Automatic tire/ wheel balancer system??

tacotory

Some years ago at a trucking show in Dallas, I saw a device that got installed at each wheel that automatically balanced the wheel/ tire constantly. It was a disc about the diameter of the wheel that had a tube running around the outside of the disc. The tube was 3/8- 1/2" in diameter. The tube was filled with something like sand. As the tire spun, the sand would move in the tube and automatically balance the unit. They had a demo set up with wheel that was so badly out of balance that it would nearly shake off the table. When they would then install the disc, it would spin perfectly true.

I can't seem to find this system now. Has anyone heard of it or seen it and know what it is called?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i seen a system like that once but it had steel balls that ran around it. the driver said it worked great. it was the only set ive ever seen.

I like Balance Master better than Centramatic. They use liquid mercury instead of steel balls. One ding when you are getting a tire changed and Centramatics are done because the steel balls can't fit through the narrow spot. Balance Masters can be full of dings and they will still work.

I like Balance Master better than Centramatic. They use liquid mercury instead of steel balls. One ding when you are getting a tire changed and Centramatics are done because the steel balls can't fit through the narrow spot. Balance Masters can be full of dings and they will still work.

that does sound better.

Those look pretty good. I only have one question- you mention that if you dent the Centrmatic the balls get stuck. On their site, they show the balls are very small (smaller than BBs), not large balls like in their example video. Did their old design used to have large balls that could get caught and now they have changed to the small pellets, or are the small pellets prone to getting caught up too?

Based on the best prices I have found so far, the Balance Masters are about 12% more expensive, so I'm just trying to see if they are worth the extra $$.

Thanks for the input!

The type that have the steel shot inside have the potential problems mentioned with respect to a dent on the tube, and I have also heard that over time the steel balls can actually wear through the tube. Supposedly the type with mercury inside will not wear through the tube, as there is no friction as the mercury moves through the tube.

So the mercury type should be worth the extra cost.

Did their old design used to have large balls that could get caught and now they have changed to the small pellets, or are the small pellets prone to getting caught up too?

Based on the best prices I have found so far, the Balance Masters are about 12% more expensive, so I'm just trying to see if they are worth the extra $$.

Thanks for the input!
They must have changed since I looked at them. Racer gives some good reasons to spend the extra for Balance Masters anyhow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread