trying to get in the saddle

chevy454

I was about weeks away from going to trucking to get into the business but after reading so much negative thing s about the industry i changed my mind about the whole trucking idea, now i recently gained interest about driving again and i have some questions.

1. Is the trucking industry really that bad?
2. whats the best company so start off with to flatbed?
3. whats the best way to get into heavy hauling

Question 2 and 3 I cannot answer.But no, trucking is'nt as bad as what they say.It's what u make of it.You come into the industry all sour and everything then yes you are going to hate it.But u come in with an upbeat possitive attitude and not complain about everylittle thing then your dispatcher can be your best friend.As far as all the laws goes yes they do suck but u have to learn to live with it.You get use to it.

I was about weeks away from going to trucking to get into the business but after reading so much negative thing s about the industry i changed my mind about the whole trucking idea, now i recently gained interest about driving again and i have some questions.

1. Is the trucking industry really that bad?
2. whats the best company so start off with to flatbed?
3. whats the best way to get into heavy hauling

if your drawing unemployment continue to do so!

Driving a truck is not a bad way to make living. Living out of one sux tho. If your going to get in it, do a specialty(flatbed, heavy haul,triaxle etc) don't get stuck just pulling a regular box trailer and stay away from any automatic companies also. Driving for a LTL company is the way to go. Your driving a truck and home every day.

stay away from any automatic companies also. Driving for a LTL company is the way to go.

Cerberus,

What do you mean by "automatic companies" and "LTL companies"? LTL I think has something to do with deliveries, right? Food, drink, or Garbage pick-up, etc???

By the way, thank you for the Newbie tip about the KY ("what to pack" post), went to Sam's club and got the 3 lbs jar! :thumbsup:

SirDude

Cerberus,

What do you mean by "automatic companies" and "LTL companies"? LTL I think has something to do with deliveries, right? Food, drink, or Garbage pick-up, etc???

By the way, thank you for the Newbie tip about the KY ("what to pack" post), went to Sam's club and got the 3 lbs jar! :thumbsup:

SirDude

Sorry should have been a little more clear about that automatic thing. I am refering to the automatic transmissions/trucks that some companies are running now. Driving an automatic truck IMO is not a good idea. It really limits what you can do later down the road if that company doesn't work out. Say you've been working at usexpress for a yr or two and decide you want to change jobs to something more local. You and another driver apply for the job, your both equally pleasing to company but since he has manual trans exp and you don't he/she gets the job. Driving an automatic really limits your options down the road. LTL stands for "less than truckload" and thats like UPS or companies like that. Really good places to check out is secondary beverage or mail companies. I've noticed that even tho coke,pepsi and Budweiser have great benefits , their pay scale sucks. Finding a secondary company that delivers the same product pays better and usually more lax to work for. Finding a secondary company running mail is a little more difficult but is possible. These companies pay really well just to run from post office in one town to post office in another town.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread