What you all think about the electronic logs (eobrs)

That is something that never ceases to amaze me....All of the "Holier that thou" EOBR lovers claim that guys like you and me are the reason for EOBRs and then say how much nicer it is to "run completely legal" now that they have EOBRs....

If they were running so "illegal" before they had EOBRs....Perhaps they, themselves are the reason that the government is trying to mandate them.

They also claim that, "It keeps the dispatcher from forcing them to drive "tired" or "illegal".....A brain and a set of "balls" might ought to be mandated instead of EOBRs.

DISCLAIMER:
Ladies....Before you get your panties in a bunch, I know plenty of women these days that have more "balls" than a lot of our modern day sissyfied men do.
So please don't start "screeching" about whatever it is that you might "screech" about over this because at the moment....I'm all out of ear plugs!

While I sit here I am just thinking about some HOS stuff. Okay I know there are guys out there that are up off duty for lets say 12 hours and then they decide to take a run, even though their E-logs are "legal" they are dead tired and now push the limit to make their load. They cause an accident but well they are technically compliant since their E-logs are all good. So they are legally allowed to be out of compliance. Yes I realize paper can do this too but we are talking about how E-logs are so much "safer" or force drivers to be more compliant. Well guess what they don't...

The way I run myself I hardly ever speed and I have yet to establish a pattern of non-compliance. So why should I have to run E-logs and EOBRs? Even drivers on E-logs can run compliant within the HOS but in reality they might have been awake for 15 hours prior to logging on duty for work. Now is that really compliant? E-logs are not going to make a driver safer than a driver running paper.

I use EOBR because I am required to.

Paper logged when the system went down.

Ya do whatcha gotta do. I don't like recording anything whether it be electronic or drawing lines but that's the rules. Gotta do it one way or another.

I didn't cause it, don't care who did. Just know I gotta do it and that's all there is to it. period. nuff said. over and out.

...could it be a tumor??

Well doesn't it suck to be you but thats not a reason to make me run em too.

While I sit here I am just thinking about some HOS stuff. Okay I know there are guys out there that are up off duty for lets say 12 hours and then they decide to take a run, even though their E-logs are "legal" they are dead tired and now push the limit to make their load. They cause an accident but well they are technically compliant since their E-logs are all good. So they are legally allowed to be out of compliance. Yes I realize paper can do this too but we are talking about how E-logs are so much "safer" or force drivers to be more compliant. Well guess what they don't...

The way I run myself I hardly ever speed and I have yet to establish a pattern of non-compliance. So why should I have to run E-logs and EOBRs? Even drivers on E-logs can run compliant within the HOS but in reality they might have been awake for 15 hours prior to logging on duty for work. Now is that really compliant? E-logs are not going to make a driver safer than a driver running paper.

You need to stop making sense.....You're gonna upset the "loons" that can't seem to see through all of the BS that the government is feeding them!

Well doesn't it suck to be you but thats not a reason to make me run em too.

Well now.. wouldn't it be nice if we could just walk into the DMV and tell 'em

"I won't run if I'm tired,

I promise to remain aware of my surroundings,

I will NOT use my cell phone while driving if I cannot remain focused on driving,

I will not speed or drive erratically under any circumstances,

I will not pull a load that is overweight"

and then they give you a green light to not record a single thing, drive your truactor as you see fit. No paper, No E-Log....

... just your word.

View attachment 16883
View attachment 16883

The use and potential mandate of EOBRs has nothing to do with safety. That's a false argument. It's about compliance. Period.

There is a difference between "safe" and "legal." It is entirely possible to be legal, but not safe. It is also entirely possible to be safe, but not legal. Been there, done that on both sides of that coin.

I am on EOBR now. Do I like it? Only in the respect it takes me less time to fill out my logs. Other than that, they have not changed how I run, the amount of real estate I cover or my pay. I don't like them for the simple reason I don't like having that extra set of eyes on me at all times.

Reactions: Tim
The use and potential mandate of EOBRs has nothing to do with safety. That's a false argument. It's about compliance. Period.

There is a difference between "safe" and "legal." It is entirely possible to be legal, but not safe. It is also entirely possible to be safe, but not legal. Been there, done that on both sides of that coin.

I am on EOBR now. Do I like it? Only in the respect it takes me less time to fill out my logs. Other than that, they have not changed how I run, the amount of real estate I cover or my pay. I don't like them for the simple reason I don't like having that extra set of eyes on me at all times.

Well said. I have been on Elog for almost 2 years and hasn't negatively affected me, revenue wise. I still run pretty much the same as I did before. As far as the "extra set of eyes", unless one messes up and causes the Elog to warn someone back at safety, no one is really watching. I have gone over 11 or 14 by up to 15 min, and haven't heard a peep from anyone. I still have to tell my travel agent once in a while whether I can take a load based on time. Overall, I like the Elog in that it saves a lot of time in keeping logs up to date, and I don't have to worry about those little goofy things like failing to sign a log or forgetting to put something like tractor or trailer number on the log. All of which will do you no favors if you are checked by some DOT. I can download all the logs to my laptop each month, quarter or whenever and store them for tax purposes. And no one tells me when to run. I decide which load I will take, when I will come off of a break, when I will start a break, when I will take an afternoon nap if I need to, etc. Elogs haven't changed any of that for me. I will decide the best route for me and how I will run to get the load where it needs to be. And I decide when I take the run, when it can be delivered. After over 3 decades at this game, no youngster in a dispatch office is going to tell me how to do my job. It is my truck, it is my safety, it is my choice. And with my safety record, I can pull the truck and go elsewhere or on my own if it came to that. I usually have my next load already planned and booked before I get the one I have off. And I do know how to get rest when I need to, to be ready for a run.

True, it has nothing to do with safety. It is no different of a government game than cigarettes. They holler about quitting smoking, just so they can justify increasing the cigarette tax, when if they were serious about health, they could just ban the product. Elogs are no different. They just use the safety game to justify a way to monitor compliance. But, there is always a positive, if one takes the time to step back and look at the situation. It can be a real plus if one gets in a situation where some aggressive lawyer wants to dissect your logs for the last 6 months in a court case. Elogs take one more tool away from knotheads like that. Those same lawyers can track cellphone tower hits and a lot of other stuff to take down someone using paper logs. So Elogs are not all that bad. Regardless of whether I or anyone else likes using Elogs, I am dead set against government mandates. Just like I am against about 95% of what government does.

I ran e-logs for about a year & never once put the load information on that page. I thought e-logs were exempt from that meaningless crap since the load information is already on the damn Qualcomm anyway. I still refuse to do it, simply because the touch-screen interface totally SUCKS and makes it a pain in the ass that ain't worth the headache.

Its actually against the law.

If it were allowed, sure bet things would really be screwed up for everyone then. It would be time to quit and say it was fun while it lasted. Both regulations from government, and a truckers union for independents. Man, that is a nightmare just thinking about it.

E-logs aren't the savior of the industry. They do still allow you to drive tired. What they discourage is a driver driving after 14 hours on the job.

I see this as a good thing. I remember using 2 and sometimes 3 books in a week to "get the job done". Was I safe? Hell no, but I was bullet proof. My best 8 days, at a popular meat hauling outfit, I turned 8200 miles. (Single). I was a zombie when I got done and slept for 2 days straight. That happened fairly often because most young people just don't think as responsibly as thy should.

Would I do 8200 miles in a week now? Hell no, and I run team.

Laugh if you want, the early '90s were fun at National Carriers. Back in those days, drivers were drivers and the wheel holders knew to stay in the right lane. We did some pretty stupid things with the help of some pretty dangerous substances. But we made it through and know better now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread