Women in Trucking Group

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
I tried to join this group on FB. They deleted my request because somebody's kid might click on my name and find my (admittedly off-color) personal page. Well, I suppose that's fair enough. Many of my postings support Conservative ideas, the president and I do make rather liberal use of language that one would generally not use in polite company.

I have a friend who is (was?) a member of the group. She posted a link to that article in Truckers News about dealing with PTSD, thinking it might be good information to share with the group. It was immediately removed by their admins. Their reason: the pictures of the burned out truck might be upsetting to some of their members. My friend wasn't even allowed to post a comment referencing the article because somebody might Google it and see the offending pictures.

Are you ****ing kidding me? What the hell are they there for if their members aren't allowed to discuss the realities of this job?

This knitting circle's stated goal is to attract women to the trucking industry. Apparently, telling the truth about this job is against the rules because it might make somebody think twice about getting a CDL. They seem to believe it's fair to hand out rose colored glasses and set new drivers up for disappointment, shock and failure.

They are a recruitment tool for ATA carriers. They do not represent the best interests of real women in real trucks.

I tried to join this group on FB. They deleted my request because somebody's kid might click on my name and find my (admittedly off-color) personal page. Well, I suppose that's fair enough. Many of my postings support Conservative ideas, the president and I do make rather liberal use of language that one would generally not use in polite company.

I have a friend who is (was?) a member of the group. She posted a link to that article in Truckers News about dealing with PTSD, thinking it might be good information to share with the group. It was immediately removed by their admins. Their reason: the pictures of the burned out truck might be upsetting to some of their members. My friend wasn't even allowed to post a comment referencing the article because somebody might Google it and see the offending pictures.

Are you ****ing kidding me? What the hell are they there for if their members aren't allowed to discuss the realities of this job?

This knitting circle's stated goal is to attract women to the trucking industry. Apparently, telling the truth about this job is against the rules because it might make somebody think twice about getting a CDL. They seem to believe it's fair to hand out rose colored glasses and set new drivers up for disappointment, shock and failure.

They are a recruitment tool for ATA carriers. They do not represent the best interests of real women in real trucks.
well then, let them stay in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. since that is what thier reality really is.

The "proper genX version of life" is all wrapped up neat, sanitized of germs, is PC, and has absolutely no connection with reality. They're selling a view of life that doesn't exist... you, your views and what happened to you doesn't fit what they're selling. Its easier to delete you, and not give you a voice.

Maybe someone should start "Real Women in Trucking."

The "proper genX version of life" is all wrapped up neat, sanitized of germs, is PC, and has absolutely no connection with reality. They're selling a view of life that doesn't exist... you, your views and what happened to you doesn't fit what they're selling. Its easier to delete you, and not give you a voice.

Or more accurately, "women in real trucking."

It's in the planning stages now.

@Mike.. I think we might consider changing this section header "Women in Trucking" to something else. We don't need the association.

Maybe something like "She's Got the Wheel"

Wife is having the same issue with "open road girls" for motorcycle on Facebook. There's a couple of trucking groups the same.

Absolutely no accident links or comments.

One trucking page says it's because you never know what family member might find out from the Facebook page and be shocked.

Whatever........

@Mike.. I think we might consider changing this section header "Women in Trucking" to something else. We don't need the association.

I might consider that.

Funny thing is, we had that name here just before they became an organization. (both started in 2007)

On Saturday, they have a show on Sirius. Listened to them for the first time ever this past Saturday and realized that I likely cannot take anything they do seriously after that. The entire show was basically talking to some women in Australia and comparing their truck stops and trucking environment to ours, and basically bragging about how much better we were.

Going on and on and on about having hair dryers in the shower. Seriously, why would truck stops need to provide this? Buy your own!

They belittled the truck stops in Australia due to them having uncomfortable plastic chairs to sit in, basically not being inviting to truckers.

The companies that advertised during the WIT show bragged about how they had a higher percentage of women than the industry average, thinks to things like automated transmissions.

Women should be respected in this industry, no more or no less than anybody else. That show, or at least the episode I listened to, did nothing to help their cause. Lots of things particular to women that need to be focused on in the trucking industry, hair dryers and comfy chairs are not on this list.

Yeh, I don't want any affiliation with a group willing to cheapen the real concerns and experiences of women coming into this industry.

Been trying to think of a decent replacement for this forum name.

....something simple like Ladies on the Road

or Queen of the Road ...?

Some of their BOD are not the best representatives to be having.

One of them started going on and on about how drivers are unskilled workers and needed to change their image and lift themselves up.

Um. No, we are not considered unskilled labors. Social security and health and human services both consider us semi skilled mainly for death, retraining and medical benefits. Much like a carpenter, plumber, equipment operator and others like that.

IF you are killed or seriously injured in an accident and are suddenly eligible for benefits, they have to classify you correctly for the level of benefits you will receive.

What REALLY scared me about her, is she's on the BOD for the MN trucking association as well and is listed as the female owner of a 50+ trucking company.

My old boss at the bank specialized in hiring pretty women. Gary was the boss of some big banks in California. He noted that prospective commercial borrowers tended to warm up to pretty ladies who had commercial lending and technical skills, e.g. inventory control, accounting.

Thus Gary would have truncated your proposed group name to "She's got wheels."

BTW, he was never accused of crossing the line with any female employee. I was a high school classmate and that just wasn't his style then and 15 years later when we reconnected.

The latest FB post from my friend and 1-year trucker Lolly Symbol:

Had me a good cry first thing this morning as I drove on quite slick roads in a snow storm in the dark for the first time ever in a truck. Called my mentor Sean, who talked me through it. I made it & now next time it won’t be so bad.

A few hours later, I just entered a foggy area when a Carlile driver jumps on the radio to inform me that I’ll get out of the fog at about the 201, but it’s going to get pretty thick first. Moments later, I couldn’t see anything & thought ‘wow he wasn’t kidding’ but then I realized the ice fog had formed a sheet of ice on my windshield so I couldn’t see. The fog was thick, but more doable after i defrosted the windshield. 

As I’m approaching Nenana, a southbound rig calls out “that you Lolly” I responded & we had a conversation during which he asked if I finally got my nails done. (I guess I may have complained a bit about my nail salon being closed & then getting a crappy job somewhere else) I told him I did indeed & they are fabulous & even have sparkles. 🌟

I love that the other drivers are accepting me for who I am! They’ve all warmed up to me no problem!

Seems like that's the way it should be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread