Duck Pond Redneckery

I never quit. I've been continuously employed by them since 2005. I simply switched to "part time" and all I do now is rescue their junk when it breaks down and they ditch it at a shop in the Chicago area. This is the 2nd time this month.

I picked this one up in Mokena today at that KW dealer next to I-80. Picking up a load to Sioux City tomorrow, ditching the truck at the yard and hitching a ride back.

For the first time in ten years, I'll be leaving Sarah home alone for two days and I don't like that idea. No idea why I agreed to do this. If it wasn't for the fact I gotta hitch a ride back with some other driver, I'd bring her with.
You could always take her with and fly back

you got a lot of open spaces between those planks..

why..??
That's how the barn is built.

They put 12 inch wide planks up, spaced a half inch apart on purpose to allow them to expand in summer humidity.

Then they put skinny molding strips over the gaps, nailed ONLY to the same framing stuff the planks are nailed to. The nails go through the gaps between the planks, I mean.

(In this picture, there's only primer on the molding strips, but they're all red now.)

20200917_170244.jpg

The gaps in the siding on the lower wall are wider because I had to use planks that were only 11-1/4" wide but I wanted to keep them inline with the planks above.

The upper part of the wall has all its molding strips missing because they rotted and fell off. I'm going to cut 1x4s down to make replacements.

That's how the barn is built.

They put 12 inch wide planks up, spaced a half inch apart on purpose to allow them to expand in summer humidity.

Then they put skinny molding strips over the gaps, nailed ONLY to the same framing stuff the planks are nailed to. The nails go through the gaps between the planks, I mean.

(In this picture, there's only primer on the molding strips, but they're all red now.)

View attachment 71481

The gaps in the siding on the lower wall are wider because I had to use planks that were only 11-1/4" wide but I wanted to keep them inline with the planks above.

The upper part of the wall has all its molding strips missing because they rotted and fell off. I'm going to cut 1x4s down to make replacements.
but come winter, the animals get a huge draft up thier tails, with all those spaces. (as the cold/wind) can blow thru the molding strips.

how do you keep the animals from freezing to death? or getting pneumonia?

but come winter, the animals get a huge draft up thier tails, with all those spaces. (as the cold/wind) can blow thru the molding strips.

how do you keep the animals from freezing to death? or getting pneumonia?
That’s what keeps them from getting pneumonia if you board it up tight with no ventilation and they get warm and then cold that’s when they get sick.

That’s what keeps them from getting pneumonia if you board it up tight with no ventilation and they get warm and then cold that’s when they get sick.
well educate me, if you would?

you got animals, in a barn. it's sub-zero temps, and the barn is like (in a way) wide open with those planks being spaced apart.

how do the animals stay warm, and not freeze to death? or get sick from the extreme weather?

you got animals, in a barn. it's sub-zero temps, and the barn is like (in a way) wide open with those planks being spaced apart.

how do the animals stay warm, and not freeze to death? or get sick from the extreme weather?
I live in MN and I'm a dairy farmer. All of our heifers, dry cows, and steers live outside in 3 sided sheds. As long as they have a dry spot to lay down and some protection from the wind they are just fine.

You missed his point. Those trim strips close the gap. They aren't tied to the siding board, so the gap opens and closes behind the trim piece.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom