Truckers Health Time to execute….

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
So the reality is, we have started to execute the plan to get out of the truck. This has always been a 24-36 month timeframe and the time is now.

A lot of that has to do with my guard retirement pay kicking in around 8/2025.

With all of the health concerns, hassles etc, it’s just time.

Heart attack in 2015 lead to a cpap in 2016 and the associated hassles with an annual dot physical has just sucked all the enjoyment out of this career anymore.

Dealing with two sets of parents who are at end of life with serious medical issues, with my mom being in a memory care facility now. We recently placed her on hospice. Talk about an eye opening lesson there.

There’s things coming that I might and might not share.

But for one’s own health, the question now begs…

What IS your exit plan for retirement?

Last edited:
Like you, with pensions and SS about to kick in, everything paid and no family left to worry about, I'm just going to give notice and cash it in, so I can enjoy the rest of my life with my wife, the dog and my classic cars.

Now, if I can just get the stock market to come back and pay some dividends again.

my exit plan was to go as long as i could as well.

as long as i can pass a DOT. as it is, my job is really not that tough, and it is only about 8.5 to 9.75 hours, weather dependant.

good luck, get out now while you still can, and relax and enjoy your life.

It's the DOT's every year and the people? out there in vehicles with no traffic law enforcement is what's making it difficult. My job is an 8 hour a day cakewalk. I probably make it harder with my lack of patience with stupidity and laziness.

I can take my blood pressure 20 times a day and it's perfectly within the regulatory guidelines. As soon as I walk into ANY doctor's office or clinic, I get amped up. I tell them it's white coat syndrome and they take the BP 3-4 times, hoping it will come down, but it just gets higher. They write me in as legal and get me out of there before I stroke out in the office. I just hate doctors and their offices.

It's the DOT's every year and the people? out there in vehicles with no traffic law enforcement is what's making it difficult. My job is an 8 hour a day cakewalk. I probably make it harder with my lack of patience with stupidity and laziness.

I can take my blood pressure 20 times a day and it's perfectly within the regulatory guidelines. As soon as I walk into ANY doctor's office or clinic, I get amped up. I tell them it's white coat syndrome and they take the BP 3-4 times, hoping it will come down, but it just gets higher. They write me in as legal and get me out of there before I stroke out in the office. I just hate doctors and their offices.
same thing happens to me, "white coat" anxiety.....

they let me sit for a while, then proceed, and i pass.

I get an annual dot physical…. No big deal.

My heart attack has me going back so a bi-annual stress test for the dot as well. Hearing aids are now mandatory as well as a cpap.

My cardiologist retired in November 2021, my dot physical doctor in April 2022. At least the three of us understood what was going on and all of us knew what the other was looking for to make stuff happen.

The replacement cardiologist was actually his main RN who got her license as a nurse practitioner to do his job and continue on and was basically doing the cardiologist job anyway. But still. She nows the routine at least…

My guard retirement is sufficient I can get a job which will let me be home nightly and I really don’t need to work hard or much to maintain my current lifestyle. Like $14,000 income a year. You have to work hard at not being able to earn that kind of income nowadays.

For that kind of effort, driving a truck is definitely not worth it for the income you earn. Especially as an o/o. I’ll cash in the equity of my equipment at that time and go enjoy my life with my bride and build our dream place.

I’d add the panoramic view, but the forum says the picture is too big.

E099DE85-F1F3-486C-97B4-61FE0D1EB5D5.png

5 1/2 wooded acres from 5 miles from town and the nearest rail road track. 1/2 mile long driveway off a 10-ton axle road. Has a Quonset shed on it already and the lot has been stripped clean of all other buildings. Rural water/sewer, electricity are already at the property as well.

We currently live 650’ from a main rail line that get 10-15 trains a day. At all hours.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread