New To Trucking Yet another "what company should I join?" thread

moonbeast32

Ok, so I thought I was going to work for Werner Enterprises. However, Life, the universe, and everything disagreed. So much has happened in these last few weeks, that I've had to keep cancelling and rescheduling my employment date. During that time, I've began to think deeply about my evaluation of them as a company, and how much I trust their recruiters.

So I'm starting to reconsider working for them. Now I understand that as a new driver, I should just bite the bullet and get training before worrying about the best place to work. Still, my obsessive personality compels me to aim for the absolutely perfect training company (if such a thing exists).

So my conditions are as follows:

I have a class A license, no restrictions, T, and X endorsements.

I live in the Salt Lake City area of Utah

I have no experience outside of the technical school I got my CDL at.

Single, no children.

Additionally, I have an uncanny fixation with the pacific northwest, so if any company has Canadian or inland Alaska accounts,that ends up being a major selling point to me from any prospective employer.

You see, I've been looking up a lot of forums/comments/reviews/blogs, and the most frustrating thing about job searching in this industry is that there never seems to be a consensus on any one thing. There seems to be an equal amount of people who hated working at any given company as there are who loved it. Does it all come down to preference?

Well then, here's my preferences:

a salary anywhere near 50 k per year,

respected and reputable training program

has accounts in Canada

Obeys and enforces laws, does not gamble with driver health and safety.

Ok, so I would like to know if anyone knows of a company that at least half fits my conditions and preferences. My threads typically get off track after the first 8 or so replies, so I would appreciate if some of you post suggestions quickly before that happens.

Otherwise, I'm going to resort to my final method of research: visiting the closest truck stops and speaking with the drivers there.

Yep... otherwise we end up with losers that think running illegally is a good idea, amongst other dumbazzery.
Ok. I can tell you two have it out for each other. Let's not get abrasive here, alright?

You guys make it sound like trucking is hard. Don’t scare the new guy. You seriously think he needs to run team or with a trainer after he’s gone to school? Don’t they teach you trucking at trucking school? :confused-96:
I concur. I went to a "school" because good old Service Ontario was willing to foot that bill but never had to deal with the hassle of living in someone else's truck. I ran with a local guy (separate trucks) for a week or two to get the idea how they wanted securement and tarping done but it was game on after that. Here, there are companies that will hire newer drivers and others that won't touch anyone under 2 or 3 years regardless of record. As @ironpony said it's all dictated by the insurance companies.

On the other hand, I will admit I don't have first hand knowledge of how starting out in the US works either.

Here, there are companies that will hire newer drivers and others that won't touch anyone under 2 or 3 years regardless of record. As @ironpony said it's all dictated by the insurance companies.

On the other hand, I will admit I don't have first hand knowledge of how starting out in the US works either.
That all depends on what generation of driver you are talking to.
There are the, they just threw me the keys and wished me good luck or the new generation of you must team with a senior driver 6 months exp.
Truthfully, Throwing the keys to a driver and wishing them luck was never a good idea!
I used to hear some hands on the radio say they never went to no school or nuthin'! Of course i would have to key up the mic and say, so, basically, driver what you are telling us is you are on the road with zero training what so ever?:rolllaugh:
I love radio silence!:thumbsup:

Exactly. I want a trainer to, well, train me. I want to talk with them, ask them questions, and hear their advice.

How would I be able to get all that if my trainer is asleep in the sleeper whenever I'm driving?
Some of the most priceless memories of that period for me started with...

"HEY FRANKIE! I got a problem!!"

:rolllaugh3:

You'll figure it out... that's part of the relationship. More important is the signal that you or trainer left the sleeper for a bathroom break while the on-duty driver is out of the truck - so you don't get left behind!

:roflmao:

:biggrin-2:

Some of the most priceless memories of that period for me started with...

"HEY FRANKIE! I got a problem!!"

:rolllaugh3:

You'll figure it out... that's part of the relationship. More important is the signal that you or trainer left the sleeper for a bathroom break while the on-duty driver is out of the truck - so you don't get left behind!

:roflmao:

:biggrin-2:
:rolllaugh3:I was actually eating dinner next to a driver waiting on his trainee to turn around and pick him up.
Trainees first solo flight and didn't even know it.:biglaugh:

That all depends on what generation of driver you are talking to.
There are the, they just threw me the keys and wished me good luck or the new generation of you must team with a senior driver 6 months exp.
Truthfully, Throwing the keys to a driver and wishing them luck was never a good idea!
I used to hear some hands on the radio say they never went to no school or nuthin'! Of course i would have to key up the mic and say, so, basically, driver what you are telling us is you are on the road with zero training what so ever?:rolllaugh:
I love radio silence!:thumbsup:
I got 2 or 3 days training. First time ever bumping a dock, proud as punch I nailed it, the trainer laughed his ass off because I didn’t open the doors first:biglaugh:

Then we hooked to a triaxle and went to load coils. I had a full rain suit with me, the other three drivers didn’t. Of course it rained cats and dogs. They laughed at them back at the yard that the rookie was the only one with rain gear. The trainer came in the next day with a new coat. By the third day I was solo with the triaxle, 60K on the deck.

Then it was time for a New York run, solo. 3 days of being babysat then I was OTR full time. Didn’t even know how to fuel the truck or where to park. So that’s how I learned to find hideyholes like **** shops and Walmart’s.

First week back I handed in logs, with no change of duty status locations written in. How the heck was I supposed to know to do that :biglaugh:

So some of the old timers taught me how to scribble a comic book and it was off to Florida. :yahoo:

The only mega company I see that has gets a huge negative reaction in this forum is CR England. I would avoid them simply based on that.

I think you would be fine with Werner, SWIFT, JB Hunt, Prime, TMC, or just about any of the bigger carriers to get started. Just plan on the training process that any of them use to be a bit aggravating, especially if you tend to pick things up quickly.

You want to be well educated in the decision, but at the same time, don't overthink it.

You already have your CDL, so get your training with any of the above carriers, and in 6 months to a year, evaluate them and decide if there are greener pastures at that point.

Then individuals who don't have the slightest idea of how to get into trucking in the US should refrain from making generalized statements about being "thrown the keys," and "training isn't needed."
Why even ****ing bother posting on any of the threads on this board?
I did clarify that the throw me the keys was from a long time ago. I have been on this board for 9 years now, you don't think in 9 ****ing years of reading that I don't know what needs to be done in the U.S. to get a trucking job?

I didn't think so either but the plural form of individuals was used and there are only two non U.S. members that posted to the thread.
You know, I always thought it was strange when I saw Canadians in the Fraser Valley adorning their cars and shirts with confederate flags. If you're not from the U.S., then how come you have a confederate flag as a profile avatar?

You know, I always thought it was strange when I saw Canadians in the Fraser Valley adorning their cars and shirts with confederate flags. If you're not from the U.S., then how come you have a confederate flag as a profile avatar?
I didn't know my profile pic indicated my heritage? Where I live is my citizenship.
I had no idea you lived in Canada for a brief time until you mentioned it.
You did of course notice it was not a confederate flag but, a maple leaf with the stars and bars.
To answer your question, it is just a big **** you to Government and more recently a big **** you to the fascist left that want to dictate what flag I can fly and what it means.

I didn't know my profile pic indicated my heritage? Where I live is my citizenship.
I had no idea you lived in Canada for a brief time until you mentioned it.
You did of course notice it was not a confederate flag but, a maple leaf with the stars and bars.
To answer your question, it is just a big **** you to Government and more recently a big **** you to the fascist left that want to dictate what flag I can fly and what it means.
Simmer down... yer THE RJ from Toronto! Not the rj from Hog Wash Mississippi.

:thumbsup:

And yeah, you ain't who I was referring to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread