Toyota Prius Door Latch/lock

Mike

The latch, lock, all one assembly. Only thing you reuse is the cables. This one is the passenger side front. I replaced the drivers side about a year ago.

Last year, the part was $165. This year, same part just the opposite side, was $400.

And this year, @Maria replaced it while I watched. She’s becoming a regular mechanic.

image.jpg

What model year is the Prius?
2015 Prius C.

They like to bundle things. Called on a fuel filter. Seriously, I had no clue where it was. Turns out, it is part of the fuel pump assembly. Toyota only sells the entire assembly for $400. You can get the filter, which is basically just a sock type filter, but then you have to disassemble the whole thing to put it in. The sock filter is inside the housing which keeps fuel tank sediment away from it.

We just went over 100k miles, I think they recommend replacing at 75k. Haven’t looked at the manual since 2015 though.

2015 Prius C.

They like to bundle things. Called on a fuel filter. Seriously, I had no clue where it was. Turns out, it is part of the fuel pump assembly. Toyota only sells the entire assembly for $400. You can get the filter, which is basically just a sock type filter, but then you have to disassemble the whole thing to put it in. The sock filter is inside the housing which keeps fuel tank sediment away from it.

We just went over 100k miles, I think they recommend replacing at 75k. Haven’t looked at the manual since 2015 though.
I didn't realize it was that old. Expensive parts but not exactly something to call junk.

so that i never have to pay for any repairs?

use'em, abuse'em, turn'em in, get another please.
I wouldn’t want to make those payments constantly, and I hate getting rid of vehicles that are doing well for me.

We bought this in 2015, been paid off since 2017 or 18. Can’t remember when we actually paid it off. So far, just the two door latches have been replaced.

Time to get it in for trans service, cause I don’t want to mess with fluid disposal. Other than that, I feel like it’s going to continue being problem free for a while.

It’s basically the kids car now, be great if it gets both of them through high school.

I wouldn’t want to make those payments constantly, and I hate getting rid of vehicles that are doing well for me.

We bought this in 2015, been paid off since 2017 or 18. Can’t remember when we actually paid it off. So far, just the two door latches have been replaced.

Time to get it in for trans service, cause I don’t want to mess with fluid disposal. Other than that, I feel like it’s going to continue being problem free for a while.

It’s basically the kids car now, be great if it gets both of them through high school.
as i near retirement, i cannot fix many things myself, like i used to. then the costs of those repairs once out of warranty.

cheaper to lease.

The latch, lock, all one assembly. Only thing you reuse is the cables. This one is the passenger side front. I replaced the drivers side about a year ago.

Last year, the part was $165. This year, same part just the opposite side, was $400.

And this year, @Maria replaced it while I watched. She’s becoming a regular mechanic.

View attachment 85236
Another Nice thingy about Old American Cars..

Latch or lock got stuck stick a screwdriver up there pop it loose...

Probably rusted too so afterwards some PB Blaster and all set another few years or so..

Today everything is half Foreign Manufactured and "Complicated" by "Design" I think too..

Hell young folks today can't even change their oil, change a spare tire or even a Jump Start for that matter so a "Moot" Point I guess..

I blame Insurance Companies and Free Roadside..

as i near retirement, i cannot fix many things myself, like i used to. then the costs of those repairs once out of warranty.

cheaper to lease.
LOL just trade up once the warranty runs out. find a back yard mech never take it to the steelership for work. also when you lease there's no truth in lending!!!

LOL just trade up once the warranty runs out. find a back yard mech never take it to the steelership for work. also when you lease there's no truth in lending!!!
Or buy a Base-Model...

Got Rid of my Silverado and bought a 2015 Jeep Patriot Base Halloween Sale 15k out the door "Brand New"

Stick-Shift...Crank Windows...No Screen in Dash....or any other Extra Fancy Junk to go Magically go "Kaput" right after the 5 year Factory Warranty "Expires"

Steel Wheels , the crappy plastic interior..

35k now only Oil Changes and the Base Goodyear Tires " Sucked" in the Snow put nearly $600 bucks into a good set of All -Seasons..

Other than that not a "Single" Failure nor Problem although I'm gonna switch out the Battery before Winter because the Mopar Factory Issue will be going on 7 years old

bigger down payments, bigger monthly payments.

i have leased 3 Camrys for my dealer.

the first was the required down payment.

the next 2, no down payments.

my next one (soon i hope) will be no down payment, i got 1 year left on the current lease, and that is paid off. dealer is bugging me to trade it in, for another.

Or buy a Base-Model...

Got Rid of my Silverado and bought a 2015 Jeep Patriot Base Halloween Sale 15k out the door "Brand New"

Stick-Shift...Crank Windows...No Screen in Dash....or any other Extra Fancy Junk to go Magically go "Kaput" right after the 5 year Factory Warranty "Expires"

Steel Wheels , the crappy plastic interior..

35k now only Oil Changes and the Base Goodyear Tires " Sucked" in the Snow put nearly $600 bucks into a good set of All -Seasons..

Other than that not a "Single" Failure nor Problem although I'm gonna switch out the Battery before Winter because the Mopar Factory Issue will be going on 7 years old
Look at the set-up too...."SIMPLE" gotta go back late-1980s early 1990s open a good that get a "set-up" that Basic..

Since the better part of the 1990s car companies went to the cram everything all-together in less space model..

Gotta take 3/4 things off just to change an alternator or get to s serpentine belt.16308599496186936356112644299342.jpg

cheaper to lease.
I draw the line at buying special tools or having things taken apart overnight.

I’ll drop it off at the dealer and have them do the work while I’m gone over 14-18 days.

my truck warranty work done recently proved why even having them do oil changes is beneficial.

“we need records of ALL of your oil services to cover the rocker arms.”

“here’s all but the first one. But I’ve got oil samples from that same period as well as from last Monday when I dropped it off for the work….”

“Warranty approved.” Estimate was $8000. My cost. $300.

the value of doing your own work fast looses it appeal for record keeping like that.

I’ll drop it off at the dealer and have them do the work while I’m gone over 14-18 days.

my truck warranty work done recently proved why even having them do oil changes is beneficial.

“here’s all but the first one. But I’ve got oil samples from that same period as well as from last Monday when I dropped it off for the work….”

the value of doing your own work fast looses it appeal for record keeping like that.
I draw the "line" at we are including abuncha of extra stuff I don't want nor need then call that a Base Model "charge" me extra for it..

Then slowly Nickel & Dime me half to death as the crap fails and breaks..

Plus Fancy Wheels and Fancy Looks always gotta be cleaning and shining the wheels too..

My Jeep Patriot gets washed when I got 8 "Fill-ups" card punched for the Free Carwash and Good Enough

and back in my wrench turning career, i must have had every specialty tool that was required for the job. that was costly, and very sickening.

getting into truck driving, was the best thing i did for my wallet.

when i bought my cars/trucks, i kept all service records as well.

got me a free toyota oil pan, labor due to my maintenance records from the dealership.

would have been nearly $500 otherwise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread