• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

What's with Roehl Transport? Spying and Forced Routing?

Mountainman7

Have Roehl on my list as one of my picks. Is it true that Roehl spies on their drivers with cams in the driver's cab? Also, do they route you through towns and back roads in order to force their route on you and won't allow what is quicker for you?

It's illegal to spy on you in the cab without your knowledge and consent.

It's not like when some douchebag records a phone call while in a state where it's legal such as, Minnesota, just for example.

This is a camera we're talking about & due to the fact the camera is pointed in the general direction of the sleeper, where one has a "reasonable expectation of privacy", it would be grounds for a huge lawsuit if you weren't informed about it before getting in the truck.

They will tell you about it during orientation and by completing orientation and getting in their truck, you're giving consent.

It's probably DriveCam. Another reason to avoid Roehl.

Have Roehl on my list as one of my picks. Is it true that Roehl spies on their drivers with cams in the driver's cab? Also, do they route you through towns and back roads in order to force their route on you and won't allow what is quicker for you?
Not sure about the validity but I've heard similar from a former Roehl driver...along with running them into Canada and keeping them there for an undetermined amount of time not to exceed the company policy of 18 days out, then home for 2.

It's not like when some douchebag records a phone call while in a state where it's legal such as, Minnesota, just for example.

This is a camera we're talking about & due to the fact the camera is pointed in the general direction of the sleeper, where one has a "reasonable expectation of privacy", it would be grounds for a huge lawsuit if you weren't informed about it before getting in the truck.)

They will tell you about it during orientation and by completing orientation and getting in their truck, you're giving consent.

Your inference to Minnesota leads one to believe secretly recording a call is legal in Minnesota.... Recording anything is your right...admissibility in court is a whole different ball game.

It's a new "efficiency" program that's making the rounds of the trucking companies. Our outfit bought into it last year and hasn't quite given up on it.

Ever since I started waaaay back, this kind of thing shows up like clockwork, causes chaos and then disappears. Then a year or so later it reappears with the new "management" types.... again and again and again. At one point they had "spotters" who would follow trucks around and report everything a driver did, Like a cheap spy flick.

The only difference now is that it's packaged as a "computer program", which automatically makes it sacred to the "smart folks".

We need to build an accurate list of companies using the drive cams
Monitoring that list would be a full time job for @Maria as I already eluded to the fact that companies are using the "Free Trial" period and then opting out.

Dispatchers have a propensity of needing to view .... And like pron... It gets old.

This is a camera we're talking about & due to the fact the camera is pointed in the general direction of the sleeper, where one has a "reasonable expectation of privacy", it would be grounds for a huge lawsuit if you weren't informed about it before getting in the truck.

Isn't it against the law to video tape someone when they are in the buff? HMMM?

We need to build an accurate list of companies using the drive cams
I can accept the company putting in a cam to record what goes on out in front of him on the road. However, one pointing in the cab to record incidents that may happen, NO NO, NO!!! Do not relinquish privacy for some security. How can a driver feel comfortable with a camera pointing at him while he is driving? That is just nonsense!!

Isn't it against the law to video tape someone when they are in the buff? HMMM?
Not if you have their consent.

There's an entire industry that wouldn't even exist if it was illegal even with consent.

And by getting in the truck after you've been told about the camera, you're giving consent.

If you don't consent, however, they fire you & say you're refusing to do your job.

So that's why you just immediately quit the second they say they're installing the camera.

Not sure about the validity but I've heard similar from a former Roehl driver...along with running them into Canada and keeping them there for an undetermined amount of time not to exceed the company policy of 18 days out, then home for 2.
There would be only two ways of accomplishing having their drivers out for too long by sending them to Canada. 1 They have no load returning to the U.S. Or 2. They have the drivers unload on one coast and deadhead them 2,000 miles to the other coast.
There is a third possibility, They are running Illegally in Canada and picking up and dropping loads with in Canada.

Your inference to Minnesota leads one to believe secretly recording a call is legal in Minnesota.... Recording anything is your right...admissibility in court is a whole different ball game.
In Oregon, phone calls may be recorded and are admissible in court as long as one party of the call knows it's being recorded. So if you call me and I'm recording the call without telling you, it's admissible because I know it's being recorded.

Regarding FORCED routing...

That may be a misunderstanding of the oversize loads Roehl pulls which are in fact routed a certain way.

OR

They could actually TELL you to go a certain way. I have seen companies do that. Their truck, their rules.

They could actually TELL you to go a certain way. I have seen companies do that. Their truck, their rules.
That is one hell of a heavy hand on the companies part.
I know I can save time, Fuel and wear and tear by taking certain routes, Certain times of the day. I am not sure I could work for a company calling all the shots from a safe uninformed distance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread