Electric Chickens Hot (shot) Idea

Actually I have done it.

Spent a lot of time and effort trying to make local contacts, entertaining the local companies that would use the service.

Used the reefer for a while, did the goose neck and hauled skidsteers etc and tried lumber for the local yards.

Always someone willing to come in to cut the rate and claim they could do it better for less.

Brokers, another electric chicken or some other 90 day wonder that felt he didn't need insurance or authority.
No you didn't do it. "I was looking into it" isn't doing it.

There’s a reason you don’t see a lot of Hot Shots around.

It’s not because it’s an untapped market.
I see them all the time.

It doesn't work if you live in BFE. You have to be near population and industry because it doesn't always travel very far. And you can't rely on the spot market exclusively.

You guys have to remember I live where you can't spit without hitting someone's warehouse or small business or farm.

Looking at the satellite view and there's about 44 warehouses within 5 miles of Schneider's lot, which is 5 miles from my house.

That's nothing compared to working your way up the interstate to the bigger towns with hundreds of them in the same vicinity of one another. Clusters of warehouses. That's in addition to the small businesses and farms all over my area. And that's just my area, within 50 miles.

Cover PA, NY, NJ, MD, etc and you can find work.

You guys have to remember I live where you can't spit without hitting someone's warehouse or small business or farm.

Looking at the satellite view and there's about 44 warehouses within 5 miles of Schneider's lot, which is 5 miles from my house.

That's nothing compared to working your way up the interstate to the bigger towns with hundreds of them in the same vicinity of one another. Clusters of warehouses. That's in addition to the small businesses and farms all over my area. And that's just my area, within 50 miles.

Cover PA, NY, NJ, MD, etc and you can find work.
Why the hell would you want to operate in any of those states? I try to avoid them like the Black Plague.

Why the hell would you want to operate in any of those states? I try to avoid them like the Black Plague.
Because they're where I live and operate anyway. It's where the people, freight, and $ are. It's where there's enough sh*t to deliver close enough that you don't have to live in a truck and shower in a truck stop.

It wasn't that long ago that I was paid $100 just to help move a headboard. 30 miles round trip.

Because they're where I live and operate anyway. It's where the people, freight, and $ are. It's where there's enough sh*t to deliver close enough that you don't have to live in a truck and shower in a truck stop.

It wasn't that long ago that I was paid $100 just to help move a headboard. 30 miles round trip.
Your friends must be nice. Either that or they are trying to help out you n Kev.

Oh, well that was quite generous. They can rent a pickup from menards in my home town for $20 per day.
Yeah it was. I've taken personal vehicles for people for $80-100 for a few miles more than once. Not as generous as the headboard but not uncommon. Time is why I can't do it more. Sometimes I run into width issues with my trailer. Eg someone wants a dually moved and it won't fit between my fenders.

We don't have Menards but we have Uhauls. He said it wasn't worth the hassle.

I mean you can actually make decent money on the small moves that aren't worth doing in a Class 8.

You're not gonna roll up to someone's house with an RGN and a W900 to move their Civic but you can do it and then fetch someone's F150 nearby with a goose.

Then you can go get those zero turns from the dealer, drop them off at their respective purchaser's homes, find something nearby, etc.

It doesn't have to be any one particular thing and you can get into neighborhoods where a Class 8 truck can't go.

I mean you can actually make decent money on the small moves that aren't worth doing in a Class 8.

You're not gonna roll up to someone's house with an RGN and a W900 to move their Civic but you can do it and then fetch someone's F150 nearby with a goose.

Then you can go get those zero turns from the dealer, drop them off at their respective purchaser's homes, find something nearby, etc.

It doesn't have to be any one particular thing and you can get into neighborhoods where a Class 8 truck can't go.
I am not arguing that you can’t make money at it. I have met a few guys who sold their red ovals and bought blue ovals and goosenecks and claim they make just as much as they did with those red ovals.

And I got $400 to move a 20-something foot travel trailer about 15 miles a few weeks ago.

I used my 77 F-100.

Ain't got no "operating authority", no commercial insurance, nunna that "legal" mumbo jumbo. Hell the f*ing plates expired in May of '18 but I don't care.

I'm an OUTLAW. 😎

I am not arguing that you can’t make money at it. I have met a few guys who sold their red ovals and bought blue ovals and goosenecks and claim they make just as much as they did with those red ovals.
Yeah you can. I've seen it. Or claims of it. My thing is getting out of these Class 8s. I have no desire and probably don't have the fortitude to go OTR to get the comfort. I really don't want to be away that long.

I'm also at the point where I don't need to make the 80k I make at Schneider. It would be nice but I'll get rid of stuff if I have to.

And there's no law that says I have to hotshot forever. If I decide to get back into Class 8 I can.

And I got $400 to move a 20-something foot travel trailer about 15 miles a few weeks ago.

I used my 77 F-100.

Ain't got no "operating authority", no commercial insurance, nunna that "legal" mumbo jumbo. Hell the f*ing plates expired in May of '18 but I don't care.

I'm an OUTLAW. 😎
Lol that's a pretty sweet one.

Lol that's a pretty sweet one.
Yeah but I can't do that all the time. I'd tear up that classic truck.

I just saw an ad on Facebook asking for someone to move it to their farmhouse from a different farmhouse where he bought it. Ad was 4 hours old with no comments so I'm like **** it I'll do it. 😁

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread