Battery terminal maintenance


Boys, it’s not hard to wire in a disconnect on the negative or positive side.
You know what...I’m going to ask...

Pros and cons on negative versus positive disconnect?

Off the top of my head the positive side is still the way to go, because there could be a problem elsewhere giving a ground that could still create a draw.

Fuzzily my memory says that adding things like a disconnect on the negative (ground) side can be a lot smaller because there’s no current draw to speak of, or at least not much in terms of amps on the negative side
 
You know what...I’m going to ask...

Pros and cons on negative versus positive disconnect?

Off the top of my head the positive side is still the way to go, because there could be a problem elsewhere giving a ground that could still create a draw.

Fuzzily my memory says that adding things like a disconnect on the negative (ground) side can be a lot smaller because there’s no current draw to speak of, or at least not much in terms of amps on the negative side
Pos is better for the reason you state. But if your disconnect is in the battery box on the neg it should make it impossible for the pos to reach ground. Only do Neg if it’s in the box. Remote mount always Pos
 
I wish this truck had a kill switch, next truck I order will have one.
Make sure what you're getting. Freightliners just turn off some outputs from the PDM, and aren't a true complete disconnect. Not sure if a true disconnect is even available.
 
Make sure what you're getting. Freightliners just turn off some outputs from the PDM, and aren't a true complete disconnect. Not sure if a true disconnect is even available.
That’s only if you get the PNDB set up on the Cascadia. They have stopped production on the Coronado. You can still get the 122SD it also has the option for a PNDB. The M2 tractor also has the PNDB available. This does shut off most loads that would create a parasitic draw. You can still get a true disconnect. Also for about $70 in parts you can install your own.
 
That’s only if you get the PNDB set up on the Cascadia. They have stopped production on the Coronado. You can still get the 122SD it also has the option for a PNDB. The M2 tractor also has the PNDB available. This does shut off most loads that would create a parasitic draw. You can still get a true disconnect. Also for about $70 in parts you can install your own.
Our Stars all have the PNDB, too. The old school part of me prefers the mechanical disconnect. And that switch isn't ~$400 when (if) it goes bad!
 
Our Stars all have the PNDB, too. The old school part of me prefers the mechanical disconnect. And that switch isn't ~$400 when (if) it goes bad!
Western Star has been owned by Daimler since 2001 and they have all the same options as any Freightliner. I am a fan of the mechanical switch myself. Then PNDBs are known for greening out and doing wonky things.
 
Seeing that more and more. Even saw a shop with that as their main business. (I think by Sapp in Denver, but could be wrong on that.)

Thermo King does the installs in Joplin. They haven't done it on a truck yet, only on trailers, but they said they could do mine if I decided to get it. Pretty sure it will be on my next truck.
 
Western Star has been owned by Daimler since 2001 and they have all the same options as any Freightliner. I am a fan of the mechanical switch myself. Then PNDBs are known for greening out and doing wonky things.
My 07 Star was one of last to have the old Red Dot HVAC (and some other stuff) pre-Daimler parts in it. At least the newer trucks we can get parts at a Freightliner store.
 
Thermo King does the installs in Joplin. They haven't done it on a truck yet, only on trailers, but they said they could do mine if I decided to get it. Pretty sure it will be on my next truck.
What kind of wattage? And I worry about branch strikes.
 
pretty much in line with what Enow provides, and that is who Freightliner wanted to use when I was specing out a truck with them.
 
My 07 Star was one of last to have the old Red Dot HVAC (and some other stuff) pre-Daimler parts in it. At least the newer trucks we can get parts at a Freightliner store.
Star was still hanging red dot on the 4900s in 2013 when I worked at Wick’s Western Star in Omaha. I believe the only model to have the Behr Denzo system is the 5700
 
pretty much in line with what Enow provides, and that is who Freightliner wanted to use when I was specing out a truck with them.
Ok. Off topic.

WHY are you considering a Freightliner?

Here’s your one chance, I’m not trolling, Hail Mary, time to give me an informed reason to illustrate why we should include newer Freightliners as “real” trucks
 
Ok. Off topic.

WHY are you considering a Freightliner?

Here’s your one chance, I’m not trolling, Hail Mary, time to give me an informed reason to illustrate why we should include newer Freightliners as “real” trucks

I'm considering all options.

If it looks like I will be running long hauls when the purchase time comes, then the truck will be bigger. If I manage to narrow my operating area to a semi local/regional gig, then the truck will be smaller.

A w990 isn't out of the question at this point, 600hp CumminGs and all.

A short nosed Cascadia is even a possibility if I end up transitioning into fairly local stuff.
 
I'm considering all options.

If it looks like I will be running long hauls when the purchase time comes, then the truck will be bigger. If I manage to narrow my operating area to a semi local/regional gig, then the truck will be smaller.

A w990 isn't out of the question at this point, 600hp CumminGs and all.

A short nosed Cascadia is even a possibility if I end up transitioning into fairly local stuff.
Short-nosed trucks are a nightmare to work on!
 

Back
Top