How do you log your Pre-trip?

OK.... here's the issue; At least twice a week I will even up my clocks with 1) shipper/reciever delays, 2) fueling, scaling, etc... so when I pull into a stop for the night... I've got a minute left on both. Because my "Drive" time and "On Duty" time are equal... I have the right to DRIVE to the limit and so... my post trip is logged as "Off Duty" because I ran out of time.

How would the DOT handle this situation?

OK.... here's the issue; At least twice a week I will even up my clocks with 1) shipper/reciever delays, 2) fueling, scaling, etc... so when I pull into a stop for the night... I've got a minute left on both. Because my "Drive" time and "On Duty" time are equal... I have the right to DRIVE to the limit and so... my post trip is logged as "Off Duty" because I ran out of time.

How would the DOT handle this situation?
Not sure how DOT would handle it, or if they would handle it, but you could still log it on duty. Our system automatically throws us back on duty if we are off duty when entering a post trip.

My requirements is to show 15 minutes for a pre-trip, and we must flag a post trip while on duty. Supposedly, the system is set up to show a violation to safety if we don't show at least 15 minutes for our pre trip (elogs). I have tested that theory a couple times and never been told anything, but then again, they never tell me about any violation other than driving long distances while off duty :)

From the house, I will check tire pressure, fluid levels, check for signs of leaks, air test, check the lights, basically a thorough check. If a tire is low, it will get extra attention during the trip, and if it happens to be low again during the week, it will be fixed.

During the trip, I do a walkaround basically anytime I am out of the truck. During this time, I check lights, tires, and for any signs of fluid leaks. And yes, as long as the tires were good when I left the house, I just "bump" them during my walkarounds unless one appears to actually be deflated.

Your system is screwy. You can not drive after 14 hours. You can be on duty forever. Or until you die at least.

Your system is screwy. You can not drive after 14 hours. You can be on duty forever. Or until you die at least.
You don't have a 14 hour clock?

If I'm at a receiver/shipper for say...3 hours, both my OnDuty and Drive clocks will be the same. If I sit for 8 hours I get the unused times back.

Maxing out the times and whipping in the next rest area with seconds to spare happens all the time cuz that's how I roll.
So....once parked, switched to sleeper, I have no more time left to peak at the working and non working parts of the horse n cart.

So if we are required to log that "Post Trip"... What line are ya gonna use? The 5th?

(2) 14-hour period. A driver may drive only during a period of 14 consecutive hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty. The driver may not drive after the end of the 14-consecutive-hour period without first taking 10 consecutive hours off duty.

Notice it says may not drive. It does not restrict on duty hours. You can do your post.

(2) 14-hour period. A driver may drive only during a period of 14 consecutive hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty. The driver may not drive after the end of the 14-consecutive-hour period without first taking 10 consecutive hours off duty.

Notice it says may not drive. It does not restrict on duty hours. You can do your post.
Why thank you!

Still leaves the question lingering.

Why thank you!

Still leaves the question lingering.
Log the post trip ODND if you want. Or just don't log it at all. I've never logged, or even flagged, a post-trip. Ever.

But I show a pre-trip at least 7 min. but usually 15 min, every day before going on duty, or after switching do different equipment in the middle of a shift like if I did a drop & hook. Can't pull the "new" trailer til it's been pre-tripped.

On a side note, I've been told you don't need to pre-trip a bobtail but I do it anyway because I think whoever told me that was wrong.

I only show 15 minutes pre-trip in the mornings. I've never had anybody question it when checked at scales.

You can log it on duty like any other pre or post trip.

Let me try this another way. You are restricted from line 3 or Driving line. You can be on line 4 for a month and no one will care( well you might) but so long as you do not drive beyond the 14th there is no violation.

If you can get away with just flagging a pre-trip but showing 15 min for a post-trip, you can utilize all of your 14 hours because you can log that 15 minute post-trip AFTER you can no longer legally drive.

Logging 15 minutes for a pre-trip only leaves you with 13:45 remaining on your 14.

I don't do it that way though. I think an actual pre-trip is better.

I never post-trip a truck because if I DO find something, what's gonna happen is my company is going to say to get it fixed and then I'll sit in a shop for 5 hours & they're not going to reschedule my load because they'll tell me to log that time as "sleeper berth". My company &/or their shippers schedule their delivery appointments so we barely have enough time to legally get it there in the first place. I refuse to drive without adequate sleep.

If I don't discover something til morning, then they'll have no choice but to re-schedule the delivery appointment if the time wasted at the shop is enough to screw me up on delivery.

And even if you do post-trip a truck & everything's cool, there's still stuff that can happen while you're sleeping. Injun woke up with a flat steer tire. Certainly any idiot would notice that as soon as he moved the truck two feet, but let's say it was a drive tire instead. There's a good chance a guy would drive all day & not know it, if it's simply deflated & not blown to pieces & making the truck shake, if he didn't kick it before driving.

And there's always the chance somebody could've hit your truck & damaged it and you were sleeping too soundly to get woken up, and there's the chance your trailer could've been broken into, or if you have a flatbed, there's a chance somebody could've messed with your securement.

What about the actual inspection? What is your process?

When I was OTR I always did a good Pre-trip, I did my walk around and checked the fluids and tires, drained the air tanks, fired it up walked around again checking lights and looking for any leaks, do my tug test after hooking and drag the trailor brakes. the only problem I ever had on the road was a flat. Now, it might take me a couple hours to get off the yard because of issues I found needing to be fixed, (especially with the trailors) but when I left it was right. I never started my log for the day until My truck was ready to roll. So I wouldn't burn my clock up sittin waitin on the garage mechanic to change out a brake chamber or change a wheel seal.

At the end of the day I always did a walk around to check tires and lines, and before pulling out in the AM I checked tires and lights.

Sometimes it took 5 min. sometimes it took 20.

Local driving, I always checked the same things, but wasnt as critical of thing s that I was when I was going 800 mis up the road. I knew I wasnt going to be sitting for a day with a breakdown. Again my day started after I climbed behind the wheel and was ready to drive.

Pre and Post trips Logged as On duty not driving.

Last edited:
What about the actual inspection? What is your process?

20-30 min pre trip every day. 5 min post trip every day.

PTI is checkin lights, leaks, belts, tires, lines and connections to trailer, trailer seal and lock (if loaded)..look inside if empty, air psi, in cab, tug.

Post is walk around visual.(elog has 5 min interval min.)

I also do a visual every time I get out and return. Particularly 5th wheel latch.....I've heard stories.:crash:

Might seem like a waste of time to some, but I practice the "better safe than sorry" method..... and still get the job done.:thumbsup-80:

.25 pretrip.flag the post.After so long you know your equipment.It never takes 15 minutes.

I've been through six DOT Compliance Reviews ("audits") and have been told - every time - that the Special Agents look for some time on line four for the Post-Trip based on the fact that it requires a thorough inspection of the equipment AND it presently requires the report to be in writing. The argument that has been presented to me is that there's no way someone can do a thorough VI and then take the time to put it in writing without taking the best part of at least 15 minutes. The pre-trip, on the other hand, can be flagged (subject to your company's policies...) and the trick to making a "flag" legal is to include "X" minutes near the location notation. So if I'm doing my pre-trip in St. Louis, I can go straight from sleeper (or off duty) onto the drive line and my flag for that change of duty status location would be "St Louis, MO - 6 minutes." Perfectly legal, and roadside inspectors can't say anything - unless they don't know what they're looking at (and that never happens, right??? :) )

I lock my trailer when empty. No stowaways that could be crazy. No chance of someone using me as a mule to transport hidden drugs.
I don't have to worry about international borders. I never lock empty trailers just because I'm too lazy a padlock says "there's expensive stuff inside" when I'm going through the ghetto in Chicago.

I lock it. I lock the door open in way so that when I am sweeping out the trailer, The door can not be closed on me. If someone wants to take the time to break the lock on my empty trailer while I sleep, To steal my sailboat fuel, Have at her.

Locks only slow down an honest man. I agree.

Now I get to thinking of my days at the airport, People would say I lock my luggage, A hualk (goofy). Ok if that make you feel better. Carry anything of value in your carry on people!

As far as I am aware there are only 7 states that require you to show a 15 minute pre trip. All require a minimum of 15 minute post trip.
I don't see individual states listed in the FMCSA safety pocketbook, nor any exceptions for states to unilaterally supersede the federal requirements.

I don't see individual states listed in the FMCSA safety pocketbook, nor any exceptions for states to unilaterally supersede the federal requirements.
Good point, maybe it was more of a company policy then based on audits. All I know is I would flag a PTI unless I was in one the 7.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread