How do you describe surge to anybody that asks?

Her'll probably take it everywhere with him for show n tell.
:D

Now he has an excuse for carrying the bottle around.
Her'll??!!!!

as for " no tanker permit where I come from " well as soon as you pull a tanker then you better hope you have that endorsement if stopped or checked at scales.
He's Canadian. He's got diplomatic immunity. ;)

Besides, the USA has a long extensive history of allowing foreigners to come over here & violate our laws. o_O

Her'll??!!!!

Sorry...
I should have said him'll...
wait...
I'm not sure.

images

I have hauled cars, Totes and even tanker and I don't have a tanker Permit or what ever the **** ya'll call it.
We just get it done!
It is old school, either you can truck or you can't

kind of like when I was young and too young to even have a regular drivers license by 2-3 years, yet I'm still driving down the roads and highways with a rig with grain ( forget the name of it but it was double stick shift, been along time! so forget the name of it )
get it done !

get it done....still doesn't make it legal. though since farm made it kind of legal, depending how you want to look at it.

Simplest way to explain/demonstrate the dangers of "slosh" is to take a clear plastic bottle, fill it about 2/3 full and cap it. then lay it on it's side in your open palm and move your hand around. That's how liquid behaves in a tanker.

Note especially how it behaves in side-to-side. That's the most dangerous movement, it can flip you in a heartbeat. So you have to adjust your driving accordingly.

that's funny you say that, because I was talking to someone years ago from OTR & trying to explain it, more or less said (drank some of the water out of the bottle)...place this on the dashboard so you can see it (if I had the means to have it stay there) and watch it...this is what the liquid is doing in the tanks while you're driving !

from my experience the front to front surge (like 5th wheel) vs side to side surge (like certain doubles/triples)
theres pro's/con's to both just depending on what you're considering.
I'm so used too the side to side action down the road through the hills and curves its become normal for me- just look back that everything is still good nothing out of the normal & still on all 4's (8's).....keep going.
for the most part the pup/trailer will follow you as long as you keep everything within check of driving, if not then you went too far for driving it (pushing the limits) or too close to the edge (depending on conditions)

when it comes to doubles/triples ruts sure will give you a interesting drive if you're not used to it.
sometimes you're over here, sometimes over there.(I'm not talking about moving from right to left lane fully kind of movement, but you will move !)...heavily traveled dirt roads with many ruts - you could be all over the road (within reason, you're gonna move! ). now imagine highways with that are heavily traveled with ruts or uneven pavement.

make sure you have a straight trailer/pup tongue, it'll make you're life easier.
once had one that was a full tire width over, for those that don't know that's a lot....those that know would understand......taking that down the dirt roads was like putting a jumping jack behind the truck, highway speeds could be interesting at times (not like dirt roads but could start snaking at times depending on the road with ruts, got that fixed & I pushed to get it fixed!)

To be honest, I really have not noticed a lot of slosh.
5 pockets and even half empty between stations I don't notice it.

Either I'm reeeeeaaaallly good or

I'm just not very observant.

I'm going with the first one.......

5 pockets = baffled.
again it all depends on what you're hauling & if close to full or half or less.
like I said earlier, baffled tanks is not much of a issue vs smooth bore, not saying baffled is easier than van, just saying baffled tanks cut down a lot of the surge.

this is a no brainer to most, but must mention this
almost fully loaded tanks vs half filled tanks
of course half filled tanks will create more surge, no matter baffled or smooth. fully loaded creates almost no surge.
heavier liquids will even make this surge worse, since there's more room to move (since less hauled) & it'll be like hauling a normal full load but at the same time its almost surging like a smoothbore...even though its baffled.

He's Canadian. He's got diplomatic immunity. ;)

Besides, the USA has a long extensive history of allowing foreigners to come over here & violate our laws. o_O

that's a whole different subject that could open a can of worms, & I don't want to be the one that starts it.
but I agree on so many levels !

BTW it's not " he's got.."......it's "he has..."

Last edited:
:biglaugh:

no, that's not correct either.
I'm not saying I'm the perfect grammar person, but some things are just obvious.
Well then I suppose I gots to start using better grammar and maybe stop making super long run-on sentences with no punctuation because that bugs some people too it makes they're eye twitch.

Well then I suppose I gots to start using better grammar and maybe stop making super long run-on sentences with no punctuation because that bugs some people too it makes they're eye twitch.

ok.
but don't go overboard, if your eyes start twitching...then you might be tested...;)

People say that the English language is very hard to learn.

Surge is as described.

Surgeon then is.......???????

And you can wear serge ????

;):D

People say that the English language is very hard to learn.

I've heard this many times.
not that the language is hard to learn (straight forward basic English), but talking & understanding it is a little different with others.
certain words can be the same spelling & mean different things or sound the same but are different spelling & mean different things.
now throw in slang, which varies from locations (states)

I can see why some people could be frustrated at times, if English is not their primary language :confused:

not that the language is hard to learn (straight forward basic English), but talking & understanding it is a little different with others.
certain words can be the same spelling & mean different things or sound the same but are different spelling & mean different things.

I can see why some people could be frustrated at times, if English is not their primary language :confused:
Give them a brake. Even most ain't got no understanding of English even tho they have bin thru english classes and spoke English there hole lifes. LOL

English is my wife's 2nd language. Truly a battle, given that everything is so different. I try, thought not hard enough, to learn Spanish, and that is a tough battle. So many words sound exactly the same to me, but she can easily identify the different words. I mean, they sound exactly the same when I hear them, and the words have very different meanings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread