How do you describe surge to anybody that asks?

Crabmushrooms5

I tell people it's like 2 people playing bumper cars hitting each other at full speed, forward and backward.

That is the only comparison I can think of.

tanker surge depends on if smooth or baffled , of course smooth will definitely be worse.
baffled is not as bad, though if doubles / triples you'll most likely get a lot of side sway driving down the road vs 5th wheel

Agreed smooth bore gives you the bumper car feeling. Every time I pull a 4 compartment I feel like it's gently trying to rock me to sleep

lets put it if you're doing smooth, then yes it'll rock your boat on the road.
if baffled then its not as bad,
if you're a pansy when it comes to liquids, then best to look elsewhere for a job.
you must accept the movement in all weather conditions !
though at the same time I'd like to add that hauling liquids is not that special.... if you can handle it.....(have a spine and balls)
if not then best stay to van or something else.

lets put it if you're doing smooth, then yes it'll rock your boat on the road.
if baffled then its not as bad,
if you're a pansy when it comes to liquids, then best to look elsewhere for a job.
you must accept the movement in all weather conditions !
though at the same time I'd like to add that hauling liquids is not that special.... if you can handle it.....(have a spine and balls)
if not then best stay to van or something else.
Yes because vans never haul liquids. Everything goes in vans if it fits, Ya'll need to stop looking down you nose at van haulers.
I have hauled cars, Totes and even tanker and I don't have a tanker Permit or what ever the **** ya'll call it.
We just get it done!
There is no tanker permit where I come from. It is old school, either you can truck or you can't

Yes because vans never haul liquids. Everything goes in vans if it fits, Ya'll need to stop looking down you nose at van haulers.
I have hauled cars, Totes and even tanker and I don't have a tanker Permit or what ever the **** ya'll call it.
We just get it done!
There is no tanker permit where I come from. It is old school, either you can truck or you can't

I know vans can haul liquids though I also know vans can't be filled with liquids (for some reason they don't hold liquid ;) ) , they can be filled with containers that can contain liquids, but still doesn't reach the slosh factor in tankers.
as for the rest of what you're talking about, is just how its classified....you could be hauling hazmat & don't even need to be placard or be endorsed....DOT vs EPA....it's all in how its classified by one of them at the time you're hauling it....go figure

as for " no tanker permit where I come from " well as soon as you pull a tanker then you better hope you have that endorsement if stopped or checked at scales.

Last edited:
as for " no tanker permit where I come from " well as soon as you pull a tanker then you better hope you have that endorsement if stopped or checked at scales.
Ummm. I don't think so! I am exempt from needing a tanker endorsement, because as I stated, where I come from there is no tanker endorsement, Therefore there is no way or place to obtain such an endorsement.:)

Simplest way to explain/demonstrate the dangers of "slosh" is to take a clear plastic bottle, fill it about 2/3 full and cap it. then lay it on it's side in your open palm and move your hand around. That's how liquid behaves in a tanker.

Note especially how it behaves in side-to-side. That's the most dangerous movement, it can flip you in a heartbeat. So you have to adjust your driving accordingly.

Simplest way to explain/demonstrate the dangers of "slosh" is to take a clear plastic bottle, fill it about 2/3 full and cap it. then lay it on it's side in your open palm and move your hand around. That's how liquid behaves in a tanker.

Note especially how it behaves in side-to-side. That's the most dangerous movement, it can flip you in a heartbeat. So you have to adjust your driving accordingly.
And as we speak,I'll bet our newest tank Yanker @Keendriver is making one of these models.lol

To be honest, I really have not noticed a lot of slosh.
5 pockets and even half empty between stations I don't notice it.

Either I'm reeeeeaaaallly good or

I'm just not very observant.

I'm going with the first one.......

Yeah, but you're comparted and the liquid only has a couple feet to move in so it don't get much force. If your outfit hauls Bunker, go for a ride and see the difference.

Either way, tanker will make a smoother driver out of you. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread