Why are truck companies still training & hiring

HeyMan

Why are trucking companies still training drivers, that do not have CDL's, and hiring new drivers, when so many are being laid off? :wtf:

What is going on? :headscratch:

I am under the impression that the economy is in bad condition and getting worse! :sadbanana:

Can somebody help us understand this? :banghead:

Two things. There is still high turnover in the industry, and there are companies out there that ares still busy.

Even companies that are struggling have to deal with turnover, so they have to hire drivers to try and keep their freight delivered, or lose accounts.

Other companies, such as Schneider, are hiring heavily right now because they are taking on accounts that other companies are giving up.

Two things. There is still high turnover in the industry, and there are companies out there that ares still busy.

Even companies that are struggling have to deal with turnover, so they have to hire drivers to try and keep their freight delivered, or lose accounts.

Other companies, such as Schneider, are hiring heavily right now because they are taking on accounts that other companies are giving up.

:beep:

I got the part about the turn over from all my other investigation. Turn over, as I read it, is slowing down because of jobs being harder to get and so many people jumping into trucking. Not to mention al the drivers getting laid off. Oh, and bad economy means less shipped.

That's odd info about Schneider! Just a month ago I read they shut down all their schools, through out the whole country.

What about all the drivers loosing there jobs. Surely there would be a place for them before trainee's. All though I do believe many companies would rather have new guys who do not know what's going on; pay them cheap, and get them doing that team driving crap. While experienced drivers won't go for this. :thud: Could this be whats going on?

Thanks

any company that is hiring has their name out there. As for the experienced drivers, it is up to them to make themselves available to these companies.

I got the part about the turn over from all my other investigation. Turn over, as I read it, is slowing down because of jobs being harder to get and so many people jumping into trucking. Not to mention al the drivers getting laid off. Oh, and bad economy means less shipped.

That's odd info about Schneider! Just a month ago I read they shut down all their schools, through out the whole country.

What about all the drivers loosing there jobs. Surely there would be a place for them before trainee's. All though I do believe many companies would rather have new guys who do not know what's going on; pay them cheap, and get them doing that team driving crap. While experienced drivers won't go for this. :thud: Could this be whats going on?

Thanks

Another's eyes are opening up. Excellent observation and question. But it goes much deeper than just getting drivers to do the team gig.

Driver turn-around percentages have always been an issue in the trucking industry. But until the government got involved in the mid-80's with driver recruitment by subsidizing corporations which hired improperly trained drivers...the turn-around ratio had never exceeded 100%.

There is much evidence supporting the understanding our government is destroying the power O/O's wield ever since the '73 shut-down.
  • The Motor Carrier De-regulation of 1980: The misunderstanding with this piece of legislation is that O/O's and independents asked for this, when in fact it was the large trucking companies that lobbied for this action. This was the catylist that sparked the rate issues we've had ever since.
  • The subsidizing, and creation, of driving schools with completely inadequate systems to prevent drivers from being allowed to acquire a CDL without proper training. They literally pumped out recruits by the thousands.
  • The subsidizing of corporate trucking companies to hire these improperly trained recruits. Alliances were allowed between corporate trucking companies and driving schools. Leading up to allowing corporate trucking companies to actually own, or start their own, driving school. Which led to the injection of hundreds of thousands of improperly trained drivers behind the wheel of rigs.
  • The lowering of the age requirement. This has allowed thousands of young drivers which should never have been allowed to get behind the wheel of a rig in the first place. (I'm not saying a young man/woman isn't capable...but the majority of the improperly trained young drivers has led to major impacts within our trucking industry.)
  • De-commissioning of the ICC. The authority of this agency was di-sected and spread among several different agencies and departments. Creating not only more government, but confusion among truckers as to which agency held the authority to address specific issues. De-commissioning the ICC is the key catylist which has created the huge problem we have with brokers.
  • The latest detrimental action to our industry is DAC. This is an excellent idea and would be beneficial to our industry if utilized correctly. Instead it's being used to extricate drivers from the trucking industry. Drivers that think for themselves and question authority have major issues with DAC reports preventing them from acquiring a job with a company. Corporate trucking companies are being allowed to abuse this government initiated agency - effectively banning experienced truckers that think for themselves and question corporate actions regarding how they must perform.
  • The next step coming...if we don't get our heads out of our butts and do something...is speed limiters and EOBR's (black boxes.)
Driver recruitment, during this economic period, is mainly due to the large driver turn-around ratio...which is directly related to the actions of our government's involvement within our industry and the allowance of abuse to systems set-up by our government. It must be taken into account the fact that corporate trucking companies are preparing for the upswing of freight tonnage, which is inevitable, and their ability to have enough drivers to handle the tonnage. Hundreds of thousands of O/O's and independents have been driven into bankruptcy and closure, and this will have a huge impact on freight tonnage being covered when the upswing comes. Corporate trucking companies are very much aware of the trucking industry cycles and are building their fleets with mindless zombies that will do what they're told without question...preparing for the inevitable on-slaught of freight tonnage. If you think we have problems now with non-compliance...wait til the upswing of tonnage period comes and there are actually drivers doing what they're told in fear of losing their jobs and not being able to acquire another.

-ss-

Another's eyes are opening up. Excellent observation and question. But it goes much deeper than just getting drivers to do the team gig.

Driver turn-around percentages have always been an issue in the trucking industry. But until the government got involved in the mid-80's with driver recruitment by subsidizing corporations which hired improperly trained drivers...the turn-around ratio had never exceeded 100%.

There is much evidence supporting the understanding our government is destroying the power O/O's wield ever since the '73 shut-down.
  • The Motor Carrier De-regulation of 1980: The misunderstanding with this piece of legislation is that O/O's and independents asked for this, when in fact it was the large trucking companies that lobbied for this action. This was the catylist that sparked the rate issues we've had ever since.
  • The subsidizing, and creation, of driving schools with completely inadequate systems to prevent drivers from being allowed to acquire a CDL without proper training. They literally pumped out recruits by the thousands.
  • The subsidizing of corporate trucking companies to hire these improperly trained recruits. Alliances were allowed between corporate trucking companies and driving schools. Leading up to allowing corporate trucking companies to actually own, or start their own, driving school. Which led to the injection of hundreds of thousands of improperly trained drivers behind the wheel of rigs.
  • The lowering of the age requirement. This has allowed thousands of young drivers which should never have been allowed to get behind the wheel of a rig in the first place. (I'm not saying a young man/woman isn't capable...but the majority of the improperly trained young drivers has led to major impacts within our trucking industry.)
  • De-commissioning of the ICC. The authority of this agency was di-sected and spread among several different agencies and departments. Creating not only more government, but confusion among truckers as to which agency held the authority to address specific issues. De-commissioning the ICC is the key catylist which has created the huge problem we have with brokers.
  • The latest detrimental action to our industry is DAC. This is an excellent idea and would be beneficial to our industry if utilized correctly. Instead it's being used to extricate drivers from the trucking industry. Drivers that think for themselves and question authority have major issues with DAC reports preventing them from acquiring a job with a company. Corporate trucking companies are being allowed to abuse this government initiated agency - effectively banning experienced truckers that think for themselves and question corporate actions regarding how they must perform.
  • The next step coming...if we don't get our heads out of our butts and do something...is speed limiters and EOBR's (black boxes.)
Driver recruitment, during this economic period, is mainly due to the large driver turn-around ratio...which is directly related to the actions of our government's involvement within our industry and the allowance of abuse to systems set-up by our government. It must be taken into account the fact that corporate trucking companies are preparing for the upswing of freight tonnage, which is inevitable, and their ability to have enough drivers to handle the tonnage. Hundreds of thousands of O/O's and independents have been driven into bankruptcy and closure, and this will have a huge impact on freight tonnage being covered when the upswing comes. Corporate trucking companies are very much aware of the trucking industry cycles and are building their fleets with mindless zombies that will do what they're told without question...preparing for the inevitable on-slaught of freight tonnage. If you think we have problems now with non-compliance...wait til the upswing of tonnage period comes and there are actually drivers doing what they're told in fear of losing their jobs and not being able to acquire another.

-ss-

Ah, de-regulation, the 1980 De-regulation! :sweat:

De-regulation, a euphemism for, no law's for corporations, and at the same time regulate the heck out of citizen's. All of which gives more power to the corporation's and takes power away from citizen's. :thud:

De-Regulation is killing our country and it's citizen's. It seems De-Regulation has caused many problems, and crisis's. And even the collapse we have been, and are now, experiencing.

• The Savings and loan crisis
  • Milken and Bosky
  • Electric energy crisis, CA
  • Enron
  • Dot Com bubble
  • Sub prime loan crisis
  • Overall housing crisis
  • Banking crisis
  • Auto industry crisis.
Presently in play and developing credit crisis.

• Credit card crisis
  • Auto loan crisis

:stirpot:

You know I have asked myself that question many times and my dispatchers and ppl higher up. Noone wants to give me an answer.Companies not only lay drivers off but don't give the drivers working for them the miles.Instead they keep hireing and hireing.Does'nt make any since.But then again it's the trucking industry,it isn't spose to make since.

You know I have asked myself that question many times and my dispatchers and ppl higher up. Noone wants to give me an answer.Companies not only lay drivers off but don't give the drivers working for them the miles.Instead they keep hireing and hireing.Does'nt make any since.But then again it's the trucking industry,it isn't spose to make since.

LOL, :biglaugh:

It should make sense. It does seem as though there is chaos in the trucking industry. Chaos is the devil's work, a design intentionally to through you off.

As I sit here thinking about the industry, as I have read about it, it sounds to me as if the gov. and trucking have devised a method to keep people training, moving into the trucking industry, working at the lower pay, moving up in pay, then drivers are pushed out of the industry through unrealistic demands, and or moved into some other aspect of driving, l/o or o/o, and then again beat down from there. :eek:

Please don't hold me to every word. I know there are other aspects and variables. But this is basically how it goes.

When I was in construction, before construction was taken over by illegal aliens, we would be sent out to a job. We would work on the job for a while, then we would be sent back to the hall and another guy would be sent out. The guy would be put back on the list, collect unemployment, and when his name came up he'd go back out again. And so it went. This way everyone would get a shot at making some money. This is what I think is happening in in the trucking industry. It's a kinda fraud on the public. :banghead:

working at the lower pay
Right here is your answer

When I was in construction, before construction was taken over by illegal aliens, we would be sent out to a job. We would work on the job for a while, then we would be sent back to the hall and another guy would be sent out. The guy would be put back on the list, collect unemployment, and when his name came up he'd go back out again. And so it went. This way everyone would get a shot at making some money. This is what I think is happening in in the trucking industry. It's a kinda fraud on the public. :banghead:

Most big companies, that actually pay a driver pretty good wages will wait until that driver tops out. Then cut the miles back to where that driver does not make a whole lot of money.

They hire in a new driver to take up the slack at lower pay.

On a side note my company is still hiring drivers and training them. We have only ONE contract right now for 3 terminals to haul too. Something on the order of about 85 trucks to haul to one place that takes about 20 loads a day.

The reason I have been given they are still hiring is they want the trucks full for when spring rolls around. That is when we need about 1000+ trucks to handle our work load.

Right here is your answer

Most big companies, that actually pay a driver pretty good wages will wait until that driver tops out. Then cut the miles back to where that driver does not make a whole lot of money.

They hire in a new driver to take up the slack at lower pay.

On a side note my company is still hiring drivers and training them. We have only ONE contract right now for 3 terminals to haul too. Something on the order of about 85 trucks to haul to one place that takes about 20 loads a day.

The reason I have been given they are still hiring is they want the trucks full for when spring rolls around. That is when we need about 1000+ trucks to handle our work load.

In the stock market brokers had a way of ripping people off called churning. Keep people buying stock, giving them the mental suggestion the next buy will be better, they keep you going and going until you were broke or just said that's it no more. :nono:

What their kinda doing in the trucking industry is a kind of "churning" it sounds like to me. :banghead:

Why are trucking companies still training drivers, that do not have CDL's, and hiring new drivers, when so many are being laid off?

What is going on?

I am under the impression that the economy is in bad condition and getting worse!

Can somebody help us understand this?

Being a small fleet owner a few things come to mind, but the TOP REASON I believe companies are HIRING, and TRAINING?

TAX CUT
They dont CARE if the driver sit's for week's at a time after he is TRAINED and the company has sunk Moneys into them. Hell, Some companies are GRANTED * United States Funding* to train new drivers, IE: SWIFT, ENGLAND, WERNER, and a few others....

Is it RIGHT? umm... Hell no... the DRIVER or man is better off making PIZZAs at this stage of the Game....

They keep this up, its all going to blow up in their FACE... They are helping to KILL the Economy... because Those drivers they HIRE? If they SIT and dont run, their Bills get bigger and they are also loosing everything they own...

All in the HOPE that those companies will RUN THEM..... BULL CRAP......

My 2 worthless Cents,
OT :banghead:

Things like this REALLY disturbs me....

Being a small fleet owner a few things come to mind, but the TOP REASON I believe companies are HIRING, and TRAINING?

TAX CUT
They dont CARE if the driver sit's for week's at a time after he is TRAINED and the company has sunk Moneys into them. Hell, Some companies are GRANTED * United States Funding* to train new drivers, IE: SWIFT, ENGLAND, WERNER, and a few others....

Is it RIGHT? umm... Hell no... the DRIVER or man is better off making PIZZAs at this stage of the Game....

They keep this up, its all going to blow up in their FACE... They are helping to KILL the Economy... because Those drivers they HIRE? If they SIT and dont run, their Bills get bigger and they are also loosing everything they own...

All in the HOPE that those companies will RUN THEM..... BULL CRAP......

My 2 worthless Cents,
OT :banghead:

Things like this REALLY disturbs me....

"They don't care if a driver sits........... " :spend:

Just what I suspected!

I appears to me that government and corporations are in the business of selling FALSE HOPE to it's "SUBJECTS", citizens, legal aliens, and illegal aliens.

Your comment should have a special place located somewhere where people who are thinking about getting into truck driving, can read it.

Thanks

Thats just the WAY it is ....... NO LIES....... Just telling you the truth..... OUTRIGHT...

Thanks.

As I said I believe your comment should be placed were ALL those thinking about getting into driving would see it!

:cheers: to the truth.

This is a very important TRUTH that needs to be read.

Again thanks :tiphat:

thats what us my bf and i dumb founded with all these drivers let go in the past 2 months why would a company such as usa continue there class unless its due to the money the government gives them it makes no since to bring in new drivers and some of the new ones ive spoken to dont quite have the grasp what the trucking industry is but some of these new drivers claim they drove for schnieder and werner thats wat has us puzzld over and some of thenew drivers fresh from the trainers trucks and from the schools are put in brand new prostarsand kw then a month later we hav seen some and they have either totald a trailer or the whole tractor trailer rigs and what truely gets me if the trainer calls the company saying they must get the trainee off his truck as he will not stop texting when driving the company does nothing then a few times of pleading the trainer will either quit or in the case of a driver/ trainer was killed back in late june early july while the trainer decided to go to the bunk to call his wife and told her that he wouldnt be home because of the trainee and the company not listening the driver and his trainee died in tx this past summer so those of you whom give usa high praises think again for your safety just so u knw i may not b a driver as of yet but i do go on the road with my bf 35 days at a time so i do knw what im speaking of and am highly on your side

I appoligise for necro posting this thread but I am searching for info and after reading this I suddenly felt the need to appoligise to you veteran drivers. I had no idea...I am a student in CDL school right now. I did not know the situation was as bad here as many other markets.

If it is any consolation to you I think the school here in Jacksonville FL is doing a good job of weeding out the bad students. My class went from 20 to 12 in the first week. The class that graduated today was just 2.

I hope to be among the quality drivers list one day soon rather than someones inexperienced driver story.

You have nothing to be sorry for at all. You are looking for an opportunity to work, and you found it. That should be priority #1 or any person out there.

There are companies out there that are still hiring. While many companies have went under, and other companies have went on hiring freezes, there are still those out there actually building their freight business and needing more drivers.

I appoligise for necro posting this thread but I am searching for info and after reading this I suddenly felt the need to appoligise to you veteran drivers. I had no idea...I am a student in CDL school right now. I did not know the situation was as bad here as many other markets.

If it is any consolation to you I think the school here in Jacksonville FL is doing a good job of weeding out the bad students. My class went from 20 to 12 in the first week. The class that graduated today was just 2.

I hope to be among the quality drivers list one day soon rather than someones inexperienced driver story.

Driving is a cut throat industry...period. No need to apologize just go out there make money where you can and get on with who you can. What's experienced though? The other day I witnessed an older driver pass someone on the shoulder. To me I don't see a difference with experience and mistakes. The driver almost took put 3 cars and a truck. That right there is no more than a steering wheel holder. Don't be a steering wheel holder. Go out there, hold your head high and be professional, that's what is it about. Watch your self and look out for the fellow drivers no matter what they are pulling behind them. Do what you have to do to survive. Driving isn't just a job it's an adventure in a jungle with a lot of poisonous flowers in it if that makes sense.
The older veteran drivers, make more money and will be the first ones to go if the companies lays people off. So go out there, drive, and keep your mouth shut to the dispatcher if ya want loads and your job.

I think I pretty much put it all out there in a nutshell. If ya need to know anything more just ask on here. I'm sure you will get a straight answer.

Danielle

LoL, the schools now are telling the students to be all brown-nosish to the dispatchers...remember birthdays, anniversaries, get them flowers and shit.

I am generally a nice person but I am not buying them anything. I need my money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread