Friend who can't sleep anymore

I stopped smoking, But that's just cause I'm a tightwad who doesn't mind spending 40c on a pack of cigs with zero tax, but would rather be sodomised with a cattle prod than buy $20 packs of which $18 is tax...

Smart people buy their cigs in Missouri where the tax is $.17 cents per pack.

Addicted people have to teach themselves how to function in a world that contains the items they are addicted to. I agree with the most common concept of addiction as disease. However, it's not my disease and it's not contagious.

Just as I will not alter my life because my friend has a gluten allergy or intolerance or whatever they call it, I will not alter my life for someone with an addiction. I will support their sobriety. But I will not change what I do or how I do it.

First off.... Addiction is not a "disease". That's just psychobabble "New Age" crap designed by people who want to sugar coat everything. You can't catch alcoholism, you can't carry alcoholism. There does appear to be a genetic aspect to it though.

At any rate..... the "lifestyle" alterations are solely on the "addict". They are crucially important, especially for the first year or two. Depending on the severity of the addiction, it will take this long for your body to "repair" the changes that the substance you're addicted to have caused..... the cravings if you will. For those who are severely addicted that means actual physical pain...... excruciating pain. Oddly enough, my psychiatric "problems" at the time helped me beat that.... but I was not a "safe" person to be around.

Now, I'm not a psychiatrist nor a "professional", nor did I ever "consult" with the same. But I lived this alone and I beat it alone..... and I live daily with the knowledge of how easy it would be to slide right back into the nightmare.

I stopped smoking, But that's just cause I'm a tightwad who doesn't mind spending 40c on a pack of cigs with zero tax, but would rather be sodomised with a cattle prod than buy $20 packs of which $18 is tax...
Smart people buy their cigs in Missouri where the tax is $.17 cents per pack.
It wouldn't be very smart for Kiwi to do that. The cost of the round trip flight from New Zealand would offset any savings.

It wouldn't be very smart for Kiwi to do that. The cost of the round trip flight from New Zealand would offset any savings.

Pack a day in China, as cheap as 2 yuan a pack, though I normally got the 5 Yuan ones. 40c and $1 NZD respectively.

Pass into HK on the way home, $50 HKD or around $9 NZD a pack,

Arrive in NZ, they're $18 NZD a pack, with a tax increase in the new year taking it to $20 a pack.

The govt here is trying to stamp out smoking by punitive tax rates on tobacco

The govt here is trying to stamp out smoking by punitive tax rates on tobacco
Democraps are trying to do that here too. In most states anyway.

They're doing it wrong.

There's a much easier way to do it that won't result in angry pizzed off citizens calling for their decapitated heads on a pike. I've had this idea for years. But it makes way too much sense for government officials to even begin to understand:

Pass a law that requires a license to buy cigarettes. Give everybody 18 or over a year to get the license. Charge some petty fee like $5 for the licenses. Photo ID just like a drivers license. It expires every 5 years but it's a no-questions-asked renewal even if it's expired, just so the picture gets updated.
Two years from the law's passage, the licenses become "renewals only". Nobody can apply for one but license holders can renew them.
50 years later, there will be no license holders under the age of 68 & they'll all be dying off. And the tobacco industry would've had plenty of time to gradually transition to marketing other products. Real estate currently being used for growing tobacco will gradually transition to growing other stuff & saturating other produce markets which will help feed the exponentially increasing population, etc.

That will make it so no smokers are robbed blind by the evil taxaholic criminals, while phasing out smoking over a generation or two.

Democraps are trying to do that here too. In most states anyway.

They're doing it wrong.

There's a much easier way to do it that won't result in angry pizzed off citizens calling for their decapitated heads on a pike. I've had this idea for years. But it makes way too much sense for government officials to even begin to understand:

Pass a law that requires a license to buy cigarettes. Give everybody 18 or over a year to get the license. Charge some petty fee like $5 for the licenses. Photo ID just like a drivers license. It expires every 5 years but it's a no-questions-asked renewal even if it's expired, just so the picture gets updated.
Two years from the law's passage, the licenses become "renewals only". Nobody can apply for one but license holders can renew them.
50 years later, there will be no license holders under the age of 68 & they'll all be dying off. And the tobacco industry would've had plenty of time to gradually transition to marketing other products. Real estate currently being used for growing tobacco will gradually transition to growing other stuff & saturating other produce markets which will help feed the exponentially increasing population, etc.

That will make it so no smokers are robbed blind by the evil taxaholic criminals, while phasing out smoking over a generation or two.
That would do it, but there's not enough money in it.

Except for all the bootlegging that would commence.

You'd wind up with tobacco becoming the new pot.

You can sleep your normal amount like 7 or 8 hours then force yourself to go back to sleep. If you sleep another 2 hours it's like you've only slept 2 hours and your wicked tired. You've just sent your brain into it's next sleep cycle without a full nights sleep.

@DrDaliah might like this. Many years ago I had a friend doing research on ????? Can't remember what it was called but after his tests calmed down I was allowed to take his device home for a week.

It was sensors that were glued (Not real glue) to my eyelids then connected to a computer. As soon as the device detected I was going into Rem sleep it would ring a soft bell. I was only able to do it once. Some people it happened every single time. As soon as you get use to the bell and realize your going into Rem sleep you can become conscious of this and be in control of your dream or dream in real life anything you want. It was amazing.
Yes I heard of something like that. We lose our REM with age and with alcohol use. Also suggest she do a sleep study. Sometimes oxygen helps sleep as well and maintains the sleep cycle if she ends up needing CPAP. :)

You'd wind up with tobacco becoming the new pot.

Already happened here a few times, It's legal to grow your own tobacco, but not to sell it. Some commune hippies sell tobacco pouches round the farmers markets and craft markets... It's $20 for a $5 leather pouch, but hey, it comes with filled with complementary tobacco free!

Yes I heard of something like that. We lose our REM with age and with alcohol use. Also suggest she do a sleep study. Sometimes oxygen helps sleep as well and maintains the sleep cycle if she ends up needing CPAP. :)

Mmmm, never thought of that. I wonder if those new devices they just came out with that show your sleep habits would show something. They have money so it's not an issue. I guess their a big hit, sold out in a few days.

Just an update. For the past week she's able to sleep rock solid. I guess it takes a while from quitting cold like that? Now it seems to be a weight problem. She was never fat. Never could figure that out how people can drink so much beer and become skinny? She told me yesterday that her husband bitched at her because her ribs are showing now. She says she's just not hungry. She's always been that way but now even worse. She pee's on a regular basis but only does the other maybe every 3 or 4 days????? Really!!! WTF?

Typically, alcoholics don't eat much. Their pancreas becomes inflamed from the alcohol and it is painful for them to eat. She was getting a lot of calories from the booze or beer or whatever that she is no longer getting. She needs to train herself to eat again.

If pancreatic pain is the problem, she really needs to go see her doctor. She might not realize that's the problem. She may simply say it hurts to eat. She's right. It does.

High carbohydrate foods, whuch is what she needs, are the worst offenders, followed by fats, which she also needs. This is a little outside of my knowledge, short of saying recovering alcoholics have specific dietary requirements. It's a long journey to wellness from where she was to where she's going.

I know when I go on a diet it's not long before I'm not hungry anymore. I tend to overdo it. I don't think it takes long for your stomach to shrink.

I know when I go on a diet it's not long before I'm not hungry anymore. I tend to overdo it. I don't think it takes long for your stomach to shrink.
That's true. But having been a dieter, you also know it doesn't take long for the stomach to stretch back out.

People don't understand how incredibly toxic alcohol is in excessive amounts and chronic use.

Never could figure that out how people can drink so much beer and become skinny?
My best friend Eric was always skinny. I don't think he ever got over 175 lbs & he was the same height as me. And he drank like a fish. It was so bad he'd wake up in the middle of the night to take a leak & end up cracking open a beer & drinking it before going back to sleep.

He killed his pancreas. Eventually he quit drinking but it was too late.

He was put on a transplant list. I don't know why. Usually they don't put alcoholics on transplant lists. Maybe it was because he was so young. But his pancreas was totally dead & they removed it just to get it out of there & he was 100% diabetic. They sent him home the next day. Two days later he passed out & fell down the stairs at his parents house & ripped out all the internal stitches & he died a few hours later. I got the call from his brother at 5:30 AM on March 1st, 2010. I was backed into a grocery warehouse dock in New Stanton, PA. My next drop was Ft. Meyer near Washington DC but they had me switch with a guy who had a load to Indianapolis & then I deadheaded home from there. I took 2 weeks off, with the company truck parked at the house.

1653735_10200797125685397_991400075_n.jpg

I posted this pic on Facebook last week. Tonight his mom commented:

Eric recorded a cassette for me, it was a relaxation tape,
you get all comfy and listen as the words you hear hypnotize
you with a relaxing story and a babbling brook, birds
chirping, the sky is blue and your so comfortable. and
then BAM IN YOUR EARS Eric SCREAMING for 10 seconds
scaring the shit out of me when I'm so relaxed! Gdamit pissed
me off~~~but I kept listening to every day to try and relax
Erics screaming every time in the middle of relaxation and
jumping out of my skin each time. It got to the point that even
though I was relaxed in the back of my mind I knew it was coming...

When many alcoholics quit drinking not being able to sleep becomes a major issue. Time will take care of the problem. Sleeping pills are not the answer as addiction to those will become an issue. Vitamin b will help rewire the brain faster but time is the only cure.

My best friend Eric was always skinny. I don't think he ever got over 175 lbs & he was the same height as me. And he drank like a fish. It was so bad he'd wake up in the middle of the night to take a leak & end up cracking open a beer & drinking it before going back to sleep.

He killed his pancreas. Eventually he quit drinking but it was too late.

He was put on a transplant list. I don't know why. Usually they don't put alcoholics on transplant lists. Maybe it was because he was so young. But his pancreas was totally dead & they removed it just to get it out of there & he was 100% diabetic. They sent him home the next day. Two days later he passed out & fell down the stairs at his parents house & ripped out all the internal stitches & he died a few hours later. I got the call from his brother at 5:30 AM on March 1st, 2010. I was backed into a grocery warehouse dock in New Stanton, PA. My next drop was Ft. Meyer near Washington DC but they had me switch with a guy who had a load to Indianapolis & then I deadheaded home from there. I took 2 weeks off, with the company truck parked at the house.

View attachment 25364

I posted this pic on Facebook last week. Tonight his mom commented:

Eric recorded a cassette for me, it was a relaxation tape,
you get all comfy and listen as the words you hear hypnotize
you with a relaxing story and a babbling brook, birds
chirping, the sky is blue and your so comfortable. and
then BAM IN YOUR EARS Eric SCREAMING for 10 seconds
scaring the **** out of me when I'm so relaxed! Gdamit ****ed
me off~~~but I kept listening to every day to try and relax
Erics screaming every time in the middle of relaxation and
jumping out of my skin each time. It got to the point that even
though I was relaxed in the back of my mind I knew it was coming...
I remember your first posts about Eric and the celebration of life or wake that you had for Eric. I did not know the date was March 1st. That has meaning for me for other reasons. You have kept his memory alive and introduced him friends he will not meet here on earth. Eric sounded like a great guy!

I saw this guy's story on the idiot-box.

Eric's story reminds me a bit of him. His name was Ryan Rogers. He seemed like a really neat guy. He went to doctors, went to rehab, etc... He was trying to do everything right and looked like he was so positive about what he was doing.

His alcoholism was so profound that it killed him 17 days into detox and rehab. He was 28.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/drugged/galleries/high-on-alcohol/

What a smile!

65172_beyond-the-limit_hkg3otrmu37ot6zjav3bvhgu7vuo5lwa7ijpwnjyd6tvveahp6la_457x610-1.jpg

Something about his story really got to me.

Speaking of sleep, don't forget to set your alarms for 1:58 am this morning so you can wake up and push your clock ahead one hour. If you must, splash some water on your face to be alert enough for the job.daylights.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread