CB Radio CB

I have the Cobra 29 with the basic peak and tune. I've had k40's(6000w)whip and factory antennas on this volvo and i now have the k40 adjustable antenna. My antenna light would go on and when I keyed up, but no matter what adjustment I made,(higher or lower) the antenna light kept coming on. I read something about "ground plane" and I have a grounding mount on the bracket. After I'd about given up, I ran a single piece of tie-wire from the base of the antenna to one of the screws holding the bracket in place. Now the antenna light doesn't come on and the CB gets out. The "cal" is off but i've adjusted the "SWR" knob down to where it reads one.I'm sure I real CB guy could get this setup right. My two questions for this are:
1. Will this "SWR" improperly set hurt anything internally for the CB?
2. Do Volvo trucks have a grounding problem?:tiphat:

Question #1..... Yes

Question #2..... Yes

As long as you at least had a coax and antenna (even improperly tuned) your 29 is probably still okay. That SWR knob on the 29 don't do much. Buy a meter, or, go find a tech.

There is a antenna mounting post that can purchased that will replace one of the visor mounting screws. It screws directly into the body, so a decent ground plane is obtained. Check the 7th item on this page to see what I'm referring to.

I've had issues with this from day 1 and it's always with the damn antenna. i don't get nearly as much noise with my grounding modification but i know it's not the exact right way to get it done. Every time I touch any metal in this truck, I get shocked so I knew there had to be some kind of grounding problem. Any further recommendations on antennas or adjusting this one?
:beep:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread