Load Boards - What are you using and what are you spending?

Mike

The big boys are obviously truckstop.com and DAT. Both have compatible features, sole overlapping and some different. Both have an option to use promiles for routing and fuel purchases.

After these two, there are cheaper options and free options.

So, what is your monthly budget on these things, and which ones are you using?

Truckstop and $149.

Pretty much all the bells and whistles. Considering adding its dispatch too for another $50/ month.

I had Truckers Edge. For a while I tried their 360. It was salty but it got me a few good loads when I was a little jammed up. It's real time with no delay. It was 250 then maybe it's cheaper or probably better options now.

I also used CHs board and Landstars board. After a while though I pretty much quit doing any loads for Landstar.

More for admin side of things. Streamline how bills are submitted etc.

With an accounting clerk and a dispatcher in the mix, it's one location for that side to work on things.

More for admin side of things. Streamline how bills are submitted etc.

With an accounting clerk and a dispatcher in the mix, it's one location for that side to work on things.

Makes sense then, if it will make their part easier.

I get by with the basic package from DAT. Not sure of the advantages, but dispatch from Truckstop could be helpful. I felt DAT had better rates in general when I had both Truckstop and DAT to compare. I think free apps with free 'bells and whistles' will get caught on and be main stream, but so far I am not impressed with Convoy or other 'free' apps. (123 load, Landstar, etc. I got rid of all my free apps)

I get by with the basic package from DAT. Not sure of the advantages, but dispatch from Truckstop could be helpful. I felt DAT had better rates in general when I had both Truckstop and DAT to compare. I think free apps with free 'bells and whistles' will get caught on and be main stream, but so far I am not impressed with Convoy or other 'free' apps. (123 load, Landstar, etc. I got rid of all my free apps)

Are you a member of OOIDA? If so, make sure you use the discount.

I signed up for DAT Power. $149/month, but I get some free time with it while I learn it. Very simple to use, and tons of features. My next step with it will be to start doing the onboarding process with it to get carrier packets going with as many broker as I can through the system.

2nd, I signed up with Uber Freight. Their carrier packet was all done via the phone, including electronic signatures. Took about 5 minutes to get my info completely entered and send them my proof of insurance. They said I should be active with them either Tomorrow or Monday. (Authority showing to be insured might delay this).

3rd, I am signing up with Convoy. Another app based load board like Uber Freight, where the rates are all listed and you can just click and get a load, or you can counter offer with a different rate.

That's my starting point.

I think you made a good choice. I like the real time, I think it's worth some extra money. I posted before, that feature got me out of a couple jams because I was the first caller. Seems like the price has come down and there's more features than what was available when I had it. I was paying 250 I think.

My next step with it will be to start doing the onboarding process with it to get carrier packets going with as many broker as I can through the system.

I'm not familiar with the onboarding process. Do you upload your insurance and W-9 for the broker to print out?

I think you made a good choice. I like the real time, I think it's worth some extra money. I posted before, that feature got me out of a couple jams because I was the first caller. Seems like the price has come down and there's more features than what was available when I had it. I was paying 250 I think.

I'm not familiar with the onboarding process. Do you upload your insurance and W-9 for the broker to print out?
Not sure on the onboarding yet. Can't start the process until my mc# gets updated.

When you sign up with a broker, you provide certain information.
W9
Certificate of insurance
Credit references
Equipment
Preferred lanes

And pay preference.

Some have direct deposit so you have to provide bank info too.

And then their carrier packet as some call it which is a contract that says basically you won't steal their customer for 12 months.

If it's done correctly, it's just a regurgitated for of FMCSA regulations.

Otherwise it's pretty easy for an attorney to tear it apart.

Uber was extremely simple. Got the email and simply filled in the documents and electronically signed, then sent an email with my insurance information.

Completely blocked from everything else right now, waiting on FMCSA. Done everything I can do.

I signed up for DAT Power. $149/month, but I get some free time with it while I learn it. Very simple to use, and tons of features. My next step with it will be to start doing the onboarding process with it to get carrier packets going with as many broker as I can through the system.
... That's my starting point.
You'd know better than I, but in my case...
I signed up with many brokers at the beginning, but now I'm only using few. Some I never even bothered calling after I signed up. I'd look at the lanes I want to run or have been running and see which brokers post loads, then I'd sign up with them.
I like some, but they rarely post loads to where I want to go. So now I just use the brokers that knows me (and they are local to me). Also, TQL has many loads posted to the places I go, so I haul most for them.

EDIT: some brokers have consistently lower rate than others (in the same lane, same load), and vice versa, some have consistently higher rate. I need to change to higher rate brokers, but it's so easy just to do the 'done deal' type broker loads...

Uber was extremely simple. Got the email and simply filled in the documents and electronically signed, then sent an email with my insurance information.

Completely blocked from everything else right now, waiting on FMCSA. Done everything I can do.
Interesting. Obviously I am not an owner, but I am curious as to how Uber works. Keep us posted.
I will go back to my corner now and be ROM:tapeshut:

Interesting. Obviously I am not an owner, but I am curious as to how Uber works. Keep us posted.
I will go back to my corner now and be ROM:tapeshut:

Interested to find out myself. They have set detention, layover, and VNU rates for all of their loads.

Personally, I think this is the direction brokers will be going in the future. Maybe not exactly this way, but folks like Uber and Convoy are going to cause things to change in the broker industry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread