WHY SPEED

Now about the speeding, When loaded i do the speed limit because I do Wide Loads. In some states when doing a Wide Load they make the limit 5 under posted speed. Empty I cruise at the limit or 5 over.

Wow J.R. I am amazed at your reply. For someone who has been out here as long as you have I would think you would know better than encourage speeding. Especially with the many new drivers on here who read, and respect your posts. Do you really want to set that kind of example?

I have been an OTR driver for 24 years and have well over 2,000,000 miles without an accident or speeding ticket. Not because I "stay on the porch" as you said, but because I CHOOSE to set an example as a professional driver. We do not share the road with them, they share it with us! It is OUR office out here and if we don't lead by example, who will? Come on bro.... You know as well as I do that you gain NOTHING by speeding. Any time you think you gain today, you will lose the next time you get called to the back for a D.O.T. inspection that holds you for 2 hours. Who's chain are you yanking?????

We all have free will and if you want to blow the paint off of my doors, then by all means have fun, but remember that when you give me my paint back at the next truck stop, you only had it for about an extra 20 minutes. Was it worth it????

My toy will run as fast as yours, but if coming off of the porch means I have to lose my self respect, then I will stay up here where I have a good view of you wearing yourself out.

Sorry to be blunt, but since we have many new drivers who view this forum as a way of identifying what kind of trucker they should be, it needed to be said.

Be safe, and God bless......Shadox65

now every body has to no there limitations and its obvious we know what your limitations are , we turn and burn to make money and speed is a part of it the more you turn the more you earn. BUT i know your little toy wont run that fast and dont feel bad you will grow up some day, then you can come off the porch. J.R. HORTON

I hope this is meant in a humorous way.

now every body has to no there limitations and its obvious we know what your limitations are , we turn and burn to make money and speed is a part of it the more you turn the more you earn. BUT i know your little toy wont run that fast and dont feel bad you will grow up some day, then you can come off the porch. J.R. HORTON

DUDE, YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS. I READ ALOT OF YOUR POSTS AND I HAVE TO SAY THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I 100% DISAGREE WITH YOU ON.

Agreed!
And, considering that the speeding is usually in conjunction with some pretty heavy-duty tailgaiting .....even more poor judgment/professionalism. It makes for a dangerous situation for everyone.

YEP. IN THOSE VEHICLES IS SOMEBODIES FAMILY AND THEY WANT TO SEE THEM AGAIN. TAIL GATING IRRATATES ME AND IS UN CALLED FOR. NOTHING IS WORTH PUTTING YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE AND THAT IS WHAT DRIVERS ARE DOING BY TAIL GATING. IF YOU HIT THAT VEHICLE IN FRONT OF YOU, YOU WILL NEVER DRIVE AGAIN AND POSSIBLY GO TO JAIL FOR MANSLAUGHTER.

I don't think I want to grow up if means being more like you!!

THATS JUST FUNNY........

This needs to be closed.

CAN'T GO AROUND ON AN OPEN FORUM AND CLOSE EVERY THREAD JUST BECAUSE MEMBERS DISAGREE. THERE WOULD BE NO THREADS TO POST ON IF THIS WAS THE CASE. DOING SO WOULD TURN THIS PLACE INTO A COMMUNIST COMMUNITY.

I'm saddened to say the reality of even how truckers talk to one another has changed. For anyone to question whether we're encouraging others to speed is so far from this type of chatter, it's not funny.

I don't condone, nor encourage, speeding in populated areas. I've already stated this. But I do enjoy a good bs session...which is generally what trucker's do when discussing this type of topic.

All the rigs I've owned were triple digit trucks...wouldn't own anything but. I can also say the only people who have seen me strolling in the triple digits were truck drivers, and in the days gone past...those that did experience my fly-by didn't take offense, but rather jumped on the airwaves and hollered for me to leave their paint at the next stop with a chuckle. I don't speed in populated areas...I don't tailgate...haven't ever received any major violations. Does this make me a dangerous trucker? Well I guess according to the new generation worker (driver) it does.

Well here's a little info for those unaware. There is many state troopers out in the open road areas which will let ya go as fast as he's going as long as ya don't pass him. And I have many times followed one these good ol' boy's at well over what most of ya have ever experienced. Here's another little tidbit most probably are not aware of...there used to be no speed limits in most of the open road areas of our country. And this is were the statement "If ya can't run with the big dogs - stay on the porch" comes from.

Handling your rig is a responsibility. But strolling at high speeds does not make one an irresponsible person...as long as he's strolling in the right areas. There was a time not so long ago when trucker's strolled triple digit legally. Now, for some reason, we can't even have a bs session without being refered to as an irresponsible trucker. Go figure.

I don't mean any disrespect...but come'on...

-ss-

SS wrote;
<<" But strolling at high speeds does not make one an irresponsible person...as long as he's strolling in the right areas.">>

I whole heartily agree wit this statement, its full of truth.

I haven't been out there since the 80's, but back them being a chicken hauler from Arkansas usually the only way we could make our dock appointment on the west side was by strolling across the southern route. But you had, or at least needed to pick your places to let the hammer down. Across Texas from 10:00 PM to about 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM you could let it stroll and make some wonderful times. Usually you could do the same in new Mexico, I was a bit skittish of Arizona and California.

I enjoyed many nights running quite fast between Arkansas and California, most of the drivers I ran with were rightly safe drivers, of course once in a while you would get around someone who was a nut case at the steering wheel of his 18 wheeler.

I recall running across Texas on summer afternoon, I was just relaxing and easing along listening to music on may radio, seemed the tuck traffic was a big light, had my CB squelched down one of the few times I did this. After I had passed Van Horn some radio traffic started breaking my squelch on my CB. About 5 truck where coming up behind me. I started talking to them and when they passed I fell in behind them and we were strolling east in the east bound lane.

I can't recall what point it was but I got ahead of 3 of the truck drivers, them when we were coming down the long steep hill west of Toyah, TX we had caught a few slower cars. I was in the outside lane passing one car and glanced in my right mirror and saw a sight quite a sight. 2 of the trucks behind me where passing a car, one of right shoulder, on the outside lane, they were 3 abreast with the car between them.

I thought, Jerry, this is trouble, this will get me in trouble, drivers like this cause wrecks and I glanced back again and I see 3-18 wheeler 3 abreast and they were coming up on the last car I had passed.

I slowed down a bit thinking I've got to get away from these hands. After slowing down a bit they passed me single file, and I knew what I was going to do. Before we got to Toyah, TX I had my plan in place. I hollered at them and told them I would have to exit, I had a flat, I know they're running short of time so keep on trucking and I'll catch you down the road. I stopped and had coffee at the old Asphalt Cowboy and gave them plenty of time to get down the highway.

Yes, one can drive fast, but they can drive stupid, driving fast and stupid sure don't go together. I always enjoyed running with other drivers, but those who drive stupid, I always found a way to get away from them. They are the ones who give truck drivers a very bad name.

But all that said, with traffic being so much greater, the price of speeding tickets being much higher, and I understand at one time if you get 3 tickets in a certain length of time you can no longer drive. And its quite easy for them to keep up with you now that have the CDL's. And its near impossible to have 3 or 4 sets of drivers licenses as it was back in those days. So I would think the amount of time one can really stroll down the interstate highways has been reduced quite a bit.

Flintstone TheHasBeen

As I stated earlier. Speeding reflects poorly on all of us. It shows poor judgment, lack of professionalism, and paints the entire industry in a bad way.

Have you ever sat back and wondered what type of message you send when you blow the doors off that four wheeler you just passed? Like it or not, you represent the entire trucking industry when you're out there. Running over the speed limit isn't the way to favorably portray it, either.

We tend to be our own worst enemy in cases like this. And then we sit back and bitch and moan about how law enforcement is out to get us, DOT never cuts us a break, and the constant bad rap we get in the press. Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps we need to look in the mirror and fix ourselves before we're regulated right out of existance!

As I stated earlier. Speeding reflects poorly on all of us. It shows poor judgment, lack of professionalism, and paints the entire industry in a bad way.

Have you ever sat back and wondered what type of message you send when you blow the doors off that four wheeler you just passed? Like it or not, you represent the entire trucking industry when you're out there. Running over the speed limit isn't the way to favorably portray it, either.

We tend to be our own worst enemy in cases like this. And then we sit back and bitch and moan about how law enforcement is out to get us, DOT never cuts us a break, and the constant bad rap we get in the press. Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps we need to look in the mirror and fix ourselves before we're regulated right out of existance!

Need to take another look, bro. We're already being regulated out of existence...lol. I quess my point is not getting through. So I'll leave it as an ol' school'r usually does...I'll just politely tip my hat and say "Safe Trails and God Bless, brother."

-ss-

good mourning shadox65: now your absoloutly wright in your comments and in reality i dont drive that fast but i do love to crank. years ago now you could find me scalding the pavement but today there is just to much traffic to play and back in those days i hauled produce we had to make the time or lose money but thankfully im no longer in that business.
i do think it is amazing though how mad people get over a converation never could understand that but in fact people are people and they make all kinds and i must admit there have been times when i have done the same thing though i dididnt think much of myself for doing it. but i am guilty of it .
BUT that is not the case here i am mad at no one but i must admit a little surprised at all the comments on the subject but at any rate to each his on.
the best to all, drive safe J.R. HORTON

CAN'T GO AROUND ON AN OPEN FORUM AND CLOSE EVERY THREAD JUST BECAUSE MEMBERS DISAGREE. THERE WOULD BE NO THREADS TO POST ON IF THIS WAS THE CASE. DOING SO WOULD TURN THIS PLACE INTO A COMMUNIST COMMUNITY.[/QUOTE]

YOU TALKIN" TO ME?

woof
woof

woof
woof

You know most forums I visit consider a post like this as spam...does nothing for the thread.

Now to get back on topic here..

With fuel still "high" I don't see a need to speed. I have driven triple digit trucks also..out west.

But, where I run now it is to costly to speed, both in buying fuel, and the consequences you pay for speeding.

But, I am not one to look down upon anyone if they want to drive their truck that way. It is none of my concern, they have to deal with the consequences when it is time.

get big brother off our backs and we would not be pressured to put the hammer down to make up lost time ,we will never get it back .I take it U R driving in the US well its no better in Canada Im in BC and every time I turn around were being stoped for one thing or an outher time consuming time and money which we will never get back

You know most forums I visit consider a post like this as spam...does nothing for the thread.

Now to get back on topic here..

With fuel still "high" I don't see a need to speed. I have driven triple digit trucks also..out west.

But, where I run now it is to costly to speed, both in buying fuel, and the consequences you pay for speeding.

But, I am not one to look down upon anyone if they want to drive their truck that way. It is none of my concern, they have to deal with the consequences when it is time.

I'm sorry.
Me and my Rotti got up feeling extra ornery this morning so I thought I'd walk the dog with Cerb. Dogs love spam.
Anyway, no offense meant and none taken.:woohoo:

Raising the Illinois speed limit for truckers

Lawmakers revive push to hike truck speed limits

By Adriana Colindres and Erin Wood
GateHouse News Service
Thu Mar 12, 2009, 11:24 AM CDT

Springfield, Ill. -

State lawmakers are renewing their longtime push to boost the speed limit to 65 mph for large trucks traveling on Illinois’ rural interstates, an idea that former Gov. Rod Blagojevich vetoed three times.

With Blagojevich out of the picture, the proposal might stand a better chance of becoming law, said Rep. David Reis, R-Willow Hill.

New Gov. Pat Quinn hasn’t taken a position on the issue, spokeswoman Libby White said Wednesday.

Reis is sponsoring a bill in the Illinois House to raise the maximum speed for semi-trailer trucks from 55 mph to 65 mph in non-urban areas. If signed into law, the bill wouldn’t apply to Cook County or the five surrounding “collar” counties, and it wouldn’t apply on interstates with lower speed restrictions, such as I-74 through Peoria. More

View attachment 9436View attachment 9436

Excellant News!

Sorry, I thought I was starting a new thread for this topic? Not sure what happened View attachment 9437
View attachment 9437View attachment 9436

GateHouse News Service

Springfield, Ill. -

State lawmakers are renewing their longtime push to boost the speed limit to 65 mph for large trucks traveling on Illinois’ rural interstates, an idea that former Gov. Rod Blagojevich vetoed three times.

With Blagojevich out of the picture, the proposal might stand a better chance of becoming law, said Rep. David Reis, R-Willow Hill.

New Gov. Pat Quinn hasn’t taken a position on the issue, spokeswoman Libby White said Wednesday.

Reis is sponsoring a bill in the Illinois House to raise the maximum speed for semi-trailer trucks from 55 mph to 65 mph in non-urban areas. If signed into law, the bill wouldn’t apply to Cook County or the five surrounding “collar” counties, and it wouldn’t apply on interstates with lower speed restrictions, such as I-74 through Peoria. More

View attachment 9438View attachment 9438

Excellant News!

Sorry, I thought I was starting a new thread for this topic? Not sure what happened View attachment 9439
I hope it happens. I travel Illinois a lot.
View attachment 9439View attachment 9438

GateHouse News Service

Springfield, Ill. -

View attachment 9440View attachment 9440

Excellant News!

Sorry, I thought I was starting a new thread for this topic? Not sure what happened View attachment 9441

Well we all know too well about this yearly event...lol. Only, has the article states, with Blago gone...it just might happen this year.

Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime...lol.

-ss-
View attachment 9441View attachment 9440

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread