Harbor Freight jackstands recalled because they collapse

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Radioactive dog food, lead paint on children's toys, shrimp farm raised and fed chicken poop, garlic fertilized with municipal sewage, the Chinese Wuhan Kung Flu Virus, now this:

Damn Chinese are out to get us by any means

Half the problem is over the last 3/4 decades AMERICA "consumers" got Accustomed to "CHEAP" throwaway crap..

Yeah ya can buy a Chinese knock off Drill or Sawzall for $39.99 but it might last a project or two ..

Take even TV sets and Stereo Systems..

Back in the day a 25 inch Color TV set with Remote cost like $7/8 hundred bucks but that Old Tube TV "lasted" 10/15 years.... stained wood grain cabinet too was like a piece of furniture

Old piece by piece Stereo System as well..

Today a Flatscreen TV set maybe 40/50 inches for $4/5 hundred bucks but it seems a FLATSCREEN needs to be "replaced" every 5 years or so..

Even Appliances...a Washer n a refrigerator used to be built like a freaking "Tank" and lasted afew Decades

Last edited by a moderator:
Half the problem is over the last 3/4 decades AMERICA "consumers" got Accustomed to "CHEAP" throwaway crap..

Yeah ya can buy a Chinese knock off Drill or Sawzall for $39.99 but it might last a project or two ..

Take even TV sets and Stereo Systems..

Back in the day a 25 inch Color TV set with Remote cost like $7/8 hundred bucks but that Old Tube TV "lasted" 10/15 years.... stained wood grain cabinet too was like a piece of furniture

Old piece by piece Stereo System as well..

Today a Flatscreen TV set maybe 40/50 inches for $4/5 hundred bucks but it seems a FLATSCREEN needs to be "replaced" every 5 years or so..

Even Appliances...a Washer n a refrigerator used to be built like a freaking "Tank" and lasted afew Decades
It's called "planned obsolescence" for a reason. Every manufacturer builds their product with it in mind.

I don't think this falls into that category.
I wasn't specifically referring to the jack stands. That's just plan scary to make a sub par jack stand. Planned obsolescence is what now motivates product life cycle designs. They want it to fail in X amount of years to maintain profit margins. And I saw this daily in the Class 8 truck parts business. One manufacturer even admitted it. What pissed me off was his comment about "We all do it.".

Cheap Chinese crap. It's been a problem in aerospace for 30 years after they started flooding the world with substandard high strength bolts.

Some would argue that capitalism needs a low skilled labor caste to thrive. This China thing never should have happened at all.

India for example, has throngs of people that could be employed at insanely low wages and be made to work din horrendous conditions, AND they're an allied country!

Lesson from this thread is,

It’s ok to buy cheap stuff from Harbor Freight, just don’t buy anything that your life may depend on.

If something is supporting more than I can lift and I am going to be underneath it, I’m going to spend a few extra bucks for quality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread