How do you buy fuel?

I've had bosses where I used credit cards too. My heavy haul company gave us all American Express Gold cards for fuel, hotels, everything.

I shudder to think what carrying a credit card interest rate does month to month though.

They also gave us unlimited data air cards through Verizon for a while for emails to get permits and stuff.

Thats when I learned all about internet piracy and how wonderful it can be. The IT guy pulled us into the office one day because Verizon was a little wound up.

I came in third place one month. It was 1 - the boss himself at like 25GB. 2- the guy who showed me how to download TV shows and movies at 18GB. 3- me at 17GB.

Which doesn't sound like a lot really but on a cellular aircraft, belive me it is.

I know what the hell me and 2nd place were doing but what the hell was the boss getting into?? We never taught him about torrent sites at all, and the guy can barely send an email to this day.

We never did find out.
I use Amex for everything. No interest charges as it is paid off every month.

I should add that we are usually at about 20k per month, a lot of which is off road fuel for the equipment. We buy on road fuel at places that are typically $.30 a gallon less than the big truck stops. I doubt using Amex over the road would work out well.

Running local we have an account with an independent here. Pull up they pump your fuel do your windows and get you a receipt. Otherwise we have an Esso card for Canada, an Ambest/EFS card that works nearly everywhere, a flying J card (even thought the Ambest will work at them too) and a regular EFS card just because it comes with the checks they ordered.

We try not to use the J or EFS cards if possible. Also we're told to find the cheaper fuel if you can because we don't get fleet discounts at the big chains. That's a policy I can get on board with.

I buy most of my fuel at the places that are .30 cents cheaper than the big places. I use a visa that I load from the bank account so if it’s lost or stolen they aren’t getting much. I have a com data as well as NASTIC just in case of some sort of unforeseen issue such as lost card, lost phone and can load the visa etc. Anything business the visa is used for.

Fuel prices are spiking again. You may have noticed.

Recently I heard an ad from OOIDA that they were offering a fuel card for owner operators. My initial thought is that they put a lot of effort into getting that thing accepted everywhere instantly or its going to be very hit and miss until they do.

So, whether you're a company driver with "assigned fuel solutions" or have terminals to fuel at, or just a credit card your boss gave you that you can use anywhere, or if you're an owner operator, how do you buy fuel?
My employer issues a T-Check card and it works any place that accepts T-Check card but would actually prefer a driver fuels at Pilot or Sapp Brothers where they have discount deals negotiated.

Many years ago at a mega carrier dispatch told you when and where to fuel and how many gallons.

The pump also stopped precisely at the slotted limit for that stop.

What a pain in the rearend that was.

Never ever again will I work for a place like that.
Yeah USX did that. Not sure about Schneider.

Our departments were exempt from that nuisance. Any in network at any time for however many gallons we wanted.

I'll be damned if I'm waiting in line just to splash a few gallons.

Yeah USX did that. Not sure about Schneider.

Our departments were exempt from that nuisance. Any in network at any time for however many gallons we wanted.

I'll be damned if I'm waiting in line just to splash a few gallons.
Even worse numerous terminals had fuel and I asked why can't I just fuel here at the yard.

I was told that terminal fuel is not always the cheapest.

Seems to me a big carrier like that would be getting major discounts with bulk tankers.

Apparently that was not the case.

Even worse numerous terminals had fuel and I asked why can't I just fuel here at the yard.

I was told that terminal fuel is not always the cheapest.

Seems to me a big carrier like that would be getting major discounts with bulk tankers.

Apparently that was not the case.
We have been told the same thing. Do not fuel at the yard, use your card for the time being as currently the price is cheaper off site.
Do you mean to tell me that a nation wide company can provide fuel cheaper than the small tiny tanker that delivers and fills up the small tank in the yard? I am shocked!
Though it is convenient to fuel on site/ yard.

At the terminal they are told you MUST fuel your truck every night at the end of your shift with out fail!
But, but, it's down a quarter tank and truthfully it would take me longer to take a **** than it would to fill the tank with fuel.

A line up of 6 trucks takes forever to get fuel because these drivers start up bullshit session.
Hey, everyone stay in their truck until their turn at the pump and keep your mouth shut!

I am not sure why it is mandated that EVERY truck must be fueled every night. A Lack of creativity I would assume.
Why cant it be Odd numbers fuel at night and even numbers fuel in the morning or vice versa? Save you time and money.
I don't care but I am sure some driver would protest, why do the even numbers get to fuel in the morning?😭

At the terminal they are told you MUST fuel your truck every night at the end of your shift with out fail!
But, but, it's down a quarter tank and truthfully it would take me longer to take a **** than it would to fill the tank with fuel.

A line up of 6 trucks takes forever to get fuel because these drivers start up bullshit session.
Hey, everyone stay in their truck until their turn at the pump and keep your mouth shut!

I am not sure why it is mandated that EVERY truck must be fueled every night. A Lack of creativity I would assume.
Why cant it be Odd numbers fuel at night and even numbers fuel in the morning or vice versa? Save you time and money.
I don't care but I am sure some driver would protest, why do the even numbers get to fuel in the morning?😭
I'd rebel and see if they notice.

Like my dad who kept taking his truck home long after they said it was no longer allowed.

I'd rebel and see if they notice.

Like my dad who kept taking his truck home long after they said it was no longer allowed.
I used to always fuel my truck in the morning. **** 'em!
I am not wasting my time waiting on the drivers knitting circle and gossip to disperse. I am going home.

I am not working at the terminal any longer and at the plant we fuel the truck once a week as and when required.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread