2017 Volvo VNL 780 - Loose Cable Near Alternator?

CWGriswold

I started looking over everything on this truck and discovered an unhooked cable laying up against some hoses between the alternator and the frame. It has a label that reads: "25111035, Rev. 11, KALAS MFG."

Any idea what is for and/or where it is supposed to be connected?

Attachments

Fins

Have you put a meter on it to see if it's hot or not? Maybe check the ohms on it to see if it's connected elsewhere.

CWGriswold

Not yet. I plan to try to trace out where it goes and to put a meter on it. Someone suggested that there may have been an alternator replacement / upgrade that included a new cable without removing the original cable.

Fins

Possible. Maybe trace that lead in your first pic to see maybe where it goes, if anywhere.

CWGriswold

This is well overdue: That loose cable connects to the left side of the engine block and is labeled "Engine Ground", but I don't see anywhere obvious that it was previously connected to.

I would assume that the engine is still being grounded elsewhere as I'm not getting any trouble codes or having any problems. Even so, I'm a little reluctant to ground it to the frame in fear of inducing problems.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)