobs such as Estes, FedEx, Conway etc. Also should include guys with dedicated routes with TL carriers or contract carriers. And then there are the coveted private carrier positions.

Those jobs are out there, but usually require some dues paying, although occasionally somebody has some good fortune fall into his lap early on.

I hope I didn't create more questions than I answered, but it's not an exact science.

Try to average 10,000 per month (120,000 per year). This number for me factors in hometime and work. If you are getting close to 3000 on an average week, by the time you include your hometime, you should be close to this average.

I drive for Dot Foods as a company driver. I don't do the deliveries any more (most of our drivers unload and break down the product at the customer dock) so I just run straight miles. I generally average around 3100 miles a week. My highest week I got 3800 and my lowest this year has been 2800. Our dispatchers keep in touch to find out about how many miles a week we want and once my expenses (child support) are lowered I'll be lowering my mileage per week to around 2500. I still get home every weekend and a night or two during the week as well.

I run anywhere from 2000 to 5000 in a week depending on what I'm hauling. Last week I did just shy of $9,000 from Sunday 'til Friday covering about 4200 miles.

I run as few as possible! I feel sorry for those who have to run a bunch of miles to make money! There are much easier ways to do so...

I run anywhere from 2000 to 5000 in a week depending on what I'm hauling. Last week I did just shy of $9,000 from Sunday 'til Friday covering about 4200 miles.

I keep saying "I'm doing OK, but there are drivers on here doing much better than me." Here is one, I know there are more. I'll get there one day. I keep plugging along and learning as I go.

I run as few as possible! I feel sorry for those who have to run a bunch of miles to make money! There are much easier ways to do so...

I'm with ya on this!!! I busted out 88000 miles last year and I thought that was far to many for my liking.:twister:

Your doing it wrong! It's supposed to be 9,000mi and $4,200. Ditch that W9 and get a plastic bubble truck and you can start hauling cheaper freight!! Lol

Dude I'm impressed when I don't see you sleeping somewhere. Pretty sad when I've seen you 3 times sleeping in your truck within 50mi of your house! Lol

I keep saying "I'm doing OK, but there are drivers on here doing much better than me." Here is one, I know there are more. I'll get there one day. I keep plugging along and learning as I go.

Yeah, but once you get that 10 mile $10,000 load thing nailed down you can kick back on a few hundred miles a year.

I agree with the work less, make more theory for most people. When my kids were little, I only worked 4 days a week and was home the other three. Now, I just like to work, so I work more, and make all I can.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread