How come freightliner doesn't offer the Argosy in the United States?

KINGDOM99

When I was a kid I thought these were the coolest looking trucks. What happened to them? I thought they were great on fuel economy. If I had the money, it would be the truck that'd I'd like to buy.

6920d1349264875-how-come-freightliner-doesnt-offer-argosy-united-states-2011-argosy.jpg

View attachment 6920

When I was a kid I thought these were the coolest looking trucks. What happened to them? I thought they were great on fuel economy. If I had the money, it would be the truck that'd I'd like to buy.View attachment 6920
:shocked::shocked: There are only two types of people who want a COE. Europeans and Americans who have never owned/worked on/ridden in/driven one. Let's just say the market for them here didn't die because demand was too high.

:shocked::shocked: There are only two types of people who want a COE. Europeans and Americans who have never owned/worked on/ridden in/driven one. Let's just say the market for them here didn't die because demand was too high.

You forgot mexicans driving them in the US.

When I was a kid I thought these were the coolest looking trucks. What happened to them? I thought they were great on fuel economy. If I had the money, it would be the truck that'd I'd like to buy.

they made the "big sucking sound" as far as i am concerned. good riddance they are not made here anymore or used here. i DO SEE a few OLD cabovers from time to time, but when i last saw one at the truck stop..??

i walked away fast, as i need not bring up memories i wish to totally forget

Try riding in one.......

exactly, flying briefcase, cooler, teeth, and assorted odds and ends were not my best of times.

I saw 3 of these just the other day. I was delivering a load in Commerce,CA. They looked to be in pretty good shape, although they did not look like a comfortable ride.
I believe they were from Gardner Trucking. All 3 drivers looked like "old schoolers", and they were Mexicans.
One thing that I noticed, was that the air lines came up from the rear of the tractor to the underbelly of the trailer. I was wondering what the reason for that was. :dunno:

I saw 3 of these just the other day. I was delivering a load in Commerce,CA. They looked to be in pretty good shape, although they did not look like a comfortable ride.
I believe they were from Gardner Trucking. All 3 drivers looked like "old schoolers", and they were Mexicans.
One thing that I noticed, was that the air lines came up from the rear of the tractor to the underbelly of the trailer. I was wondering what the reason for that was. :dunno:

Are you sure they were Argosy models, or some older COE?

The air and electric connections like you saw are a "custom" thing. Just like drop visors, extremely tall shifters, etc.

The air and electric connections like you saw are a "custom" thing. Just like drop visors, extremely tall shifters, etc.

I've always wondered why some guys like to drive their Peterbilts with the air seat all the way down & with a shifter knob that's higher than their shoulder.

Do they want to feel like they're 5 years old?

So they were uncomfortable to drive? Is that it?

Well try sitting on the fender above the left steer tire. Also consider you sit about a foot higher. Think about the dynamics involved. The farther you are from the roll center of the chassis, the more exaggerated every bump and bounce is.

And the engine is right next to your right leg and hip, and under your elbow. Even the best insulation package will do little to keep the heat and noise out of the cab. You will sweat off many pounds on hot summer days, and go deaf long before you should. The steering wheel is almost horizontal. The ergonomics of the seating are all wrong and climbing in and out of the rig requires monkey like skill.

In the early ones you can't stand up in the sleeper, only sit upright on the bunk. Space is very limited.

To do anything other than check the oil and coolant levels and add oil or coolant, the cab (sleeper included) has to be jacked up. Sure, they have a built in jacking system, but it is a pain in the ass, nothing like popping the hood on a conventional. And if the jack or the cylinders develop a leak, good luck getting the cab up.

The shift linkage is long and complex. When the joints get worn the shifter throw gets very long, and finding the correct gear can be a guessing game.

You could not give me a cabover tractor.

I did mine to get them out from under my feet while climbing up and down on the cat walk to the trailer.

View attachment 18272 View attachment 18273 View attachment 18274

Besides its bitcin' cool lookin' too!

Are those regular air hose couplers? How do you keep them from rusting up? I have some hoses I keep outside for inflating tires & blowing the grass clippings off the mowers. I oil the damn things all the time but they're still rusty every time I use them.
View attachment 18272View attachment 18273View attachment 18274

I think they did offer the Argosy on the N.American market in the '90's or something like that. An option was a step that would retract when the door was closed and if I recall correctly the step would open while the truck was in motion. I see a few Argosy's around, They are all in good shape. Back when Frieghtliner built the classic, They actually built trucks well.

Are those regular air hose couplers? How do you keep them from rusting up? I have some hoses I keep outside for inflating tires & blowing the grass clippings off the mowers. I oil the damn things all the time but they're still rusty every time I use them.

I really dont know what there made of. There not stainless steel or some kind of galvanized steel but they've never rusted other than the lockin' balls. I spray some MotorKote on them from time to time just keep them freed up.
I got them from NAPA.

They looked just like the one in the pic, and said Argosy on the side, so I'm thinking they were actuals. Kinda cool lookin, but did not look like a joy to drive.

I shoulda got pics.:bonk:

Brass.

Yeah they're mostly brass, like the ones I have at home. But the little balls inside always get rusted even though I put air tool oil on them all the time. Just about every time I go to connect or disconnect something, I have to use WD-40 or air tool oil to get it working properly.

My air compressor is one of those noisy direct-drive ones. I keep it in a little shed that's centrally located on the property & I run hoses across the driveway to the two workshops. Each workshop has it's own tank in there, which compensates for the pressure drop in the hose, as long as I don't use it continuously for too long.

There's a coupler halfway across the driveway & there's a homemade fitting with a ball valve at the corner of one of the barns, so I can disconnect the hose when I'm plowing snow, or if I need to use the hose to air up a tire or something, & don't want to drain the tank in the barn. All those fittings are always rusted internally.

That's why I find it odd to see that kind of coupler on a truck, right where all the salt spray would be hitting it in the winter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread