CB Radio Cb radio overload!

I got a new truck at work and want near best performance out of my antenna. Ive been reading and sm just overwhelmed eith grounding grounding planes nylon washers mounts whips fiberglass swr dual antennas dual antennas sharing stereo and cb. Im pulling my hair out! My truck is an older cascadia and who knows what they did with the old antenna setup. I think the easiest thing for me to do is buy a single mirror mount kit fiberglass to 13'6" and call it a day. I do have the stock mounts just behind the cab doors but i dont think the coax are good or grojnded of if thry need to be grounded!!!! Im just really overwhelmed and want a very nice setup. PLEASE HELP!!!

Most new trucks run all of their antennas through a duplex box for both the AM FM radio in the CB.

I will admit these trucks are not designed for CB performance.

Plan on having to run all new coax and start with a good LMR RG58 coax.

Ok so lets start from the begining. Should i buy that little bracket for the mirror or use the factory mount behind the cab door? I guess it all come down to being a "grounded" antenna having good "grounding plane" and best location? I read for best performance i want a "grounded antenna". As far as groundinv plane i think im screwed because of fiberglass body? Im just learning all these terms so excuse me.

Please help me. When using terms and products maybe a small expanation please!

What exactly are you expecting the radio to do for you? Are you trying to play with the guys that play on skip or do you want to just talk to a scale house? Or somebody running down the road with you

I think your best bet to save you the aggravation would be to visit a good C.B. shop.
They can recommend what needs to be done based on your needs. They can change out the coax easy, they do it everyday and match the antennas easily. It will cost you but you will get the results you desire.

If you just want it Cheap and easy, get the mirror mount. You are not going to get out very far though.

Im sure a pro cb shop could do a better job. I spent $100 on amazon. 7ft fiberglass antenna' heavy duty spring (wider center coils), clamp mount, bird perch, and quality coax cable. Hopefully ill get a good swr and reach 5 miles clearly. Ill report back if you guys are interested.

Im sure a pro cb shop could do a better job. I spent $100 on amazon. 7ft fiberglass antenna' heavy duty spring (wider center coils), clamp mount, bird perch, and quality coax cable. Hopefully ill get a good swr and reach 5 miles clearly. Ill report back if you guys are interested.
We're interested

Heres what i bought. Ill post pictures installed and with performance results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200301-093023_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-093023_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20200301-092959_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-092959_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200301-092940_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-092940_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20200301-092857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-092857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20200301-092825_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200301-092825_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4
Sorry I’m late to the thread. I would buy the pro comm mount, get a 6’ Skipshooter, take a piece of 3/4 pvc pipe and cut it between 12-18 inches to keep the antenna from flexing. Tune the tip with the antenna tilted forward about 20-30 degrees where it will be vertical at road speeds.

the skipshooter is the best receiving antenna I've ever used. Here is the antenna with the correct amount of tilt for good swr and the pvc reinforcement.
.5BC7F201-65B7-473F-938D-420B908E18AA.jpeg

put some wire loom around the coax to keep it from pinching.
B7B75651-0FAC-45B2-9D38-01E39DE071BE.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom