What is the worst State for Truck Drivers to drive in?

Other than Rhode Island, I would have to say DC. It's not a state, but it's a miserable place to have to traverse. I wish there was a real way around it...other than the Beltway.

Other than Rhode Island, I would have to say DC. It's not a state, but it's a miserable place to have to traverse. I wish there was a real way around it...other than the Beltway.

One time I was going from Joizey to somewhere in northeast NC, and I got off in Wilmington, DE & ran that highway that goes down through Delaware, goes over & under & over & under the ocean, into Norfolk & ran some 2-lane road from Sussex. No DC along that route. There were tolls though.

One time I was going from Joizey to somewhere in northeast NC, and I got off in Wilmington, DE & ran that highway that goes down through Delaware, goes over & under & over & under the ocean, into Norfolk & ran some 2-lane road from Sussex. No DC along that route. There were tolls though.

Route 1, 13,and or 113. 113 from Dover to Pokomoke is the better ride, less towns, and if you need to go around a scale you can pick up Rt 12, outside Snow Hill Md, will take you to 175, turn right and that will drop you back on 13, just south of the New Church Scale house. (Dont ask how I know). Sometimes it just helps to know this.

Route 1, 13,and or 113. 113 from Dover to Pokomoke is the better ride, less towns, and if you need to go around a scale you can pick up Rt 12, outside Snow Hill Md, will take you to 175, turn right and that will drop you back on 13, just south of the New Church Scale house. (Dont ask how I know). Sometimes it just helps to know this.

I've been to Pokemon City a bunch of times, but I didn't remember the route numbers. Thanks.

This

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

In 6 years OTR, I never drove in RI. Anytime I was going to New England, I drove up through CT and MA instead.

My least favorite state has always been NJ. Some of the rural areas aren't too shabby, but there are so many restrictions, lousy road conditions (the turnike looked like it had been the target of an air raid) and of course, traffic. Add in a shortage of truck stops (one of my biggest pet peeves) and my dislike is secure.

Northern NJ is at the top of my list. You can never retrace your steps going anywhere in a truck. Even going near Atlantic City is tricky. I had a run to Cape May last week and took route 9 south the entire way there from AC thinking the GSP (Garden State Parkway) was still restricted for that far south smh. I'm in CT today by the coast of Long Island sound in Branford and I must say I'm not a fan of this shit either smh.

Upstate NY is rough because the height restriction signs will fool you if you don't know better. I was born/raised in NYC so I know what/where to avoid thank God. And yes the L.I.E. (495) is terrible. I've only noticed one rest stop going out past Commack, NY. ONE. And being that I do Dollar Tree and often pick up backhauls out that way, its a mess tryna find a spot to park overnight (unless it's at a store that you can remember)

Pittsburgh sucks monkeys balls to drive a truck through. I go there at least twice a month and always take the PA turnpike instead of US-22 from Altoona, PA. That section of 22 is a death trap in the winter.

Haven't been further south than MD or DE so far but I'm sure I will soon enough.

Oh yeah....Mass sucks too, AND New Hampshire. Too many little windy roads with short speed limits to cover any real distance. I went to two stores up there other day....from one store to the next it was about 43 miles....took me nearly an hr and a half to cover that distance smh. They need more expressways in that state, and WAY more truck stops.

PA (other than Philly, Pittsburgh) is one of the easiest to drive thru from my short experience. I've only really driven thru OH thru the Cleveland corner of the state with my trainer (where he lives). I've still yet to drive in VT.

Oh yeah....Mass sucks too, AND New Hampshire.
Might as well just say the entire northeast sucks.

Haven't been further south than MD or DE so far but I'm sure I will soon enough.

Washington DC is a crap-hole too. There's this little meat packing plant about 5 blocks northeast of the White House that I've delivered to a few times. In addition to the overwhelming aura of evil in the area as you approach Satan's ten-mile square, just getting into that place is a bitch. Tandems all the way forward, .. if you're lucky you can pull in off the street when you arrive. Pull in, then turn to the left. Make a few pull-ups til your trailer is over far enough to back straight up through a slalom course of idiotically parked 2 axle box trucks to get to the dock. Leaving is easy though, as long as the aforementioned box trucks stay the hell out of the way.

Sent from my LYT-Y465245245GRS version 19.865.833. build #231635145134 using Firefox version 21.237.856

Just a note for the newbies......when in NYC...STAY OFF THE PARKWAYS. STICK TO THE EXPRESSWAYS ONLY!!! Follow truck routes or thoroughfares or whatever you call them. If you're from NYC and are new, this is a common mistake guys make lol. Don't be the one!

- Prime

I will say the Northeast will make you either sink or swim. I can't believe how much better a driver doing this account has made me. When I see a dock its like Christmas time. I can't stand arriving at a store, seeing a loading dock on two sides, and the actual store has some crooked door in an alleyway RIGHT IN THE ****ING MIDDLE. :mad:

CT has some rough bridge law violation areas. When coming thru there ALWAYS get your tandem at 41'. You'll be about $400-700 richer. (You can tell I've been warned lol)

Mine has to be north Joisey, as in Newark. Was up there last week, not a fun place to be, load pu was at 1600 on friday, and this place was too tight for anything. Road leading in to shipper was barely wide enough to get thru, pull up to guard shack, guard said u gonna have to wait for the other truck to get loaded, I said ok where do i park? guard said not in driveway, and no room in front of docks (2 of them). Had to sit in exit and move when ever 4 wheeler needed to leave. Instructions on Qualcomm said "before going into Newark, and shipper, stop and move tandems full foreward, and get 5 gallon bucket of Vaseline".

Mine has to be north Joisey, as in Newark. Was up there last week, not a fun place to be, load pu was at 1600 on friday, and this place was too tight for anything. Road leading in to shipper was barely wide enough to get thru, pull up to guard shack, guard said u gonna have to wait for the other truck to get loaded, I said ok where do i park? guard said not in driveway, and no room in front of docks (2 of them). Had to sit in exit and move when ever 4 wheeler needed to leave. Instructions on Qualcomm said "before going into Newark, and shipper, stop and move tandems full foreward, and get 5 gallon bucket of Vaseline".
There's some place in Newark or around there somewhere (all the same city if ya ask me) where you have to go in the back & do one of those hose-stretching, tire-bending zero radius turns and then hit the dock on your way out, and try not to run over any of the (apparently blind) Mexicans who work there and are perpetually on their lunch break. I don't like that place. Takes about 6 hours.

There's some place in Newark or around there somewhere (all the same city if ya ask me) where you have to go in the back & do one of those hose-stretching, tire-bending zero radius turns and then hit the dock on your way out, and try not to run over any of the (apparently blind) Mexicans who work there and are perpetually on their lunch break. I don't like that place. Takes about 6 hours.

yeah, this place is simular, u go in gate, do one of those hose stretching right turns go back out the in gate and try to back and get your trailer pointed in the right direction, without taking out the guard shack and mexican sitting in it. Right next to 21 s.

Lmao there's this spot in Long Island that I've picked up paper towels twice now. Not a bad location for turning but the directions given to me sucked. All they had to say was take exit 52 off the L.I.E. But yea fhe MF'n mexicans there can't hardly speak a lick of English....but can articulate in a number of words that they want you to back up to their dock perfectly so they can use their dock plates.........

I selected "other'. The worst state for a driver to operate a commercial vehicle in is a state of intoxication. Also, my choice was not listed.... Indiana. Roads are horrible and LEO's will write a ticket for sneezing in a truck almost.

In 6 years OTR, I never drove in RI. Anytime I was going to New England, I drove up through CT and MA instead.

My least favorite state has always been NJ. Some of the rural areas aren't too shabby, but there are so many restrictions, lousy road conditions (the turnike looked like it had been the target of an air raid) and of course, traffic. Add in a shortage of truck stops (one of my biggest pet peeves) and my dislike is secure.
Lack of Truckstops or parking of any kind was my biggest complaint about Long Island, traffic was so bad on The BQE by the time you get to your delivery they would be closed and unless you wanted to drive back to the Lombardi and start all over again the next day, you had to drive out 495 to the only rest stop on the Island. at least thats the way it was back in '04 - '05.

New Jersey I didnt mind to much, they did have plenty of parking along the Pike and on 295, I had a lot of regular drops from Egg Harbor to Teaneck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread