why trucking?

smokestack

head of security
I see all the time in forums about someone who lost their present job and think trucking will be the financial answer to their prayers
and yet
if you google health care demand etc
it shows openings for all kinds of jobs
a lot of them are for operating one machine
MRI etc
I've been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes for the last years
with my parents and in laws
except for the RN's and doctors
doesn't seem like anyone else works very hard
especially nursing homes
and they are home every day
just sayin

Hey Sean. Are you the Al Sharpton of the forum now?
Finding racism where it doesn't exist?
You said you had a "non racist" use for the cartoon.
It was never used racially in the first place, and as the original poster, I resent the implication.
As hyper-sensitive as you are, I am truly surprised that you failed to realize the message of the drawing was directed at you.
There is an old adage concerning "beating a dead horse" and the skin color of the equine thrasher is irrevalent.

"Beating a dead horse" is akin to that other old saw about "running it in the ground"
Simply put, it is a reference to sensely covering the same topic over and over adinfinitum with no possible chance of a resolution.

But I suppose there is probably just as good a chance of that old horse coming back to life as there is of you ever shutting the hell up.

I suppose I'll have to make allowances for you being you (cajun too - ROFL); and rather than ask you who you are supposed to be on this forum, or make suggestions who who you seem to be, I'll direct you and cajun to post #15 on the "why trucking 2" thread to alert you to who originally started the racist thing. If you look at the post times and compare, I allow for the slim possibility a new light may shine in the little brain of yours. There is someone else you need to bitch at, and imagine you are putting in their place, not me. As for shutting the hell up, you should lead first by example before suggesting that to others.

Can we all see how the "let's jump on Sean McQuaid" mentality tends to cloud good judgement?

Pardon me all to hell for editing further, but I felt the need to assure you that I knew who the cartoon was directed to (I chose to not make a big issue about it much to your dismay), and I also know what beating a dead horse means. Duh.

You chose to get in the middle of my joking with Sinister - you flubbed up again and further deuched up this thread.

Damn I'm good, and you're not. Now this has been further proof on who douches up threads first, amazing how so many realize not what they do - LMAO.

View attachment 2585
View attachment 2585

Sweetie, the only thing I see is your kindergarten mentality. You jumped on MustangLX with your posts about something he had said to you about the snitch thing. You never mentioned any names, but anyone who reads knew. I am sure MustangLX didn't want to add to the fire of the flame war, which you did.
Just sayin
No hard feelings here.

Sweetie, the only thing I see is your kindergarten mentality. You jumped on MustangLX with your posts about something he had said to you about the snitch thing. You never mentioned any names, but anyone who reads knew. I am sure MustangLX didn't want to add to the fire of the flame war, which you did.
Just sayin
No hard feelings here.

Kindergarten mentality was uncalled for, especially when that runs rampant on this forum with others beside myself, and they never hear about it. Now maybe what I am seeing is the superior complexed and judgemental nature of you and others when this name calling occurs to suggest a lower mentality - sorry. Mustang said what he said, and I responded whether two wrongs make a right or not. Now I'm sorry for flaming on the buddies of others, but that's the way it goes. And given this forum is read by more than 10 times as many visitors as active members, I will not leave things unanswered. Mustang did not want to add to the flame war here, or on the other thread? Are you kidding? Had I not jumped on him about folks not liking a snitch, his post (#79) probably would not have happened. Don't use me as an example of kindergarten mentality when others purposly instigate it first. And those who get in between squabbles add to the flame war themselves.

Okay, those who choose to have no backbone and not defend themselves are the mature ones. Okay, I get it. Well where I come from, that's a wimp.

Now that I made my point (especially prior to your post), can we all dispense with further name calling, insults, inuendos, metaphors and any other whatevers? Or is that not kindergarten mentality? If the first sentance did not exist, I may have been nicer about my response, but I am not yet being alltogether mean either.

Okay, why trucking?

I did not call you any names, other than "sweetie". So sorry if you took offense to that.

Why truckin' ? Folks like you, lol.

Disclaimer (hopefully not needed)

I did not call you any names, other than "sweetie". So sorry if you took offense to that.

Why truckin' ? Folks like you, lol.

Disclaimer (hopefully not needed)

"Kindergarten mentality" is suggestive inuendo. Come on, don't suggest you did not mean it as such. I take you to be a tad smarter than that. Take that as a compliment.

Now what does folks like me mean? Another subliminal suggestive inuendo or metaphor? You either know not what you write (which I am inclined to doubt as you mention having more than 1 degree), or you think I do not have the intelligence to catch what you suggest (which I am inclined to believe).

OOOPPS, I am now in the realm of the paranoia.

Sorry to disagree. Given what I have seen, I am not suited for the trucking community.

Chocolate, popcorn and chairs anyone?

Sean, you don't have a chip on your shoulder, you have a boulder, my friend.

Look, I'm right about what I said above. You know it. And the boulder on my shoulder should be reason enough for people to quit playing with me. Some things get tiresome (yet I will not leave as I know some are trying to get me to do). So PLEASE, use some of the intelligence I give you credit for having and........

View attachment 2586
View attachment 2586

I'm looking for the "energizer" bunny. Sean, give it a rest, PLEASE.

If you don't want me answering, then don't post an inquiry! WTF! Is it me, or did I see a question mark in your post?!

Sorry if you don't like the way I answered. I've been taught well by many here on the forum - most notably Prodriver.

I can't wait to see Mustang's input to all this when he logs back in again - more material for him to study (he'll know what that means).

If you don't come up with the energizer bunny on the web, I'll find it for you.

I extend thanks to Mustang and Rebel for the cartoons I have acquired.

Sorry, I am not a nice person when I do not get my wheeties in the morning.

I just edited a tad as I know I was nasty, but too late, the forum updates have been mailed.

We all started out in our own way, and I started trucking to keep from starving. Didn't have to know much about backing up when pulling a coal bucket anyway.
I drove a 5 ton dump truck in the Combat Engineers in Viet-Nam. Continental engine, 5 speed transmission w/2 speed transfer case.
Piece of cake if it wasn't for getting shot at while I was trying to do my job.
I learned to lean over between the seats with my left hand on the lower part of the steering wheel.
I would rest the barrel of my M-16 on top of the driver's door and fire blindly.
Might as well, since I was driving blind anyway. But that was only when I was getting hit from the flank, which was often enough.
I kept a .45 that I could shoot out the passenger side if necessary.
Anyhow, after getting a couple of trucks shot out from under me, I somehow made it back more or less in one piece.
Went back to Fort Stewart, Georgia(known as camp swampy) to "de-compress" as was customary in those days.
Decompression was basically drinking beer and smoking pot, which proved to be a good way to wean off of herion.

After drawing my mustering out pay I headed home to Beavercrotch, Kentucky, which was so far up in the hills we called Hazard the big city.
I pretty much picked up where I left off at camp swampy until the money ran out and I figured I needed to get myself a job.
If nothing else, it was necessary to maintain my standing with the sweet little hillbilly gal I was staying with.
Time for daddy to bring home some bacon.
I didn't have any legitimate job skills, but I did notice these coal trucks running up and down the road.
I swore I'd never drive another dump truck, but I figured "how bad can it be?". At least there won't be anybody shooting at me.
Except Fanny Mae's pa if I don't do right by his daughter.

So I go down to Bobby Lee's Coal Transport and talk to the boss man.
Bobby Lee: Aint you Ricky Lee?
Me: Yes sir
Bobby Lee: I see you made it back from over yonder
Bobby Lee: So why are you here?
Me: I need a job
Bobby Lee: Can you drive a truck?
Bobby Lee: I don't need none
Me: Huh
Bobby Lee: One comes open, it's yours. Always glad to help a veteran. My great grandpappy was in the big one
Me: World War One?
Bobby Lee: Nah, War Between the States. Served under Stonewall Jackson
Me: A great American
Bobby Lee: Like I said, something comes open
Me: Any drivers you aint particularly fond of?
Bobby Lee: Well, I aint never liked that Jim Bob Lee feller. Never liked his daddy, Joe Bob Lee neither.

With that information, I formulated my plan. It was a Friday, which was payday, so I figured them boys would be down at the bar drinking store bought liguor instead of home squeezins.
There was only one bar in the county, just like that was the only trucking company in the county.
I taped up my hands real good. I started with a single layer of duct tape on each hand, and layed them flat on the table.
Then I got Fanny Mae to cover the area between the two rows of knuckles with pea size gravel.
Then I carefully raised my hands and she wrapped another layer of duct tape around, forming a gravel sandwich.
I hated doing that, but I heard ole Jim Bob Lee was a pretty good size boy. Most likely toting a knife too.
I wait until just after 11 PM, give 'em time to get good and drunk. I walk in there real casual like and order myself a draught beer.
Just sip on it and get the feel of the place. What we called recon over yonder.
I didn't get too many stares. By then, I'd been back long enough to blend in.
The bartender recognized me though.
"Aint you that feller what was over in Nam?"
"Yes sir, but I don't want nobody making no big deal about it. Just doing my duty." I told him.
I figured he had a shotgun under the counter and it didn't hurt to have at least one friend in here.
"Well that make you a great American in my book. Beer's on the house." He told me.
Then he pulled a book off the counter behind him that said "Great Americans" and wrote my name in it.
I figured it was time to make my move. The things a man will do for a job.

"Which one of yall is Jim Bob Lee?" I announced from the center of the room.
"Who wants to know?" came the reply from not the biggest man in the room, but close to it.
"Don't worry about who I am." I said, throwing all the bass in my voice I could muster. "I heard you was one sorryass SOB"
He gave me a hard stare for several seconds and then commenced to laughing like I had just told a spectacularly funny joke. All his buddies were laughing too.
"So tell me something I don't know." he replied when the laughter died down.
Oh, heck. I didn't count on this. Time to ramp it up some.
"I also heard you was a Yankee lover. Matter of fact, I heard you just might have some Yankee blood runnin' through your veins." That oughta do it.
Things got real quiet then. His buddies started looking at him instead of me.
Hmm, surprising development in my favor.
"Say it aint so Jim Bob." my new friend the bartender said. "I happen to know this feller here is a great American."
"Of course it aint so!" Jim Bob said, on the verge of tears. "Yall known me all my life."
I decided to roll with it.
"It's a damn shame I come home home from serving my country and can't find a job and this here Yankee fella has one." I bluffed. "And my great grandpappy served with Stonewall Jackson."
"He was a great American" the bartender said. "Got him right here in my book."
Jim Bob was crying now. Then he was charging towards me. Oh, crap, I thought as I braced myself for impact.
But he just ran right on by me and out the door. It got quiet again and everybody just looked confused.
Then one of them guys motioned me over to the bar and they started buying me drinks.

"Guess what I heard down to the beauty parlor this morning?" Fanny Mae asked me the following afternoon.
"What's that sweety pie?"
"Jim Bob Lee and his wife Jenny Lee packed up and moved outa town this mornin"
"You don't say. Reckon why?" I said.
"Weren't real clear. But you know, all these years, they said they was from Cleveland, Tennessee. Turns out it was Cleveland, Ohio."

Come Monday morning I moseyed on back down to Bobby Lee's Coal Transport and got me that job.

Mustang, this is great.

You need to submit this stuff to a publisher.

Seriously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread