sleep apnea

MikeShee

I am a newer driver who was diagnosed with sleep apnea 3 weeks ago. I have been on a CPAP machine for 2 weeks. went to get my medical renewed today and doc said I need 3 months on the machine before I can get my medical card renewed. Are there waivers for this or am I screwed? I live in Illinois?

Hey @MikeShee my apologies for the misinformation. This got by me last time I looked over the guidelines.

http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/respiratory4_dis_secondary_sleep_ep.aspx

Waiting period

Minimum — 1 month after starting CPAP

Minimum — 3 months symptom free after surgical treatment

NOTE: If more than one waiting period applies (because of multiple conditions or other comorbid diseases), examine the driver for certification after the completion of the longest waiting period.

Looks like a minimum 1 month after you start CPAP. How long have you been on it?

I also moved your post into our health section in case there are others in a similar situation.

Last edited:
So my CDL license isn't affected if I can't get the medical card for a couple more weeks? I've been driving with the machine for the past week, but my current card expires in 12 days. I'm ok with taking a couple weeks vacation, just can't jeopardize my CDL.

Unless you live in Oklahoma your CDL oughta be fine.

It's invalid at the moment. And by invalid I mean you can drive a car but not a big-truck.

Just to be sure, you can call the DMV and ask them. But if they ask you for your name before answering your question, just hang up.

you will get a three month card. After the 3 months when it's due you go in with your print out proving you have used your cpap for 70 percent of the time and you get a med card for a year. and then get the benefit of doing it again next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread