What are the typical rates for carriers?

ladyloadmover

I'm a newbie, about to start as a freight broker agent, and I've read a lot about how drivers don't think they get paid enough. Is there a going rate for certain kinds of trucks or merchandise? Is there any kind of reference available? Are there any minimums, or do carriers just decide for themselves how much they're willing to accept?

Good topic for discussion.

When I was dispatching I dealt with pretty good brokers, and rates for a given thing were pretty much standard. Sometimes I had to try to squeeze more money out of them, and that got sticky. I would hear things like

"Awww man, that's all I got in this load" or "That's the best I can do."

...when the previous week the very same very busy very forgetful broker got me more money without even blinking.

As a broker, just remember that dependable, repeat carriers can make a HUGE difference in your income as they will seek you and your loads out time and again.

Keep us posted. I've been interested in brokering for some time.

*Anyone using this thread to bitch about how much they hate brokers will be beaten. *

Well. if you don't offer enough money for the load, nobody will haul it and your customers will lose your phone number, If you pay to much, then you won't make any money, I have dealt with a lot of brokers over the years some good, most though are about on the same level as injury lawyers and used car salesman. Brokers are a necessary evil and I think maybe more so in the future as these big companies start cutting more of their sales staff and rely on outside agents

Some brokers take up to a 20% cut, depending on different variables, the honest ones will keep his rates low and steady around 7 to 10%, some have been known to hold bidding contest for the load, just how low will you run it for type thing, I have known brokers to have two or three drivers on the phone for the same load and that is where the dishonest broker starts robbing the drivers. Word gets out though, for example a broker we used here (Pembroke transportation) was caught doing that. Us driver were all from around here that hauled for him, we always picked up out of the same two aluminum factories going to mostly the same customers, it doesn't take long to get to know everybody and when the numbers start getting compared and found to be different for the same loads, some drivers can get upset,

I'm also a real estate agent. When I list properties for sale, I can lookup what similar properties have been selling for, and determine a price range that way. That's why I asked about a reference. So I guess the best way is to ask shippers and drivers.

By the way, I really like this board.

I don't know how many brokers are going to share info with you, scared of getting their customers stolen, you are a real estate agent you know how protective the agents are of their leads and numbers. If you can get on a companies load board via one of their drivers like Landstar or Mercer, that will give you an idea of rates, I have some old Landstar loads that show everything, but the rates are way out of date so they would not do much good

Maybe you should decide what is "fair" for your cut?? (and stick to it) And give the rest to the truck. Making phone calls and posting the loads on the boards should be worth at least $100.00 for a couple hours work?? Versus the $1.00 or $2.00 a mile the rest of the brokers take. Dont you think? I have my own authority, permits, get my own loads, I'ld be happy to give up 20% of a load to a broker! If you're paying a truck under $1.40 mile, its not enough! Very few loads pay that or more, even landstar and mercer, 99% of their loads pay $1 or LESS per mile.
Bottom line, if you want "steady" good, returning, o/o's, trucks, companies, dont try and retire this year on broker fees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread