Best semi for Heavy Haul?


Volvo/Mack killed the D16. So I can see the DD16 being replaced.

I can see it happening as well. Displacement got big to compensate for emissions. Emissions has been addressed pretty well at this point, and engine sizes are coming back down, while power ratings are going up.

Truth be told, I had no reason to need a DD15 for an 80k operation. DD13 would have been just fine. Tim Allen syndrome prevented me from getting a DD13 with a short nose conventional.
 
I can see it happening as well. Displacement got big to compensate for emissions. Emissions has been addressed pretty well at this point, and engine sizes are coming back down, while power ratings are going up.

Truth be told, I had no reason to need a DD15 for an 80k operation. DD13 would have been just fine. Tim Allen syndrome prevented me from getting a DD13 with a short nose conventional.
Short nose conventionals just aren't owner-operatory enough. They look like they're missing chromosomes.
 
I can see it happening as well. Displacement got big to compensate for emissions. Emissions has been addressed pretty well at this point, and engine sizes are coming back down, while power ratings are going up.

Truth be told, I had no reason to need a DD15 for an 80k operation. DD13 would have been just fine. Tim Allen syndrome prevented me from getting a DD13 with a short nose conventional.
I’ve got $1000 worth of filters and shit to replace when I get home
For my semi-annual servicing. $400 just to keep the emissions working correctly.
 
Wait. These trucks have $1000 worth of filters? 🤔

Oh wait you also said "and shit."

Nevermind.


Yes, they have $1000 worth of filters.

I change them all twice a year to keep the truck reliable.

Engine air, def, air dryer, cabin (x2, bunk and dash), fuel; davco and spin on, water (annually), power steering and fluid,
 
Yes, they have $1000 worth of filters.

I change them all twice a year to keep the truck reliable.

Engine air, def, air dryer, cabin (x2, bunk and dash), fuel; davco and spin on, water (annually), power steering and fluid,
I feel like you're overpaying or I'm getting sweet deals.
 
I feel like you're overpaying or I'm getting sweet deals.
Im buying strictly Volvo.

For reasons..

DEF filter is $75 my cost.

It’s in my hand for size reference…🤨

B2FBD573-DCAA-4FDF-94F7-FEA19A0A39D2.jpeg


$75-90 each, these stupid things add up by the time you do all of them.

Air dryer filter is $145 itself. Used by 45 different systems and probably the most neglected one of them all having the biggest impact. From brakes to transmission to emissions.
 
Last edited:
Did my first service just shy of 70k miles. Cost me around $1100.00 for everything other than cabin filters and any coolant and power steering fluid filters. All Detroit filters. Air Filter box said Donaldson, but it said Detroit on the filter once you opened the box (they make the filters for Detroit).

DEF filter was nowhere near due to be replaced, but I'm not waiting until then. Two major services a year, that filter is getting replaced each time to keep the system as clean as possible. Same with Air filter. No idea what the air dryer filter will cost, but it will be replaced on service #2.

This crap is definitely not cheap, LOL.
 
I staggered all my stuff so I'd have to look it up to recall but the two I remembered are that I got my air filter for $18 on Amazon with free shipping and I pay about $13 for my Davcos at the carrier. I bought cabin filters in bulk that worked out to about $12 each.

Reason I'd have to look up the rest is I let them do them during a service. Eg the def and air dryer filters when I had them clean the dpf.
 
Probably why….


And filters I’d never use.

Either fleetguard or Volvo.

Ask @Mike about davco filters.
I figure if it worked for 7 years it'll work for 7 more. They wouldn't use them if they voided the warranty, so it can't be bad that I'm using them without one.

They've been using Mack trucks continuously since the 1950s, FWIW.
 

Back
Top