What are Some of Your Favorite Things About Trucking?

slowpoke

Like a lot of others, I am considering changing careers and getting into trucking. What are some of you the things you like best about trucking and some of the things you like least? Would you recommend it as a career change? No pun intended but; how do you mange to keep your sanity being on the road all day?

That's how I keep my sanity... staying on the road all week. I don't like people much. The world has turned into a self involved rush of me first. It has infiltrated the industry that I was once in love with. Now I'm just in love with the road. I enjoy seeing sunrises and sunsets in all the different states. I love going ocean to ocean in 48 hours. I love the challenge of winter driving in the mountains. I love the challenge of north east driving and keeping all my paint intact. I love serving my country in the way I do now.

This industry has changed in the 20 years I've served it. Some for the good, much of it for the bad. Will it ever go back to the days like when I started? No. But I strive to be a pin prick of light that shine positive on this industry. It's really all any of us can do. Take pride in what you do and be the best at what you do.

I liked waking up in a different place every morning. I didn't like the long hours and consistently working 60-70-80 hours every week.

Like a lot of others, I am considering changing careers and getting into trucking. What are some of you the things you like best about trucking and some of the things you like least? Would you recommend it as a career change? No pun intended but; how do you mange to keep your sanity being on the road all day?
Sanity? Let sanity go and just be. Trucking offers alot of time to self examine one self, Look deep inside. It also offers the opportunity of people watching looking at the behavours of others.. Ride the highs, live out the lows. Truckers are some of the most interesting people I know.

This industry has changed in the 20 years I've served it. Some for the good, much of it for the bad. Will it ever go back to the days like when I started? No. But I strive to be a pin prick of light that shine positive on this industry. It's really all any of us can do. Take pride in what you do and be the best at what you do.
Well said! take pride in what you do. Pay attention to detail. Take pride in your ride no matter what you drive.

Sharing those road stories with your co-workers when you run into them at the truck stop, (because they are the only ones that understand them) coming home after a long week or more on the road. taking pride in your ride, seeing things you would never have seen, loving your job. just my .02, some wont understand.
Ike

I stopped driving a few weeks ago because of a promotion within the Transportation Industry itself but I do miss it.

I'm going to mirror what others have already said. I never ran Coast to Coast but was a Midwest Regional guy. I loved the road itself. The challenges I faced that seem monumental at the time have now become a war story if you will. Only Truckers understand Truckers. I would come home to my wife and start blabbing on about how crazy the road was and all I got was a puzzled look sometimes. I would tell the same story to another driver and get his similar story. We can relate to each other.

Trucking can be lonely at times. I did a lot of soul searching. I also had some very good conversations with other drivers. You see, what people don't understand is Truckers have nothing but time to listen. We listen to talk radio for hours. Programs that are informative and keep us abreast on the world we see through our side mirrors. I have only met a few drivers who were complete jackasses and got the short end of natures stick. Most of the drivers I chose to deal with were sharp, all the way around.

Truckers are a good bunch of people. We move this country one load at a time. While Joe Blow does his 9-5 and is 'bushed' at the end of his day, we have 6 or more hours left in our day. While people take refuge from winter weather and get all freaked out by 'Snowmageddon' we push on. While people sleep at night, we hammer down and avoid all the mindless idiots to make good time and to ultimately make our living.

Trucking is what you make of it. It isn't for the faint of heart. You need to have thick skin. You need to be able to laugh, cry, and do it in one day. I had some of the best highs when I drove. I have also never been as scared in my life during certain situations.

What a ride!

Raindrops on windshields and oil on my pant leg
Bright copper headlights and warm woolen work gloves
Brown paper crap packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Sharing those road stories with your co-workers when you run into them at the truck stop, (because they are the only ones that understand them) coming home after a long week or more on the road. taking pride in your ride, seeing things you would never have seen, loving your job. just my .02, some wont understand.
Ike
Well said driver! I have been to the point of high on lack of sleep, When getting home time and got the thousand yard stare, Friends that I can generaly relate to start talking and I am looking right throught them like what the hell are you talking about? I excused myself and walked away because I could not relate to what they where saying.

I stopped driving a few weeks ago because of a promotion within the Transportation Industry itself but I do miss it.

I'm going to mirror what others have already said. I never ran Coast to Coast but was a Midwest Regional guy. I loved the road itself. The challenges I faced that seem monumental at the time have now become a war story if you will. Only Truckers understand Truckers. I would come home to my wife and start blabbing on about how crazy the road was and all I got was a puzzled look sometimes. I would tell the same story to another driver and get his similar story. We can relate to each other.

Trucking can be lonely at times. I did a lot of soul searching. I also had some very good conversations with other drivers. You see, what people don't understand is Truckers have nothing but time to listen. We listen to talk radio for hours. Programs that are informative and keep us abreast on the world we see through our side mirrors. I have only met a few drivers who were complete jackasses and got the short end of natures stick. Most of the drivers I chose to deal with were sharp, all the way around.

Truckers are a good bunch of people. We move this country one load at a time. While Joe Blow does his 9-5 and is 'bushed' at the end of his day, we have 6 or more hours left in our day. While people take refuge from winter weather and get all freaked out by 'Snowmageddon' we push on. While people sleep at night, we hammer down and avoid all the mindless idiots to make good time and to ultimately make our living.

Trucking is what you make of it. It isn't for the faint of heart. You need to have thick skin. You need to be able to laugh, cry, and do it in one day. I had some of the best highs when I drove. I have also never been as scared in my life during certain situations.

What a ride!
Truer words have never been spoken BROTHER! It is a roller coaster ride, Hang on! The 9 to 5`ers like to ride the carousel it just goes round and round.

As an owner operator I like being able to choose where I go (for the most part), but mostly I like being able to take vacation whenever I want for as long as I want (as long as I can afford it). Everything else sucks. The high pay is an allusion; its not that high considering you work 80 hours per week (most of which is not paid) in one of the top ten most dangerous professions; away from home and family; no carrier advancement; and your under constant scrutiny from law enforcement agencies.

Every day's a new beginning, a new challenge. It has saved my life and my sanity and jeapordised both. It's shown me incredible beauty and incredible ugliness. It's both freedom and bondage both at the same time. I've loved it and hated it. It's not for the weak of mind or heart. But it can fill a thirsty soul.

Trucking will be whatever you are, nothing more or less.

Reactions: Ike

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread