Emergency prep kit

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
I finally got around to starting my emergency prep kit after YEARS of procrastination.

I went the route of buying store bought foods with a long shelf life and easy to prepare as opposed to going the MRE kit ready to ship to your home.

I went the store bought route because it is cheaper and I will just rotate my supplies from my kit to my kitchen as they near their shelf life and replace the item back to my kit on my next shopping trip.

No my kit is no where near being complete but, at least now I have something. Now I can just pick up and add a few extra items and build on it every time I go shopping and the cost is not as high.

I am only prepping for a natural disaster or a power outage like we had back in 2003 that lasted 3 days. Not for an armed take over of my home.

Yeah I know it sounds pretty lame but ya' just never know. We didn't know back in 2003 when the power went out for three days and there is a once in a hundred year solar flare storm due.

YouTube has tons of videos on the topic of prepping. It is just a matter of how extreme of a situation you want to prep for.

Okay now you guys and gals go.

Last edited:
good for you prepping is mainly planning for water, shelter, food in that order.

it is great that you are thinking about what to buy off the shelves, I get a kick out of people that buy the very high priced "survival food" that are pretty tasteless when they could, with a little forethought have food that not only lasts but actually taste good.

staples such as beans rice, canned meats, dehydrated veggies ect all last a long time and will make for some decent eating.

Pretty much how I was raised.

Enough staples such as rice, sugar etc to always last a growing season.

Just what we did.

TEOTWAWKI has happened to us 3-4 times since 2007.

Lost jobs, major life changes such as divorce etc.

I’ve gone as long as 8 months without having to get groceries other than milk.

Had supplies to make bread etc

When I made it last year..
047184CC-F4CF-4E4F-B20E-641B9F3194DB.jpeg

Today…
D1DF8097-52B5-4016-8646-1B56D4700312.jpeg

Last edited:
I got everything put away in a plastic tote and inventoried.
A hand written note of the products and expiration date.

My kit is not complete yet.
But now I can sit here comfortably waiting for the next disaster.

Cash money.

I have a small safe, How-much cash do you guys think people should have on hand in the event of a disaster?

Cash money.

I have a small safe, How-much cash do you guys think people should have on hand in the event of a disaster?
90 days of financial resources…

I’d even go so far as to say 180.

I know it’s been at least 90 several times.

A medical emergency can tap you for 90 days instantly.

Cash money.

That depends on the disaster. I don't think cash would do any good in certain disasters. Ammo, firearms food and water would be far more valuable.

In a disaster, I’m gonna have to pay the neighbors a visit, lol.

Just checked the pantry, we have 5 canned food items. We only have those because of Thanksgiving dinner today.

If we bought canned food, we would have to throw it out due to age at some point because we simply don’t eat it.

Only canned food we have is what is in my truck and I almost never touch it. That is the extent of my prepping.

Guess that’s the drawback of only buying fresh food, we gonna die in a disaster.

Oh, I’ve got mason and Kerr canning supplies. Both a wet bath and a pressure canner as well.

I’ve had 30 pints of tomato sauce in the pantry and just as much corn, carrots and potatoes.

The one item I’ve never canned yet is meat.

I don’t garden, but I will go to farmers markets.

I do it mainly to keep my skills up. But for cost, it’s more beneficial to just buy canned food.

In a disaster, I’m gonna have to pay the neighbors a visit, lol.

Just checked the pantry, we have 5 canned food items. We only have those because of Thanksgiving dinner today.

If we bought canned food, we would have to throw it out due to age at some point because we simply don’t eat it.

Only canned food we have is what is in my truck and I almost never touch it. That is the extent of my prepping.

Guess that’s the drawback of only buying fresh food, we gonna die in a disaster.
Get a food dehydrator. You'd be amazed at all the stuff you can dehydrate. If your not certain, just experiment with it. I dehydrate garden veggies, herbs & mushrooms every year.. even tomatoes. Blanch them to remove the skin, then slice em & dehydrate em. Crumble them into a powder for later soup making. It's better than you'd think. Plus home grown tomatoes in anything taste amazing. If you mushroom hunt, dry those bad doggies too. You can make broth, soup or crumble them for seasoning in anything. I dry tons of stuff all year long. Cook up some noodles al dente then dehydrate them for later use with even room temp water. It's not as bad tasting as folks think. Good eatin'..😁👍

Get a food dehydrator. You'd be amazed at all the stuff you can dehydrate. If your not certain, just experiment with it. I dehydrate garden veggies, herbs & mushrooms every year.. even tomatoes. Blanch them to remove the skin, then slice em & dehydrate em. Crumble them into a powder for later soup making. It's better than you'd think. Plus home grown tomatoes in anything taste amazing. If you mushroom hunt, dry those bad doggies too. You can make broth, soup or crumble them for seasoning in anything. I dry tons of stuff all year long. Cook up some noodles al dente then dehydrate them for later use with even room temp water. It's not as bad tasting as folks think. Good eatin'..😁👍
We have one, we just almost never use it.

I say we have one, it’s been a couple years since I used it, might have got thrown away or given away.

We have one, we just almost never use it.

I say we have one, it’s been a couple years since I used it, might have got thrown away or given away.
Or it's being used to serve another purpose.. shelf, mini storage cabinet, plant stand..😅

I am not as prepared as I had thought. Knowing that high winds were coming through and I was sitting there scrolling my Twitter feed, reading about power outages in the surrounding area.

I had like 20% battery life on my phone. Then I read a Tweet from the fire dept saying, make sure your devices are fully charged.
Oh ya that's a good idea! I should charge my phone before the power goes out.:bonk:
But I did have a back up plan. I can charge my phone in my car.

I am not as prepared as I had thought. Knowing that high winds were coming through and I was sitting there scrolling my Twitter feed, reading about power outages in the surrounding area.

I had like 20% battery life on my phone. Then I read a Tweet from the fire dept saying, make sure your devices are fully charged.
Oh ya that's a good idea! I should charge my phone before the power goes out.:bonk:
But I did have a back up plan. I can charge my phone in my car.

Those work great. I have two of them, guessing my wife bought the two pack when she got them for me. She laughed at me for wanting them, then the entire family kept their phones and other devices charged with them for a few days when lightning struck our house.

Those work great. I have two of them, guessing my wife bought the two pack when she got them for me. She laughed at me for wanting them, then the entire family kept their phones and other devices charged with them for a few days when lightning struck our house.
Ha! So who is laughing now Maria? 🤔

Actually nobody because you know the house was hit by lightning :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread