What Was Your First Car?

Racer X 69

So what did you get for the first car when you started driving? Many of us had to get a job and earn the money to buy our first ride, others drive the family bomber until mom and dad give us a car for graduation.

My first car was one that I had to buy with my own money, as my folks were close to poor and made it clear that if I wanted to drive I would have to get it done on my own.

So my first ride was a 1962 Impala Wagon. Cragar SS wheels, big 'n' littles, air shocks to keep the fenders off of the tires, a 283 with a power glide, headers and glasspacks. It was kinda like this one, but not as sweet:

View attachment 12928

Having a wagon for my first ride gave me an affinity for them, and I have had several since, and currently have a Subaru Legacy wagon.

0115aMountLoopDrive.jpg

The Impala has long ago had a date with the crusher, and who knows, it may even be reincarnated into the Subie! ;)
View attachment 12928

1964 Plymouth Belvidere.Slant six,push button tranny,obligatory primer spots and a teenaged jackass behind the wheel with "Fair Warning" cranked to 11.
"Lord,strike that poor boy down........."

First car I owned was a gold Pontiac compliments of my dad.Blew the tranny when I got stuck high centered in mud.First car I ever drove was the family red station wagon.Totaled that when I wanted to play adult and drove that while drunk.Yes I drank long before I was of age.Once I turned the legal age it was'nt no fun anymore,LOL.I was 14.

old amc classic only had am radio but it had an 8 track player.

53 chevy pickup. bought it from my uncle. i worked for him all summer and fall to pay for it. me and my sister painted it bright red with enamel house paint. we used a brush to put it on with. it didnt look too bad from a distance.......quite a distance. lol.

View attachment 329866 Plymouth baracuda 273 V8 auto on the floor and green house rear window!!!! fun ride hehehe

PS AM stereo

I had one of those, but, mine was a '67 coupe... It wasn't my first. It was waaaaay down the list, but seeing your post reminded me. Sweet car.

My first ride was a '66 Sunbeam Tiger. I had no clue the significance of this car. I just knew it was a V8 two-seater rag top that was way cheaper than a Vette. I didn't keep it long 'cause I found that a land yacht with a back seat as big as my living room was more fun than driving fast on date nights.

This is not a pic of my Tiger, but, it was identical. I acquired it in '69, so, it was still in great shape. One of many I should have kept.
View attachment 12930
View attachment 12930

2xR that looks kinda like a Triumph TR6. Zippy lil bastards!

Mine was a '77 Monte Carlo. 305 V8. More room in the front seat than the back. Bottom of the doors were all rusted out so when you slammed them closed (and you had to slam them) they went KA CHUGGA. I think those doors weighed about 1000 pounds each.

Also, mine didn't have that hideous Landau roof that looked like a receding hairline. It was a hard top. Sort of a metallic cranberry red, which is my favorite color on a vehicle to this day.

I think I drove it a year and a half, when it developed a rod knock, and I parked it behind a girlfriends house, and her mom gave me this pile of crap toyota celica hatchback thing, because I was leaving for the Marines that summer.

I had no money ever, so I usually didn't even have insurance, ran illegal plates, and tried my best to hide the long past due New York State inspection sticker. Town cops didn't really care. State Troopers have no sense of humor.

Almost exactly like this one.

I had one of those, but, mine was a '67 coupe... It wasn't my first. It was waaaaay down the list, but seeing your post reminded me. Sweet car.

My first ride was a '66 Sunbeam Tiger. I had no clue the significance of this car. I just knew it was a V8 two-seater rag top that was way cheaper than a Vette. I didn't keep it long 'cause I found that a land yacht with a back seat as big as my living room was more fun than driving fast on date nights.

This is not a pic of my Tiger, but, it was identical. I acquired it in '69, so, it was still in great shape. One of many I should have kept.
View attachment 12931

Hey that car in the pic has Washington plates. And yep, you shoulda kept that little bugger. Do you know what they fetch these days? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oh, and forget the big back seat, I read in Play Boy magazine once, (yes I actually read some of the stuff in those things!) that the steering wheel of a '57 Vette rubbed against the lumbar region of a woman's back was the very best aphrodisiac. Nothing better. And once you got her motor running, it didn't matter how small the space was.
View attachment 12931

Mine was a '77 Monte Carlo. 305 V8. More room in the front seat than the back. Bottom of the doors were all rusted out so when you slammed them closed (and you had to slam them) they went KA CHUGGA. I think those doors weighed about 1000 pounds each.

When I worked in a body shop I had to replace door hinges on one of those boats. I can vouch for how heavy the friggen doors are. And when you are slammin' one, there best not be any fingers in the way!

Learned to drive in a Chrysler, got my first DL in a Ford LTD (sitting on a pillow to see over the steering wheel, making it a restriction on my DL), and my very own first car was a Chevy Impala.

And once you got her motor running, it didn't matter how small the space was.

best thing for "working to git the motor running" was/is a 441 BSA single... just give 'em a ride... and when they tense up and then relax... You've found the correct RPM...:tiphat:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread