2019 579 Transmission Fault

Atvtrailrider

My 2019 579 with PACCAR drivetrain has been intermittently going into transmission fault mode when moving it around to docks. This is new since the last service? Seems to have to do with shifting before it completely stops? Anybody else have this issue?

My 2019 579 with PACCAR drivetrain has been intermittently going into transmission fault mode when moving it around to docks. This is new since the last service? Seems to have to do with shifting before it completely stops? Anybody else have this issue?
I can’t say I do and I have zero experience with PACCAR drive train. My Eaton auto in my 2018 will geek out usually when I start it and make it fault and not go into gear. Shit it off restart and it’s fine. I also have a Cummins engine so. Sorry wish I could be more help.

Have you found out what was causing it? I have a 2020 and itll go into trans fault randomly and peterbilt cant find out why.

Talking with a couple guys at the TMC shop they are replacing the trans harness and updating software and that seems to cure it.

If you have to have an autobox, why don't these companies simply go with the tried and true Allisons? They are bulletproof, light, can be used up to 2100 ft lbs of torque and can be had in a variety of ratios and speeds.

I was recently employed by a company that had both Eatons and Allisons. The Eatons were always OOS due to faults in the transmissions and software. The Allisons went merrily on with no issues. The only problem those trucks encountered were the junk Paccar engines. Like the Volvo engines they could get the EGR's to last over a few months.

If you have to have an autobox, why don't these companies simply go with the tried and true Allisons? They are bulletproof, light, can be used up to 2100 ft lbs of torque and can be had in a variety of ratios and speeds.

I was recently employed by a company that had both Eatons and Allisons. The Eatons were always OOS due to faults in the transmissions and software. The Allisons went merrily on with no issues. The only problem those trucks encountered were the junk Paccar engines. Like the Volvo engines they could get the EGR's to last over a few months.
They don’t want the weight of an actual automatic, you know the ones that actually work like they’re supposed to. So they go with an automated manual. That extra 300 pounds of freight they can put on the trailer cuts into the bottom line.

Three hours of the truck sitting in the shop for a simple reflash will lose more than 300 lbs of freight will make you.

I drove plenty of trucks with Allison’s in them in the army, I ain’t knocking them. But megas set the industry standards so automated manual it is.

My company specs the trucks for where they'll be running. Me? I'm a flatlander here in FL., so I don't get the big motor anymore. About 5 years back they decided that a flatland truck doesn't need a 550 and a 15. So, I get an itty-bitty four-fiddy and a ten. No dawg-a-matics, though.

If you are going to be realistic about things, you will never be management material. :D

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Managers are just scapegoats when the drivers screw up on the road.
I'd rather be alone in the truck in all honesty. I can talk to myself all day and never get a stupid answer. :rolllaugh:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Managers are just scapegoats when the drivers screw up on the road.
I'd rather be alone in the truck in all honesty. I can talk to myself all day and never get a stupid answer. :rolllaugh:
I talk to myself all day and get nothing BUT stupid answers.

That's because you ask yourself stupid questions. Waddayawant?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I missed the key wording in the sentence. That was 'ask'. Some days, I can't even be a smarta$$ correctly.
That's because you ask yourself stupid questions. Waddayawant?

It's fixed now. Care to answer again? :headscratch2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread