Eld

My question is how many miles truthful miles do you regularly log in 65 mph with elogs I have been off the road for 5 yrs thinking about coming back and can do with out the smoke that recruiters usually blow.

My question is how many miles truthful miles do you regularly log in 65 mph with elogs I have been off the road for 5 yrs thinking about coming back and can do with out the smoke that recruiters usually blow.
An ELD is tied to your ECM, and many are synced with GPS location tags.

So exactly how are you going to pencil whip your truck's ECM? Forge GPS location updates?

You ain't.

An ELD is tied to your ECM, and many are synced with GPS location tags.

So exactly how are you going to pencil whip your truck's ECM? Forge GPS location updates?

You ain't.

Well you can still pencil whip or should i say keyboard whip your pretrip ....

And the ECM doesnt know if Im really off duty or actually working or on duty but portraying an illusion of being off duty

Well you can still pencil whip or should i say keyboard whip your pretrip ....

And the ECM doesnt know if Im really off duty or actually working or on duty but portraying an illusion of being off duty
The OP was asking about the drive line.

I found that I wa doing more miles per day and per week with ELDs than I was doing on paper and even when "adjusting" my logs.
ELDs log right down to the minute and not in 15 min blocks also Elds log actual speed so you don't have some diesel bear trying to tell you that you can only log at 55 mph.
Also the EKD does not kick in right away so you can up to highway speed from a rest area before the ELD kicks in.

I found that I wa doing more miles per day and per week with ELDs than I was doing on paper and even when "adjusting" my logs.
ELDs log right down to the minute and not in 15 min blocks also Elds log actual speed so you don't have some diesel bear trying to tell you that you can only log at 55 mph.
Also the EKD does not kick in right away so you can up to highway speed from a rest area before the ELD kicks in.
Yeah, but...

That was the way it started out as an "elog." Which was definitely cool.

When they get boosted to the ELD spec it's different...

ELDs will show your line 3 start time when you started rolling, not after your "movement allowance" expires. If you stop within that period, you must remain motionless for 5 minutes or it will kick you on the drive line when you initially moved.

Edits: the minimum edit it will record prior to a movement is 5 minutes. Otherwise, an ELD will discard the edit and show your line 3 start as the minute you entered the edit.

Most of the time you don't notice these bullshit federal "gotcha's."

For example, you fuel the truck on line 4 after coming off the road allowing the ELD to automatically leave the drive line. Go into the truck stop, and come back out to edit the elog to show fueling for 5 minutes, and the remainder as line 1, off-duty.

The edit hits at 33-minutes after you stop.

That means you have 5 minutes on line 4, and (33-5) 28 minutes on line 1. If you leave in another 2 minutes (when your 8-hour clock resets) it all looks good, but your edit will be rejected - its not been 5 minutes since the edit.

Under elogs everything is cool. With an ELD, you'll have only 28-minutes, and once you get on the road you'll be wondering WTF!!???

:mad:

If your current elog system isn't doing this today, it will be prior to 12/17, or the FMCSA won't certify it for use under the mandatory ELD edict.

:mad::mad:

Okay cool I initially left because I was forced in a truck with elogs and went from avg of 2300-2800 to 1300
-1400 but mind you it was all still new but as long as 22/23 is possible I may give it a shot thanks for the info makes it little more believable hearing it from drivers

On that 30 minute break or anytime actually its BEST to "manually" switch from Off Duty to Drive Line....

My current carrier has a GLITCH and often if ya start Moving not only did ya lose your break it ALL goes on the Drive Line and its usually TOO LATE by the time ya catch it..

So not only did ya sit around ya screwed your 11 hour clock......

Always physically change the status

Okay cool I initially left because I was forced in a truck with elogs and went from avg of 2300-2800 to 1300
-1400 but mind you it was all still new but as long as 22/23 is possible I may give it a shot thanks for the info makes it little more believable hearing it from drivers

Well as of Year End the ELOGS are the LAW of the LAND.....

And dont count on some bullcrap about OIDA that lawsuit was already ruled on ...

yet some fools out there STILL got their fingers crossed and honestly "belive"...

Um, whatever. Your company will not micromange everyone. I won, keep playing the bitch and good luck to you. Baaahhhh...

I opted to have an Elog put in my truck when my carrier was doing their company trucks. Instead of the internet banter and paranoia crowd, I wanted to know if I could actually make a living with the thing. Else, I would move my truck somewhere else. Well, that was over 5 years ago. Still at the same carrier. Elog didn't change a thing about how I do things or what I make. Sure, there was an adjustment period, but it was short and relatively painless. It is not the job killer and poverty thing that many presuppose. Most folks who are on Elogs have no issues. Only those that have never used them gin up all the fear and doomsday scenarios to get everyone all frightened.

Granted, for it to work well, a carrier needs to have their act together on how they plan and book loads. Some fly by night outfit that can't seem to get it together, well, their drivers are going to have a real rough time when this all kicks in full force. I tell folks to do things on paper as if they were on an Elog to see how this is going to work for them. If it isn't, then find a carrier that knows what they are doing. No one is forced to stay where they are.

I average about well over 130,000 miles a year.... on Elogs. I also am by the house once or twice a week, and home every weekend and holiday and typically take 2-3 weeks off a year. Not on a dedicated gig either. Same irregular route, dry box stuff as most others are. Only exception to that is most of what I do is no more than 500-600 miles from the house in any direction. A few weekends a year, my weekend at home is not enough to pull off a 34 reset, but that is not common. So what. The Elog does all the recap on hours for me and I continue to work thru the next week picking up hours from the previous week. I have no desire to do a paper log again. I carry a log book if the Elog goes on the fritz.

Last edited:
I opted to have an Elog put in my truck when my carrier was doing their company trucks. Instead of the internet banter and paranoia crowd, I wanted to know if I could actually make a living with the thing. Else, I would move my truck somewhere else. Well, that was over 5 years ago. Still at the same carrier. Elog didn't change a thing about how I do things or what I make. Sure, there was an adjustment period, but it was short and relatively painless. It is not the job killer and poverty thing that many presuppose. Most folks who are on Elogs have no issues. Only those that have never used them gin up all the fear and doomsday scenarios to get everyone all frightened.

Granted, for it to work well, a carrier needs to have their act together on how they plan and book loads. Some fly by night outfit that can't seem to get it together, well, their drivers are going to have a real rough time when this all kicks in full force. I tell folks to do things on paper as if they were on an Elog to see how this is going to work for them. If it isn't, then find a carrier that knows what they are doing. No one is forced to stay where they are.

I average about well over 130,000 miles a year.... on Elogs. I also am by the house once or twice a week, and home every weekend and holiday and typically take 2-3 weeks off a year. Not on a dedicated gig either. Same irregular route, dry box stuff as most others are. Only exception to that is most of what I do is no more than 500-600 miles from the house in any direction. A few weekends a year, my weekend at home is not enough to pull off a 34 reset, but that is not common. So what. The Elog does all the recap on hours for me and I continue to work thru the next week picking up hours from the previous week. I have no desire to do a paper log again. I carry a log book if the Elog goes on the fritz.
^^^ What he said. Been on elogs for 7 years.

That is the beauty part that I forgot about that @Copperhead touched on. At night when you are tired from the day and after your post trip, You just hit the button and hop in the bunk. No trying to figure out the name of the town or what ever and risking a form and manner ticket.
Also your hours are calculated. You know at glance ho many hours you have for the day, the week and before you need to take a 30.
Also extremely helpful when you are trying to split the sleeper birth and not get a ticket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread