Motor Carrier Aggravation is setting in. Freight Rates Suck with a dry van

Mike

I have fought and fought, and it looks like I might be falling below that magical $2/mile number this month. Not going down without a fight though. Seriously, rates are in the tank worse than I have seen them in a long time. This goes back to me monitoring rates leased to a carrier in 2013 to now. I think it is a short term situation as reefer is at it's deadest point of the year, which impacts dry van greatly, and I expect it to bounce back pretty soon.

That said, if your brokerage tried to stick it to me during this stretch, expect me to hold your feet to the fire for every penny when things bounce back. I've always played a fair game, and have now seen too many brokers that have dealt with on an individual basis hit me with rates that are absolute BS, when I know they are getting far more than they let on from the shipper.

I can count, one one hand, the brokers that didn't take advantage of this situation. For the rest, I will take every possible penny when the ball is back in my court in the near future. I hope all others do the same.

I have fought and fought, and it looks like I might be falling below that magical $2/mile number this month. Not going down without a fight though. Seriously, rates are in the tank worse than I have seen them in a long time. This goes back to me monitoring rates leased to a carrier in 2013 to now. I think it is a short term situation as reefer is at it's deadest point of the year, which impacts dry van greatly, and I expect it to bounce back pretty soon.

That said, if your brokerage tried to stick it to me during this stretch, expect me to hold your feet to the fire for every penny when things bounce back. I've always played a fair game, and have now seen too many brokers that have dealt with on an individual basis hit me with rates that are absolute BS, when I know they are getting far more than they let on from the shipper.

I can count, one one hand, the brokers that didn't take advantage of this situation. For the rest, I will take every possible penny when the ball is back in my court in the near future. I hope all others do the same.

You get Everything ya got coming and then some ...

rates should pickup April or May
several big outfits say
we`ll see
Hoping so. Container shipping is getting hit pretty hard at this point due to corona virus, and will only get worse over the next month or so.

Oil prices dropping now as well, because no demand to export, which means the oilfields could slow down and send even more trucks out here among the rest of is.

Could make for a great Summer though once this all sorts out!

You'd have better luck trying to thread a needle with a garden hose than getting truck drivers to unite in any effective numbers.
Cant even get drivers to agree on coffee

Not sure what's normal in the dry van nor reefer worlds but rates are always lower during the Winter for bulk and open deck work. Brokers get no favors from me though no matter what. It's like playing poker with them. If you give an inch they'll take you a mile. Many shippers will try lots of the same tactics. It's business the way I see it. You look out for yours no matter what. I've been diversifying into real estate lately. Trying to stack the deck in my favor and retire on passive income instead of dealing with the grimey nasty world of transportation. Too many crudballs from the Feds all the way down to the shops.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread