Full Locking Diff Swap.

Old Iron

Got a standard set of Eaton 404's in it now. (Ds404 and Rs404).
I've found a set of full lockers (DD404 and RD404) to swap in. Same ratio. Same axle and pinon splines. I know I will need two axle shafts to make it work.
My question is this a direct swap?
Are they the same as far as driveshaft length as what I have now?

It's a good little chunk, but I've done them with an angle grinder and then cleaned it up with a scotchbrite pad or flap disc.

Referring to the diff flange in terms of how big of spot to cut, I'm guessing about 1/2" in width and probably about 4 inches in height. Just on one side of the banjo housing where the diff slides in, that fork and side gear need just a little clearance to be able to go in when sliding the diff into the housing.

Does that make sense?
10-4. Just to get it in the hole.
I would have thought the axle itself would be kind of universal.

Got a standard set of Eaton 404's in it now. (Ds404 and Rs404).
I've found a set of full lockers (DD404 and RD404) to swap in. Same ratio. Same axle and pinon splines. I know I will need two axle shafts to make it work.
My question is this a direct swap?
Are they the same as far as driveshaft length as what I have now?
When I see questions like this, I'm reminded of a sign at the counter of the popular but expensive Central Plumbing store and shop here in Anchorage: "Nothing Is Standard In Plumbing." That applies to hotrods and trucks. One or another grinder becomes your best buddy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread