California Fleets, Buy Your New Nikola Trucks Today

There you go, up to $288k in incentives for each truck.

MAX Range: 330 miles
Charge time: 90 minutes
Horsepower: 645

So, how many will jump on this money and take the risk?

If you operated in California, would you be tempted?

829FD0F7-08AA-433E-9A60-1A810DE0894A.jpeg

The Nikola Tre battery-electric vehicle (BEV) and Tre fuel-cell electric vehicle (FCEV) are both eligible for HVIP vouchers, making Nikola the first manufacturer to offer both battery and hydrogen-powered Class 8 trucks available through this incentive program.

Created to support the transition from diesel to zero-emission transportation, California’s Hybrid and Zero-Emission Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project (HVIP) reduces the total cost of ownership on hybrid and zero-emission vehicles in the state of California.

Customers of the Nikola Tre FCEV can access a point-of-sale incentive starting at $240,000 and ranging up to $288,000 per truck in 2023. The Tre FCEV is available for order now, with delivery expected in the second half of 2023.

The Nikola Tre BEV qualified for HVIP in 2022 and continues to be eligible in 2023 for an incentive valued at $120,000 per truck, and up to $150,000 for drayage fleets. Customers can contact a Nikola dealer to schedule a test drive and purchase a Tre BEV now. HVIP vouchers are available to California fleets on a first come, first served basis. Sign up today to connect with one of our HVIP approved dealers to begin the application process.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not everywhere. If you want to charge a truck or car, can you just pull over to the next corner store to do it yet? I can't even count the amount of gas stations within walking distance of me (2 miles) that have both gas and diesel.
There was a time when gas stations weren't on every corner.

Infrastructure will come. It's already exploded for Teslas.

From what I have heard here, charging an electric car is like adding another house to the electric grid.
I am not sure that the grid and power generation is ready for every home have two electric cars in their driveway and the capability to charge them.

From what I have heard here, charging an electric car is like adding another house to the electric grid.
I am not sure that the grid and power generation is ready for every home have two electric cars in their driveway and the capability to charge them.
Yeah it's not like the world can handle a 100% changeover tomorrow, but we should have a healthy mix.

These things will be great for dense population short work.

And just like an ICE, diesel, they figure a way to throttle them back when leaving the starting line. They way you won't be competing with the cars and tearing the tires off the trucks.
Same thing with disc brakes on trucks. Freight shifting is a problem. In vans & reefers, there is no securement.

Same thing with disc brakes on trucks. Freight shifting is a problem. In vans & reefers, there is no securement.
Wouldn't that depend on the freight being transported, whether or not it was secured? I haveta ask. I only hauled a box one time.

Wouldn't that depend on the freight being transported, whether or not it was secured? I haveta ask. I only hauled a box one time.
They just run everything in on pallets, sometimes double stacked, and then they close the doors.

Friction load locks can hold a few boxes from falling off the rear-most pallets but that's about it.

E-tracks and straps will do a better job of that, but they're still not gonna do a damn thing to hold back the mass of an entire load trying to shift.

Most of the stuff I drag around is drop and hook presealed so I don't actually know what's in there or how it's in there.

The BOL may say it's 459 cases of 2847383929 but it could also just be 20 tons of pot. :dunno:

It doesn't even have to be eco-junk. The new regular trucks seem to be on a hook more than under their own power. I refused the '24 hood the boss is trying to pass onto me. I told him I didn't want to spend my night sitting on the side of I-95 with a load of fuel behind me.
My bucket of bolts dragging a 2020 389 with 150,00 miles from Texas to WV, just to get it in a shop….BAE1CD69-5165-49ED-AEC4-4AA696985574.png

I said a real truck.

A Fleet spec Detroit 60, Cummins ISX or Cat 3406 from before 2007 would eat any stock diesel built after 2010.

Unless you're a smart-ass & say put it up against a locomotive engine..🙄
Absolutely not true. My current 500hp motor will pull just as well, possibly out pull any other 500hp engine I have owned or driven in the past.

Absolutely not true. My current 500hp motor will pull just as well, possibly out pull any other 500hp engine I have owned or driven in the past.
What rear axle ratios are in that thing and what RPMs do you turn at 65?

Probably asked and answered but my memory is shot.

What rear axle ratios are in that thing and what RPMs do you turn at 65?

Probably asked and answered but my memory is shot.
285 gears
About 1225 rpm at 65mph

If I bought it today, I would have went with taller gears. 264 wasn’t an option due to lack of availability. I would probably push for even taller now that I have had the truck for a while.

285 gears
About 1225 rpm at 65mph

If I bought it today, I would have went with taller gears. 264 wasn’t an option due to lack of availability. I would probably push for even taller now that I have had the truck for a while.
1.88 would be good. Cruise at 65 on lowpros turning a cool 800rpm. 😃

There was a time when gas stations weren't on every corner.

Infrastructure will come. It's already exploded for Teslas.
Massive resistance comes with every level of progression.

Those that held on to horses swore the gas engine would never replace them.

With diesel, diesel itself was resisted in trucks, but quickly proved itself to be the better option over gas for heavy vehicles.

Those that held on to mechanical diesel engines revolted against electronically controlled diesel engines. After the bugs were worked out, we ended up with better diesel engines that last much longer. And I know, after reading this, there will be “that guy” who swears he could easily get 3 million miles out of a mechanical diesel, and probably did it with 20 trucks. Yep, 60 million miles of driving under his belt before the age of 30.

New technology is coming. There will be bugs. Those bugs will be worked out. Until then, many will resist for as long as possible. Some will refuse to move forward and accept it.

Direct drive, it’s already out there. Not 1.88 specifically, but below 2.

Cruise rpm has already been pushed below 1000.
I know my truck will still pull around 800-900 but the moment it gets below that it needs to downshift. It would probably stay there more if it didn't have so much drag.

It's pretty nice on flat ground. You don't need much to stay moving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread